• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes what does this mean?

chriso

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2008
California
I was on another forum and a guy was messing with his mark 4 this was his original post. Now what I don't get is the recentering his zero and why is he pulling the damn caps off? I just figre if you move you're zero you dial back down... someone help me understand this!

"I established my zero at the range.
I would like to recenter my turrets to zero.
I have the 6.5-20x50 Leupold mk4
I backed out the screw on the top turret, set it where I wanted it and put the screw back in. good to go on elevation

I have tried to do the same thing to the windage knob but no success.
any advice? the screw comes out but the turret seems to be stuck to the scope. It turns while still making clicking. I can't get it off.
Am I doing something wrong? "

Re: what does this mean?

Well I understand that but why would one unscrew the caps and put them back in if he found the zero already? Would one not just remember the hash mark why take of the caps and out back on?

He's not unscrewing the cap he's unscrewing the set screw and then slipping the turret to ZERO and re-tightening the set screw.

Cheers,

Doc

So it does not move you're POI when you do that? It just makes it so the turret is on O so you can remember what hash mark to dial down to zero and it says zero correct? I did not know this... Now Ill have to do that with my scope...

Correct.

Unscrewing the set screws release the caps from the turret shafts and allow them to spin free without moving the scope's internal mechanism (erector assembly).

Setting your turrets to zero is mandatory if you do a lot of dialing for windage/elevation correction at different yardages. Otherwise it's very easy to get lost on the turret and not be able to return to zero.

Another tip is after you set your turret to "0" make a simple drawing in your databook of the hash marks visible under the cap. This way if you get lost on a different rotation you can refer back to the drawing of the number of hashes available and get back to zero. (or just take a marker and color over those marks visible at zero)

See I thought he would be moving his POI I have been shooting without re zeroing my caps for probably a year or two at ranges out to 1000 yards and I have had some trouble sometimes getting back to zero it's hard to remember a hash mark plus 4 or something like that haha...

One other trick is to take a 1/2" piece of correction tape or chart tape and place it so that its just under the knob at your 100 yard zero AND your zero wind.

You can see it on the windage knob here.

DSC00115.jpg

Cheers,

Doc

Some caps are splined, which means the screws must be backed out several turns, then the caps lifted and rotated to the zero mark, then pushed back down and the screw retightened firmly, but not excessively.

Something else to consider with your quest for scope zero is establishing your mechanical zero first. Run your elevation and windage knobs all the way in one direction so that they rest on the last distinct click (some scopes will not end on a click detent). Then carefully count your clicks rotating the turret until you reach the last distinct click the other way. Write down this number for future reference and then divide your windage and elevation in half and turn your turrets back that amount. This is your mechanical zero. How this benefits you; when you go to bore sight your scope to the rifle you will be able to determine if you have a ring and base issue that may cause you to run out of or lose some of your adjustments at long ranges if you have to adjust one or the other to extremes to get your 100 yard zero, something is not right. Plus is you really get lost this may give you a starting point to get your scope back in the neighborhood. With the quality of good rings and bases now days this is not as critical but with the older scopes, rings, and bases with limited adjustments it could pose a problem. Getting your mechanical zero with the old bases that have course windage adjustments this could be huge if your base is not used to get you in the ball park zero then fine tuning with the turret. Elevation can be a little tricky especially with MOA added to the base but will at least provide you with an idea of how much adjustment you may have for close distances once you have brought the elevation down to accommodate a 100 yard zero. Just some food for thought I do not know if anyone even does this anymore but it has always helped me insure that mechanically the relationship between the rifle and the scope is good to go prior to adjusting my zero with rounds on target. I hope this added to the discussion and did not confuse the issue.

Danel

Danel's procedure is a useful one. Just make sure that you are looking through the scope when you are moving the reticle, to ensure that the reticle is actually moving. I have seen scopes on which the turrets would continue moving when the reticle had reached the limits of its travel.

Once I have zeroed the scope at 100 yards, I put up a measuring stick at 100 yards, and use the procedure outlined in the link below to ensure that the scope has sufficient remaining elevation travel to shoot as far as I intend to with that rifle, as well as making sure that the elevation clicks are accurate and in the units they are alleged to be in.

Optically Checking Rifle Scopes

Lindy,

I knew after working all night I would forget something, I am just glad I didn't misspell the multi-syllable words. The link is great information. One of these days I am going to compile all of the scope related info from mounting the base and rings and mounting the scope to zeroing and checking the function and accuracy. I am not doing much better after just a couple of hours in the rack but the bathroom remodel has to get done before there is a full out mutiny here at the house. Take care and thanks again for your input, I never fail to glean insight from your offerings.

Be safe,

Danel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One other trick is to take a 1/2" piece of correction tape or chart tape and place it so that its just under the knob at your 100 yard zero AND your zero wind.

You can see it on the windage knob here.

Cheers,

Doc
</div></div>

I do the same, but with a silver sharpy. It'll come off with alcohol if I need to establish a new zero.