• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What does your Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD muzzle look like?

kopje

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2014
Hi Folks,

I just got a 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD. However the muzzle of the rifle is pretty rough. It looks like it was not processed and polished. I have not seen a similar one by googling. Do any of your AAC-SD muzzle look like this:
21879FB4-1DE9-4059-9398-BCC632119853.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Is that a new rifle?
It looks to me like it's been fired quite a bit with some sort of muzzle device attached.
Mine was faced (machined) flat with a pretty nice surface finish (smooth) and an even phosphate (Parkerized) treatment.

Is that a new rifle?
It looks to me like it's been fired quite a bit with some sort of muzzle device attached.
Mine was faced (machined) flat with a pretty nice surface finish (smooth) and an even phosphate (Parkerized) treatment.

My thoughts exactly. That rifle has been fired before.

Thanks guys.
[MENTION=97829]delixe[/MENTION], it is a used rifle, and the original owner claims that it has only 10 shots so far. Overall the rifle looks pretty new. I am asking him whether he has used a muzzle brake before.

If it is new unfired then ya you got a problem but if its used... yes, it looks like mine after shooting with a comp on the muzzle for 50-100 rounds. Carbon builds up and the pattern is the mirror image of your rifling.

Guys thanks a lot for your opinions.

I got this rifle used. However the original owner claims that he bought it new and has shot only 10 rounds through it - the rifle does look like new and especially from the minimal wear of the bolt and the receiver. I just contacted with him, and he said he never installed any muzzle device on it before.

If it is carbon built from shooting, it should be cleaned up by solvent. I will try some solvent this evening. Initial look and scratch using my nail it looks like metal...

Is there something one is supposed to do it avoid this? Should I expect it to happen to my rifle? I just put a comp on. Does it degrade accuracy? Can it be removed?

A break should have no effect on accuracy as long as it's torqued on decently.

I'm specifically asking about the build-up of carbon under the break, like the OP has shown. Is that an issue? Does anything need to be done to avoid/address it?

Another 'only had about a dozen rounds through it!' That actually means about a dozen boxes! Scrub, scrub, scrub with some bore cleaner and an old toothbrush. While you're at it, scrub the bolt face and extractor. I'll bet it's dirty too.

Initial look and scratch using my nail it looks like metal...
I doubt its proper cleaning etiquette but I use something hard to break it loose. Just don’t use anything hard enough to damage the steel... hard plastic and/or wood pop sickle sticks work.
Does it degrade accuracy? Can it be removed?
No, I have not noticed it degrading accuracy, but it doesn't look terribly nice on a otherwise clean rifle.