• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What does your tool box look like?

Datsrboi

Ninja
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2011
DFW,TX USA
I know most people on here are hard working tool wrenching beasts. Money has always gone into my toys but recently finally invested in some nicer tools and clean up. I even have a drawer for building gun tools. Let me see what you guys/gals have.

IMG_1705.JPG

My tool box and roll cart. The job box wasn't mine but I have added a piano style job box since that picture. I really need more storage but the doctor said I may have to change careers if my breathing doesn't get any better. Talk about a mid life crisis wondering what the fuck to do with your life when this is pretty much all you have done for 20 years.

20170421_105809.jpg
20170421_105826.jpg

I know most people on here are hard working tool wrenching beasts. Money has always gone into my toys but recently finally invested in some nicer tools and clean up. I even have a drawer for building gun tools. Let me see what you guys/gals have.

View attachment 7184607
I'll get some garage box and truck box pics tomorrow

Looked at some of that ICON stuff at harbor freight yesterday. I was very impressed by the ratchets. Yes I know what a good ratchet feels like, I have well over $1k worth of snap on ratchets in my box. Tempted to get one to try out.

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
My travel tool cart at my buddy's shop where we are building his Factory 5 truck.

Attachments

• IMG_20190403_200517388.jpg
    IMG_20190403_200517388.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20190403_195620239.jpg
    IMG_20190403_195620239.jpg
    575.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20190403_195701186.jpg
    IMG_20190403_195701186.jpg
    606.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20190403_195741515.jpg
    IMG_20190403_195741515.jpg
    751.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20190403_195815493.jpg
    IMG_20190403_195815493.jpg
    726.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20190403_200645261.jpg
    IMG_20190403_200645261.jpg
    633.2 KB · Views: 148
Reactions: camocorvette
I get it now.....Book hours and actual work hours. No wonder professional techs always have tool boxes that look like a surgical operating room. LOL

Just picked up a Husky workbench. If I threw out half the crap I don't need I'd have three or four empty drawers to fill.

Reactions: Bradu
I don't turn wrenches for a living (except on the rare occasion that the day job requires a bit of it), so my setup ain't all that special. This is the main box, and there is a smaller Craftsman stack that has some of the lesser-used stuff (pullers, specialty tools, tap & die sets, etc.). The pole barn has its own smaller cart with tools for the mill and lathe. My electronics lab also gets its own box, but the irony here is that it's by far the physically smallest collection of tools, despite the fact that it is indeed my day job.

My old man was a diesel tech, so starting at around age 15, he started buying me Craftsman tools for my birthday and Christmas. It wasn't much at first, but it added up over a few years, and I still have 95% of those tools (minus a few sockets, prybars, and screwdrivers that have gone to the tool graveyard).

20170605_201000.jpg

My tool box and roll cart. The job box wasn't mine but I have added a piano style job box since that picture. I really need more storage but the doctor said I may have to change careers if my breathing doesn't get any better. Talk about a mid life crisis wondering what the fuck to do with your life when this is pretty much all you have done for 20 years.

View attachment 7184620View attachment 7184621

I don't see a distributor wrench.

Reactions: oneshot86
That's funny, a distributer wrench. Never thought it would be almost obsolete. Still have one tho.
Great comment.
We're your distribs in the back of the engine or like mine, the front

Back of the engine. Times have changed so much and I really hate to see how bad vehicles and heavy equipment will be to work on in another 20-30 years.

Looked at some of that ICON stuff at harbor freight yesterday. I was very impressed by the ratchets. Yes I know what a good ratchet feels like, I have well over $1k worth of snap on ratchets in my box. Tempted to get one to try out.
The wrenches are very good for the money if you have the 20% coupon it currently has. The Rachket and the sockets on the other hands are not as strong like the snap on. It works amazing just tad bit soft if you treat it like a snapon hard. But for an average joe like me and ease of warranty replacement I decided to go with them. I am also using a few Gearwrench.

That's funny, a distributer wrench. Never thought it would be almost obsolete. Still have one tho.
Great comment.
We're your distribs in the back of the engine or like mine, the front

Ewww! In the front? Mopars are icky!

The snap in is my home box. I brought it home and bought a Matco tool cart. Then you got my Mobil tool box ?
E9E265EC-70EB-4716-8FF2-BAC3B715ABD1.jpeg
BC611FCE-DDE2-4B7A-AD2E-C9D21DC59674.jpeg
5ECDA555-A4E9-41DD-B1A3-ED81ABBBC496.jpeg

Bet he has a distributor wrench.

Heh, that brings back memories of childhood, and asking my dad why one of his wrenches has so many funny bends. Figured it out pretty quickly when my buddies and I started messing around with small block Chevy motors in our first POS 70s crapboxes.

I'm almost a bit ashamed to admit that I no longer own anything with a distributor, nor do I have a distributor wrench.

O.P., A lot like that, but not like that. BUT, I do know where all my shit is. Heck, if I had a tool box like a lot of you have, I'd never leave the shop! Mac:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Don't have one. I have a soft six-pack cooler with only the essentials. It goes to the range with me.

There is no six pack. That's for another time and place.

Besides, my real drink is Rum 'n Coke. Gets me there faster with less splissin' around.

Greg

From working the Trades, I've a number of boxes. Problem is, I've more tools than I have boxes to put them in. Not only that, but then there's the 'area' tools too. There's things that go with/pertaining to the machines (Lathe/Mill), then there's things that go in 'The Room', then there's all the rest that are in the chests/boxes in the shop.

I don't have "everything", by all means. And, all my tools are paid for. And have been well used over the years. But there's still a few things I'd like to have.

And yeah, having a small-block chevy 350 for the I/O on our '80s SeaRay Weekender has it's own requirements as well. Add to that, the 2 spare engine blocks, as well as the spare complete 800 Stringer system and then things are 'back the way they should be'. As in "still wrenchable" and whatnot. Though there could definitely be a few more design improvements.

My Lady and I are always working on one particular project or another. And she is often amazed when we get to a point and I say "hang on a minute, I'll be right back" and then arrive with exactly the pertaining tool/jig that is needed for this unorthodox situation. Then she'll comment "where they hell did that come from....?" and I've said many times, you'd be surprised what-all we've got stored in the basement.

I'm sure some of you will get that.

People would be surprised.

I really, really miss my shadow foamed tool boxes we had in the Air Force.
Like this:

Screenshot_20191117-122331_Chrome.jpg

Everything was exactly where we wanted it in the order of most often used.

Mine at home looks more like John's explosion.
Too many tools that don't match and not enough room for them anyway.

I really, really miss my shadow foamed tool boxes we had in the Air Force.
Like this:

View attachment 7184839

Everything was exactly where we wanted it in the order of most often used.

Mine at home looks more like John's explosion.
Too many tools that don't match and not enough room for them anyway.
Yep, working A/C, every time we packed-up and left a job, we inventoried our boxes and the foam cut-outs made it easier to see if something was missing (F.O.D.) and if it was, that plane didn't go anywhere, period, until it was found/recovered. Mac

Yep, working A/C, every time we packed-up and left a job, we inventoried our boxes and the foam cut-outs made it easier to see if something was missing (F.O.D.) and if it was, that plane didn't go anywhere, period, until it was found/recovered. Mac

I remember those days.
Inventory it when you sign it out, when you're done with the job, and when you turned it in.

The worst was when some dumb ass would work multiple aircraft and not inventory or sign the sheet between jobs. Something would usually come up missing.
The missing tools were usually found in the FOD can or the tool bag.

Will have to grab pics later. My primary box is a Craftman Pro series that is about the size of this one. I also have 2 triple tier 26 inch boxes and multiple workbenches with tools in them. As a GM tech, then a diesel mechanic for a heavy equipment company, then a chassis fabricator for desert race cars, I have a varied selection of tools. The sad part is, I blew my welder up three years ago and never replaced it. (yes, it actually exploded in the shop) Currently rebuilding a 302 for my 96 F150, then on to my 1969 FJ project with a 351C.
1574023352897.png

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I remember those days.
Inventory it when you sign it out, when you're done with the job, and when you turned it in.

The worst was when some dumb ass would work multiple aircraft and not inventory or sign the sheet between jobs. Something would usually come up missing.
The missing tools were usually found in the FOD can or the tool bag.
Memories:), before, after, during.....and yes, inevitably somebody would come along and "borrow" something, then you'd have that "Oh shit!" moment just before launch and everyone is scrambling. Shit, I use to do boats, ATV's, snowmobiles, motorcycles and my own vehicles and I never had boxes such as these other dudes have, I'm jealous! Mac?