• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Dog to get........

still_N_29palms

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2011
Somerville, Alabama
Recently our family has lost our loving dog a Pit/American Bulldog solid black went by the name Sergeant. Me and the wife have decided on one of these three types of breeds. We do live in Twentynine Palms Cali crime here is relitivly high with the meth heads. My house is one of 3 (inside dog owners)on my road that has not been broken into in the last year, partly cause of our house dog.

We are looking at either going with a ....

American Bulldog - loving, smart, loyal, calm, proctive of family but has tendancy to befriend anyone quickly. generally 60-80 lbs

Bull Mastiff - same as above but needs to devolope trust outside of family 80- 110 lbs

Neopolitan Mastiff - Loving loyal smart extreamily protective of property and family, but a "pack mentality" needs to know where he belongs in the pack, disiplin issues can become a problem with younger children. Mine are old enough to cope with this. Slobbers. 100-120 lbs.

Re: What Dog to get........

out of those 3, Bull Mastiff.

For a loving, loyal, protective, family, easily trainable guard dog I would seriously check out:

Argentino Dogo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogo_Argentino

Boerboel Mastiff
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boerboel

either of these dogs would make an armed stranger shit their pants if they came uninvited into your yard or house. I have friends with both breeds. they are awesome dogs, impressive for sure.

Neopolitans suck. My good friend bred them for years, they're mean as fire and an absolute headache.

American bull dog there great dogs good with kids but very protective , they look like pits and scary the shit out of people do to there size plus the other ones eat why to much lol... I owned one and it was one of the best dogs I've had

Basenji. My Brother has had them for going on 5 decades, and they have been loyal protectors of his family and home without being annoying barkers. Smarter than a lot of humans.

Greg

You really need to look hard at a female Cane Corso. She will fit the size(maybe a little less) same as the other mastiff's, have the loyalty, and lack of fear of the pitt/amstaff, and be a total pushover to you and your kids with the security consciousness ways of a Marine Wife at a hall filled with strippers and you.
Cane Corso's are kick ass and can hold their own against anything you can throw at them

and yes, a female Cane Corso is going to be our next dog

http://www.canecorso.org/working_photos.html

My boy just before he passed away. Tibetan Mastiff is the only breed of dog I will ever own again.

04210818162.jpg

Very protective, great with kids and a very deep, bellowing bark.

Get a German Sheppard, you cant go wrong especially if its trained rite

I had a mastiff mix. Amazing dogs. He was lab/American-mastiff/rottie. You pretty much can't go wrong here.

Have you considered a Chesapeake Retriever? Will guard the perimeter out of instinct, great family mentality, loyal, its like a Labrador retriever with Rottweiler attitude and a little junkyard dog thrown in lol.
chesapeake_bay_retriever_02_puppies_for_sale.jpg

btw here is Donkey, he is my ChessieLab, a Chesapeake Labrador mix.
44194_152080121494025_100000761156389_224662_381353_n.jpg

American Staffershire Terrior (Pit Bull) I have one the best pet in the world . They get bad raps . Rescue one and try it I did !!!

also not one of your 3 original choices but is what i have experience with.get a german shepard from quality parents. loyal , protective, exteemely intelligent, easy to train willing to learn. good with kids and as far as i have experienced is not a 1 man dog as some large or guard dog breeds can be, by this i mean thy dont bond just to one member of the house , but will respect and obey all family members. this is marley, he is 2 and a half,you aint getting onto my property at night if he doesnt know you!
euoljk.jpg

Try a Labradoodle. No shedding, no smell. The last thing I want is a dog that leaves a larger than than human size shit.

Labradoodle sounds dumb, but I have a friend that has one and it's a pretty cool dog. His is pretty big also, it's not a pocket dog.

Go to the pound and pick out one you like. It will be the best dog you've ever owned. They appreciate the opportunity to live.

Heck, get two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Malinoise: A fur covered razor blade with the heart of a lion in a 50-60lb package.

Hell on paws to anyone uninvited. </div></div>

amen, or a dutch shepherd which is a 80-100 pound version with the coloring of a brindle pitbull lol.

Get a standard English Mastiff. Great dogs. Great personality.

My Blue Heeler is one of the most protective dogs I've ever had. Very smart and easily trainable. Also not bad with kids and a smaller dog (30 - 45lbs.), so it would work well in the house. Needs a good walk everyday though, or solid frisbee workout. Pretty good with kids although mine tries to herd the smaller ones together. He's submissive to my wife and son also. They will definitely be good watch dogs. Used to live out in the middle of nowhere and nobody ever came up the house and surprised me. He would spot them 2 miles off and let you know. As far as bravery, hell they're bread to go toe to toe with cattle. I've seen him back down a 2000lb. bull plenty of times.

I also agree you can't go wrong with a quality German Shepard.

Dobie--We have 3 1 Red, 1 Black, 1 White, Boating and Fishing, they can't get enough of it

LarrysPictures003.jpg

Have had 5 Standard Poodles..great dogs. Smart , no shedding, do not get fat, athletic, affectionate, moderate exercise requirement, moderately friendly to strangers...very easy to train.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hiddenmongoose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">also not one of your 3 original choices but is what i have experience with.get a german shepard from quality parents. loyal , protective, exteemely intelligent, easy to train willing to learn. good with kids and as far as i have experienced is not a 1 man dog as some large or guard dog breeds can be, by this i mean thy dont bond just to one member of the house , but will respect and obey all family members. this is marley, he is 2 and a half,you aint getting onto my property at night if he doesnt know you!
euoljk.jpg
</div></div>

nice lookin shepard!

RemiNovember.jpg

ConnecticutAugust2004088.jpg

Very nice shepard.

We did consider those but my wife( SGT Smith USMC) also was looking for a nurse made as well, Short hair, Large and obediant and smart. My prefrence was leaning to a American Bulldog, had a few of these in the past; always faithful, nice, smart, and family protective. However Jenn saw a post on here for a Boerdoel, she looked up the info, youtubed it, and talked to several breeders.

Seems she has picked a breed to get. the S.A. Boerdoel, about a 200 pound protective nurse maid. Also she mentioned in the way of a name. " Sha'Gao "( sp ). The name means "Little Dog" in Chinese. I was looking forward to Trigger, Remmie, or the likes.

Put a deposit down on a male today with K-9companions. ( www.K-9companions.com) who breed both Sheperds and Boerboels. And is Prior army and a gun toteing God fearing American that votes Republican. Well that part means alot to me. They are Profecional trainers and military/ police/security trainers as well. I like their programs.

He sells his dogs for about $1500 however they gave me a great looking male for well a realy good price lets just say alot cheaper than $1500. and discounts to any of his courses in training. I think it is cause I am 75% disabled now and it was his good deed. Puppy will be ready for pick up 15 March ( 10 weeks old).

We decided ( she did ) that it is too soon to get another American Bulldog. Sgt was a loving and loyal friend and partner for 9yrs and Jenn wants to wait and let his memory live for a while b4 we get anothr bully.

I want to cross a chihuahua with a Great Dane for a guard dog. Size of a Great Dane and the attitude of a Chihuahua. Nobody would f k with him!!!

I'll vote for the American Bulldog. I had one that was the absolute smartest dog I have ever seen! I could go on for days with stories that you would never believe about his intelligence! The can get as large as 140 but mine was only 85. He was loyal and friendly but always knew if someone was doing something that they weren't supposed to. He put up with my new born son terrorizing him constantly and would even take treats with just his lips. I have an English Bulldog now because it was the wife's turn to pick the dog but the next one will without a doubt be another American!

+1 for Dobies. All my boy wants is to love and please. Smart and loyal. Maintenance is easily as well, after you get done the wrapping ear phase that is.

I got one of these
245.jpg

Cause it ain't the dog you have to worry about if you break in my house! LOL

Seriously we had a German shepard and a pit bull back in my days at 29 stumps and never had any issues. Either dog would get your attention and together they were a force.

This is the Breeders info, breeds his dogs for specific purpose. Here is his info ( http://www.k-9companions.com/meetowners.htm ) also under puppies for sale I will be recieving "Grady" his picture is there.

Once again Thank you all, looks like we all agree on dogs about the same as we agree on rifle set up.all dogs mentioned here are all wonderfull companions. Cept maby the great dane/ chiuaua one. i could not imagine a blue 27" Taco Bell dog. I have seen a rott/chihuahua mix now those were funny looking dogs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmc80</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cause it ain't dog you have to worry about if you break in my house! LOL

Seriously we had a German shepard and a pit bull back in my days at 29 stumps and never had any issues. Either dog would get your attention and together they were a force. </div></div>

Back in your days? Buddy it has not changed much cept for the meth heads, they seemed to have taking up the habbits of rabbits. Damn methies are popping up in every bush here lately. Caint wait till we get a methie hunting season.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmithE-6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice shepard.

We did consider those but my wife( SGT Smith USMC) also was looking for a nurse made as well, Short hair, Large and obediant and smart. </div></div>

Good luck with your new bullie.

But what your wife was talking about is a Weimaraner. They are no good if left alone for long periods of time. Very social and require lots of exercise. Best dog I ever had.

Jenn has selected the Boerdoel breed, I'll get another bullie but it will be a long time down the road. Very rare to find a solid dark colored AKC registered American Buldog with brains. I do not like Weimaraners all that much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go to the pound and pick out one you like. It will be the best dog you've ever owned. They appreciate the opportunity to live.

Heck, get two. </div></div>

+1

Those Boerboels are a pretty interesting breed, I read a little about them when I was looking for a dog.....their known to have a "6th sense" so to speak. Everyone who loves their particular breed of dog says the same thing about it, but they had some pretty good stories about them. I decided on an American bulldog and had narrowed it down to Joshua Kennels. I was ready to send my deposit in when I found my dog at the pound and couldn't go home without him. Not quite sure what Hank is exactly, but he has some Great Dane in him due to some of his features and harlequin coloring and he also has some sort of bully breed.

Hank at around 4-5 months old

Picture001.jpg

Maybe 6 or 7 months here...

09242009002.jpg

ETA: The first pic is the day I brought him home from the pound, he was stick skinny, limping from an almost healed broken back leg, broken ribs, had a pretty good cut on his head he still has a scar from and had a pretty bad case of the mange. Took about 3 months to get him 100% healthy, but today he is an absolute physical specimen. Great dog, great personality....I couldn't be happier. He's about 90lbs and not a mean bone in his body, but he is protective of me and the house....in public and around people he is a big lap dog.

Hank is a pretty dog, I would say it has some bulldog mixed in with a little great dane, just looking at the bridge where snout meets skull. about 7 month and 90 lbs wow. looks like Hank will be a big boy.

Sorry for the loss of EMMA was a pretty girl.

Mechanic, I was wondering who tought who how to shoot? I think if it come down to it, I would rather face you down behind that rifle than your GS. At least he could run after me when he missed. LOL nice dog awsome pic. post it in the picture column.

My post was a little bit misleading, he's a little over 2 years old now and 90ish pounds. Those were some older pics of him, I need to get some fresh ones. In the first pick that was the day I brought him home and he only weighed about 30-35lbs, second pic was a few months later and probably 50lbs. Sometimes I look at him and see great dane, sometimes pit, others boxer or American bulldog......maybe a little bit of each, but he's definitely unique.

This pic really shows the dane in him, imo:
Picture018.jpg

This one shows the bulldog/cat killer!!! Shows some of his color, too.
Picture002.jpg

SmithE-6, if it were my choice, I would go with a rescue group for where to get one. As for my choice of child, I am partial to Amercian Bulldog's and Boxers. We have 5 Boxers and 1 American. You can't ask for more loyal children. If you are wanting a massive bulldog look to the Johnson bloodline or the Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldogs. If you are looking for a pitty look, then look at the Scott bloodline bulldogs. Hope this helps. Tommy

Hate to bring up potential issues with your choice of dog, but I would check with your homeowners insurance and make sure that none of your choices are on the dangerous animal list. could cost you a great deal more than you think. The liability could be huge!! Have seen it in the trauma center I use to work in. OK on a more serious note regarding Dogs......I have an Anatolian Sheperd. Big wolf-looking. great guard dog and awesome with kids!! Worth the Money.

out of your picks the Bull Mastiff. I love my st. bernard but is unreal how hair this dog sheds.

I agree on checking with your local BSL laws and homeowners about breeds. Also, make sure if you get a pup from a breeder or a rescue to get either the registry papers or a signed paper telling it is of breed. The fact that a Scott American Bulldog and a Pit look so much alike will definately cause issues if you don't have papers stating it IS a Bulldog. Been there,done that with our fine local law enforcement here, good luck and happy hunting. Tommy