• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What effect does a muzzle device have on Accuracy?

Smith97z71

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2012
NW Ohio
an is there any difference between the effects on say a bolt gun vs a Semi? More interested in say a brake/compensator. Have one on my FNAR but have no before and after comparisons. Have a grendel upper coming soon and its already threaded but has no brake. Going to shoot it first before I decide to put one on and if its even needed. It just got me thinking and also how does a suppressor affect it as well?

Short answer, no.

Good brakes that are installed right will not have a negative impact on accuracy. At least not to a noticeable degree, especially with semi-auto rifles.

Short answer, no.

Good brakes that are installed right will not have a negative impact on accuracy. At least not to a noticeable degree, especially with semi-auto rifles.

By correctly are you referring more to timing it correctly?

I agree with not having a neg affect on accuracy, but if its easier to shoot it could help you be more accurate. FYI
I have had a POI shift if 2 to 3 moa with a brake installed.

Brakes, flash hiders, suppressors, etc., can and do have effects on accuracy in a number of different ways which can be either positive or negative, and not just based solely upon whether the barrel itself in properly threaded (not just correct threads cut to spec, but also whether the barrel is threaded concentric to the bore). Different muzzle devices can impact barrel harmonics, bullet flight, etc. Similarly, the same can be said for a suppressor, which can also effect accuracy...especially dependent on its mounting/attachment method, etc. There is no one, simple, universal truth that muzzle brakes/suppressors do or do not effect accuracy, but the potential to have an impact on it is there.

Just adding mass to the barrel will affect barrel whip, as well as change the longitudinal shock wave timing. Sounds like BS mumbo jumbo, but physics is real.

Asymmetric devices will also affect exiting gas dynamics on the base of the projectiles that will be different than the standard muzzle.

Brakes, flash hiders, suppressors, etc., can and do have effects on accuracy in a number of different ways which can be either positive or negative, and not just based solely upon whether the barrel itself in properly threaded (not just correct threads cut to spec, but also whether the barrel is threaded concentric to the bore). Different muzzle devices can impact barrel harmonics, bullet flight, etc. Similarly, the same can be said for a suppressor, which can also effect accuracy...especially dependent on its mounting/attachment method, etc. There is no one, simple, universal truth that muzzle brakes/suppressors do or do not effect accuracy, but the potential to have an impact on it is there.

This is an excellent answer, and I can't add much to it except to always remember what your goal is:

If your looking for the ultimate accuracy, you don't run any muzzle device at all.

If your looking to reduce recoil and muzzle jump, for one or multiple shots, then run a quality muzzle brake, and take whatever level of accuracy it give's you.

If your looking to reduce flash signature, to lower the risk of incoming mail, then run a flash hider, and take whatever level of accuracy it give's you.

If your looking to reduce muzzle report to near nil, then run a suppressor, and take whatever level of accuracy it give's you.

I think you can see the theme here...

Last edited:
Short answer, no.

Yeah but, what's a "good" brake. Just because some cost $150 don't mean they are good.
The heavier the brake the bigger the chance they will effect the harmonics.
The larger the bore/chamber in the brake the bigger chance the turbulent gases will disrupt the bullet flight by making the tail wag before it exits the front of the brake.
Brakes with asymmetrical ports or slots will create turbulent gases inside the brake making the tail wag also.

IMO carbon build up in a brake / flash hider may cause some variations that do not occur with a standard barrel