• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What email service do you use?

Steel+Killer

Killing one steel plate at a time!
Minuteman
  • May 27, 2014
    32.75259713494653, -79.87485679548313
    So I am trying to get off the google train in every way possible I have been using gmail forever and I have finally had enough. What is the best email service to maintain privacy paid or free?

So... here‘s the issue I can’t quite reconcile: if Proton is free, as with gmail, et al., what (who...?) is really the “product”...? Secure... encrypted... free... one of these things is not like the others... Thoughts...?

Reactions: camocorvette
    Just made an account. I see that it’s not based in US... first thing to catch my mind. And encryption... awesome

Been researching this very subject for a bit myself, shoulda known all I'd have to do is check with the Hide (y)

@Cosmic338 It is an article that they have that explains what the features are, and who has what in a chart that you can look at. It consolidates some information.

Reactions: Cosmic338
    I decided to go with Express VPN. Though it was between Express and Nord. I went with Express mainly because a colleague uses it and I figured we could troubleshoot together.

As for email. I was all set to go with Proton, but I've been studying Tutonota which seems to encrypt easier for outside recipients, in that replies don't have to be re-encrypted. You have a key for each person, not each email (as I read it). However, unlike Proton which you can still use Outlook for (if that's your thing), Tutonota does not support IMAP or any of those protocalls.

Furthermore, Tutonota encrypts EVERTHING....recipients and SUBJECT line. Something neither Proton nor mailbox.org do.