• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing what epoxy for stock filler?

RoyPreston

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2007
New york
I added a dbm to my B&C stock. It originally was a drop floorplate. Needless to the dbm didn't cover all of the hole left by the floorplate. I am looking for an epoxy that I can use to fill in and reshape.I would prefer something I can buy at the local hardware store vs ordering it online. Anyone know one?

Re: what epoxy for stock filler?

Personally, I'd use Devcon plastic steel 10110. You can order on line say from Ace hardware and have them ship it to a store near you and you will save on the shipping charge.

For just fill, I use plain automotive Bondo.

If structural integrity is needed, J-B Weld.

thanks, it's just cosmetic.I'll hhave to see how small of a can of bondo I can get.

A little step up from bondo is gorilla hair its a more waterproof verson with fiberglass added very strong.

I going to check out whats available locally as soon as the snow stops.I was thinking something along the lines of fibrated too. Hopefully I can find something in a small quanity so I don't have a almost full can sitting afterwards.

I have used various versions of Bondo while restoring an very old Indian Head fiberglass canoe. Structural weaknesses wre fixed with cloth and resing. Surface blemishes were filled with Bondo that includes fiber. Bondo also has a lightweight version that incldes micro balloons (nearly microscopic glass spheres filled with helium. They are lighter than air and when spilled, actually end up on the ceiling). I can see it being useable for lightweight filler.

Incidentally, for my model airplanes, when I need to use a sanding filler/sealer and create curved fillets, I use lightweight spackle, which also includes micro balloons. The added weight is essentially negigible.

Greg

I wouldn't use bondo.

Use a good epoxy. JB if you dont want to order it.
Acra Gel can be dyed very dark, and matches very well with black parts IMO.

I use Devcon for anything requiring epoxy.

Get a bottle of slow cure, 15 min, or 5min two part epoxy from a hobby shop. They come in mustard/ketchup bottles like you find at a diner.

rob the kitchen for a box of baking soda.

Mix the epoxy as directed and add baking soda till you get the consistency you want.

It's the worlds greatest bondo without the bondo B/S.

Bondo is polyester base resin which sucks because it shrinks and doesn't stick to stuff long term worth a damn.

Epoxy is ester base and will glue your butthole shut.

The baking soda makes for a strong, light filler that will sand and blend very nice.

I learned this from my little RC airplane addition. If it'll put up with 30+G's and 215mph giant scale pylon racing it should survive well in a rifle stock.

Reactions: thegotoguytx

Ive used Duraglass and it worked well. Id go with what c.dixon says looks like he knows his stuff.

Damn, a box of baking soda added to the secret book of tips and tricks.