• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What equipment do I need?

MrBrown

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2009
College Station, TX
So I've been reloading pistol and shotgun for a couple of years and now I'm about to get into loading for my .308. I have the basic tools for my pistol loads but what am I looking at for loading precision rounds? What dies do you guys prefer? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks -Brown

I've got 155 & 168 smk, laupa brass and imr 4064 on it's way..now if i could only find some match primers...

Re: What equipment do I need?

Depending on the way they are set up, almost any brand dies will work. Personally I prefer Redding "S" bushing dies. But the regular dies will work fine. For seating, The Redding Competition Seater is hard to beat. But if you only shoot 1 type bullet, any seater will do. When I first started shooting rifle, I mad a length dummy for each different bullet. Then just changed the seater stem to fit the dummy for the appropriate bullet.

If you go the dummy route, just mark the side of the case with a Sharpie Marker so they don't get mixed up. I mark them with the bullet type, brand & weight. Then I use a Stoney Point (now Hornady) comparitor to measure the length from the case head to the bullet ogive. Not the OAL to the bullet tip. That changes too much. Mark that on the side of the brass.

Now, is that as clear as mud? I hope I haven't confused you.

Good luck

Yeah I have been looking at getting either the RCBS comp dies or the Redding S type...anything else besides a comparator? Thanks -Brown

Forster has fine dies also. It's a matter of what you want to do to your brass which dies you use. If you don't need a micrometer seating die, as in loading to magazine length, Forster has the die. The new Forster bushing neck/bump die should be looked at if neck sizing only. For PFL sizing, the Redding bushing FL die may be preferred. Decide what you want to do to the brass; it will lead you to the proper dies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winchester 69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Decide what you want to do to the brass; it will lead you to the proper dies. </div></div>

I guess that's what I really need to know...not having ever loaded rifle ammo, do I need to FL or neck size? does the redding die do both ? pros and cons?

My opinion for my situation:

I cannot say that I will be using the same rifle forever, so I will be FL sizing. It worked for me when I was loading .30-06 years ago.

And if you FL size, you can take once-fired brass from other rifles.

Neck sizing will give you rounds that fit your chamber more exactly, though.

If you want to neck size, I would get both dies so when you need to FL you can. Just don't load 2,000 rounds using the neck sizing, until you know that is the rifle (and barrel) you will be using for the entire 2,000 rounds.

i would just get a standard FL dies from RCBS to start with. after you load for a while, you will know what features you need.

What types(s) of shooting do you do with the .308?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winchester 69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What types(s) of shooting do you do with the .308? </div></div>

Right now I'm just punching paper...I want to work up some loads and maybe start shooting a few competitions...I may at some point work up a hunting load.

If you're shooting a factory rifle, many prefer a Lee collet die and Redding body die, coupled with a micrometer seater. A Redding bushing set, either neck or FL would serve. If you're using a custom barrel (or will be), a bushing set may be preferred. Whether you neck size or FL size is an individual preference.

The dies/tools one "wants" depends on what kind of ammo you want to be producing.

If you want to run all sorts of experiments dialing in the load, micrometer heads are just great. If you want to find a load and then make gobs of it, standard dies are just fine.

If you want the brass to last a long time, separating the sholder sizing operation from the neck sizing operation is optimal. Once separated, a body die is used to push the sholder, and a bushing die is used to set the neck size. The brass lasts a lot longer, the reloader ends up doing more work.

In my opinion, for every caliber one loads, one needs the ability to measure the position of the sholder, and the ogive to rifling jump distance. This requires tools (and there are several architectures of these tools) the important thing is that you know how to measure this stuff, and that you do for controling the precision of the reloading process.

Fnally, you need case preperation tools {Primer pocket uniformer, flash hole reamer, chamfer, deburr, and a tumbler}.

But in the final analysis, it is the care and use of these tools that separates one reloaders 'rpinted' accuracy from another--using the same components.

Guys, Thanks so much for all the suggestions!! Here's my list so far.

On order:
RCBS Flash Hole Deburring Tool Case Pilot Stop 30 Caliber

RCBS Flash Hole Deburring Tool Replacement Rod and Cutter (I think this will screw right into my trim mate)

Hornady Lock-N-Load Bullet Comparator Basic Set with 6 Inserts

RCBS Trim Mate Case Prep Center Primer Pocket Uniformer Large Rifle

Forster Ultra 2-Die Set 308 Winchester (National Match)(For now, will look into neck sizing when I become fore familiar with the process)

RCBS Precision Mic 308 Winchester ( What do you guys think about this, for measuring headspace and bullet seating depth)

I already have a trimmer, tumbler, deburr and chamfer tool.

Once again thanks for all the input...I can't wait to get this stuff in and start reloading...if only the garage wasn't so damn HOT!!

Although I own other dies, they are not ones I've bought personally, and I always buy RCBS. Yes, there are better dies; but for me it's a matter of cost, pure and simple. Never found an RCBS die set that wouldn't make ammo my rifles like.

It's less about the dies, and more about how you use them.

Victor nailed it.

Bottleneck cases simply require more attention than straight walled ones, and all of the popular reloading manuals will give you good explanations and directions on how to do that.

As you are starting out, I will give you the basic summary of what I've learned over several decades.

If there's a tool, technique, or incantation that will improve the accuracy of my handmade ammunition, I've tried it.

They work.

They also have costs, in cash, time, and frustration. Most of them, as effective as they may be, add up and eventually conspire to cut into your range time.

In my book, that's counterproductive and largely unforgivable.

But it's a failure of my own making, and I can fix that.

With time, as many of us 'Neanderthals' have discovered, simplicity is its own reward.

Limit the things you do to what's necessary, and maybe so helpful these few additional ones cannot be ignored. If you can concentrate on doing those few things consistently, and with a professional, workmanlike approach, you will make ammo that works better than the other 'all possible bells and whistles' stuff; because the more one does, the greater the chance of error, and the less the likelihood you'll be able to isolate that error.

Do the few essentials, and do them well; and your rifles and targets will thank you.

..and I promise you; precision shooting will be more of a joy than a labor.

Greg

PS, My sole condescentions to the esoteric are the reaming of flash holes, and the weighing of individual charges.

Go to www.sinclairintl.com and then to the measuring tools section. I have been reloading for accuracy since 1968 and have tried all the tools and toys. Sinclair is now owned by Brownells but has remained largely independent. After you nose around on line for awhile, call them 1(800)717-8211 and discuss what you have and what you want to do, they are very helpful. Make certain you get a hard copy of their catalog, you will enjoy drooling

Short of having a bump/seating depth gage set up with the same reamer used to drill your chamber; I have found the Sinclair comparator bump gage and the Hornaday lock-n-load OAL tool to be the best. Both of these originated with Stony Point 20+ years ago and last a life time. I would also recommend the Sinclair primer seater, you can really feel the depth and as in everything else in reloading consistency is a real key to smaller groups. Next, if you don't have one get a good powder dump; Harrels makes great ones. Weighing every load is tiresome and I don't know any pickey assed benchrester, including me, that doesn't dump their powder. It's all about consistency and feel in the powder dump.

Have fun

I use a Dillon, hence my load weighing. I might feel more comfortable with a more respected dumper.

I use the RCBS press and Lee dies... gets me to sub 1/2 moa effortlessly... It would probably be even better with premium dies..

For powder measuring I use the Chargemaster combo... much faster and easier.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions...I just got my primers in so when the rest of the above order gets here i'll be all set..I'll worry about neck and shoulder sizing after I get comfortable with FL and read up a little more on them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrBrown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forster Ultra 2-Die Set 308 Winchester (National Match)(For now, will look into neck sizing when I become more familiar with the process. </div></div>
The National Match set has a sizing die aimed toward gas gun use. Foster says it's 0.002" shorter, but don't know if there might other dimensional changes. That little bit of difference almost doesn't seem significant.

Winchester69,

when I looked back at my order I noticed that I had actually ordered the one that didn't say national match...I just accidentally copy and pasted that link in my earlier post. So I wonder if that is the difference between the two? Because one does say national match and the other does not.

You'll have to call Forster to learn the difference. I've already given Forster's published statement regarding any differences. If you're loading for a bolt gun, I doubt that you would ever notice the difference between the two. Apparently, gas gun shooters may be able to tell the difference between the two sizing dies.