• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What equipment to bring as a first time competitor?

Amatsukaze_DD

Weeaboo Prime
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2022
Fletcher, NC
Phone posting at work on lunch break so forgive the brevity.

First time prs competitor, gas gun division. I'm going to try and make it to the match at CC in NC in a few weeks. Besides the obvious, what kind of gear should I be bringing? I have a spotter scope and tripod but no mount to put the gun on said tripod. The practiscore page says targets out to 1000. Does gas gun division run different targets/cof from bolt gun?

I assume to not bring my 2/3 gun setups? No pc, belt, and to not bring my 16" spr?

Was basically thinking to just bring the rifle, some cleaning supplies and tools if needed, ammo, and bags.

First time prs competitor, gas gun division. I'm going to try and make it to the match at CC in NC in a few weeks. Besides the obvious, what kind of gear should I be bringing? I have a spotter scope and tripod but no mount to put the gun on said tripod. The practiscore page says targets out to 1000. Does gas gun division run different targets/cof from bolt gun?

I assume to not bring my 2/3 gun setups? No pc, belt, and to not bring my 16" spr?

Was basically thinking to just bring the rifle, some cleaning supplies and tools if needed, ammo, and bags.
  1. Bring what you have and you can borrow the rest...People are great at these matches and as long as you don't abuse their stuff, they'll let you use it
  2. Don't worry about a tripod mount for your rifle, you'll never use it
  3. If you haven't trued your dope then don't expect to hit the 1,000 yd target and focus on shorter distance impacts like sub 600 yds
  4. Go with an open mind and wanting to LEARN. Ask questions, but realize when a fellow shooter is trying to prep for the stage and leave them be.
  5. Ask about wind, but realize that YOUR wind will be different based on your muzzle velocity and try to get wind in mph, NOT mils or moa..."What wind speed got you on target?" is a great way to ask about wind.
  6. Practice NOW. Practice moving between prop positions, even if it's off your couch. Practice engaging the safety on your gas gun BEFORE you move to another position as this is the rule...Shoot, say "safe" as you engage safety, move, position, shoot, repeat.
  7. HAVE FUN! You won't hit every target! Enjoy the feeling of hitting the targets you do hit and just have fun!
  8. I did a video on Your First PRS match here: and there are some stage videos I did if you look at my video library.
  9. Good luck my friend!

What not to do:
Don't buy all the equipment you see in PRS shooting vids. You'll have the opportunity to try any equipment on the range. I've tried different shootings bags and bought a few that worked out

Some matches have a free range day for the competitors. It may be beneficial to show up and ask what the competitors are using and why. Ask to try it out.

Reactions: kthomas
Rifle & optics, ammo, mags, and a bipod and rear & barricade bag are the essentials.

Shoot a few matches with the above and then expand your gear collection as you see fit.

Reactions: Dot3 and Tx_Aggie
I think a good starting point for your first match would be:

• Rifle (zeroed and chronographed prior to the match)
  • Chamber flag
  • Earpro (& maybe eyepro). Most shooters will be running muzzle brakes
  • Ammo (enough for the stated round count plus some extra incase you're able to check zero and speed before the match begins)
  • 2 Mags with a way to carry them (I just stuck mags in my back pockets for the first year I shot PRS)
  • Ballistic Calculator with a profile set up for your rifle (or paper DOPE)
  • Something to write your stage DOPE on, either an arm board or DOPE card that attaches to the rifle (This can be as simple as tape on a gear tie attached to the scope, or a football wrist coach and wet erase marker). In a pinch even a dry erase marker on your hand can work.
  • Bipod.
  • Barricade/Gamechanger type bag (the AG Shmedium with heavy fill is really popular with a lot of guys) - you may be able to borrow this if you don't already have one.
  • Rear bag if you don't like using the GC as a rear bag
  • Water & snacks
  • Backpack to carry everything
  • Tripod with glass for observing targets (if you have this already, not something I would purchase for a first match)
  • Raingear if the weather looks to be wet
  • Toolkit for adjusting your riflescope, chrono, lube, etc.

You won't need your 2/3 gun gear, or plate carrier. You could always bring the 16" 556 if you have DOPE for it and would like the security of having a backup rifle.

Coleman's has a 100 yard zero range, and it may be open before the match begins.

Gas gun will shoot the same course of fire and target arrays as the bolt guns. And you'll be expected to have a gas gun on safe (and may be asked to verbally call safe) every time you transition to a new position, so make sure to include that in your practice.

And if you're coming from 2/3 gun, remember that you don't get make up shots in PRS, and for most stages you don't get credit for finishing faster than the stage par time. It may be better to slow down and make every shot count, even if as a newer shooter that means timing out sometimes.

Last edited:
I think a good starting point for your first match would be:

• Rifle (zeroed and chronographed prior to the match)
  • Chamber flag
  • Earpro (& maybe eyepro). Most shooters will be running muzzle brakes
  • Ammo (enough for the stated round count plus some extra incase you're able to check zero and speed before the match begins)
  • 2 Mags with a way to carry them (I just stuck mags in my back pockets for the first year I shot PRS)
  • Ballistic Calculator with a profile set up for your rifle (or paper DOPE)
  • Something to write your stage DOPE on, either an arm board or DOPE card that attaches to the rifle (This can be as simple as tape on a gear tie attached to the scope, or a football wrist coach and wet erase marker). In a pinch even a dry erase marker on your had can work.
  • Bipod.
  • Barricade/Gamechanger type bag (the AG Shmedium with heavy fill is really popular with a lot of guys) - you may be able to borrow this if you don't already have one.
  • Rear bag if you don't like using the GC as a rear bag
  • Water & snacks
  • Backpack to carry everything
  • Tripod with glass for observing targets (if you have this already, not something I would purchase for a first match)
  • Raingear if the weather looks to be wet
  • Toolkit for adjusting your riflescope, chrono, lube, etc.

You won't need your 2/3 gun gear, or plate carrier. You could always bring the 16" 556 if you have DOPE for it and would like the security of having a backup rifle.

Coleman's has a 100 yard zero range, and it may be open before the match begins.

Gas gun will shoot the same course of fire and target arrays as the bolt guns. And you'll be expected to have a gas gun on safe (and may be asked to verbally call safe) every time you transition to a new position, so make sure to include that in your practice.

And if you're coming from 2/3 gun, remember that you don't get make up shots in PRS, and for most stages you don't get credit for finishing faster than the stage par time. It may be better to slow down and make every shot count, even if as a newer shooter that means timing out sometimes.
I see, so in prs you get exactly the required number of shots. Makes sense being well...precision rifle shooting. I have cheap bags that I'm bringing but I've never tried them on a barricade. I'll get to try a bit when I get my dope this weekend.

When you say to get your stage dope, do you mean having extra cards to write on so you can have only the dialing required for that stage? Instead of a general 1-1000 dope card, if a stage is say 4, 7, and 1000 you'd just have the values for those ranges? That's a good idea if so..

I have a spotter and tripod but it's a no reticle tripod. I don't have a lrf or kestrel.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
Also, how are prs matches scored? A simple hit/miss ratio? Does the time factor in at all, or whatever you shoot within the time is what you get? If a stage is say 2x 500, 700, and 1k, if u miss once on the 700 can you try again and just accept not shooting the 1k, or do you have to try every target once?

I see, so in prs you get exactly the required number of shots. Makes sense being well...precision rifle shooting. I have cheap bags that I'm bringing but I've never tried them on a barricade. I'll get to try a bit when I get my dope this weekend.

When you say to get your stage dope, do you mean having extra cards to write on so you can have only the dialing required for that stage? Instead of a general 1-1000 dope card, if a stage is say 4, 7, and 1000 you'd just have the values for those ranges? That's a good idea if so..

I have a spotter and tripod but it's a no reticle tripod. I don't have a lrf or kestrel.

That's right, if it's a 10 round stage you'll have 10 target engagements and will be limited to 10 rounds. There is the occasional unlimited round count stage, but they're relatively rare.

Yep, by stage dope I mean just the dope (and wind holds) for the targets you'll be engaging on that state. Either dialing or hold overs.

Also, how are prs matches scored? A simple hit/miss ratio? Does the time factor in at all, or whatever you shoot within the time is what you get? If a stage is say 2x 500, 700, and 1k, if u miss once on the 700 can you try again and just accept not shooting the 1k, or do you have to try every target once?

You're scored by hits, one point per impact, highest number of impacts wins the day. And target engagement rules should be stated in the stage description/brief. Most stages will have you move to the next target engagement, hit or miss. Occasionally you'll have a stage that is hit to move on, which means if you miss and have to re-engage a target you're also losing a round that you could've used on a later target.

Time is only recorded on tie-breaker stages (usually just one stage in a one day match), and ties are broken based first on the score on the tie breaker, and then secondarily on time). So if for example you and I both ended up with a 65 for the day, but you shot the tie breaker clean for 8 points in 85 seconds and I shot the stage in 50 seconds but dropped a point for a 7, your higher score would win the tie for overall placement in the match. If we both shoot the same score on the tie breaker stage, whoever shoots it in the fastest time wins. So a slow 8 beats a fast 7.

Reactions: Amatsukaze_DD
You can get a very cheap wind meter on Amazon. I think I paid $20 for one and it does well enough to get your wind hold.

Also, trust your dope card. The last match i shot was pretty windy. I held my wind at what I heard other people were holding instead of what my card said. If I trusted my card, I think I would have picked up a couple more first round hits.

Have fun and expect to learn a lot.

That’s exactly right when you get to the stage you’ll get the ranges of the targets and figure out what you need to hit them and right them on a card attached to your rifle or a wrist coach (I’ve done both and prefer on the gun)

Your later question there will be several targets you’ll engage twice so be sure that if you hit or miss you see where the bullet went through your scope and make a correction if you hit make small corrections if it’s on the edge if you miss don’t be afraid to make large corrections.

I use a berger bullet box cut in half with Velcro stuck to the side of my rifle for a dope card and printed a little brackets to go on it, then just use a dry erase it’s not fancy but it’s stupid effective

For dope, just get a roll of masking tape and a sharpie. Rip off a piece and tape to arm, write down dope. Throw away after each stage. Cheapest/quickest solution, I even keep some in my bag incase I lose/break my armboard.

Some of the first things to buy IMO, even if you don't stick with PRS are good to have for shooting.

Kestrel with AB, Shmedium game changer, Some sort of Arca rail for your gun and an Arca bipod, Weights for your gun if its sub 16 lbs, Sent It electronic level. They will all make shooting PRS much easier but also just making shooting more fun and easier in general.

For dope, just get a roll of masking tape and a sharpie. Rip off a piece and tape to arm, write down dope. Throw away after each stage. Cheapest/quickest solution, I even keep some in my bag incase I lose/break my armboard.

Some of the first things to buy IMO, even if you don't stick with PRS are good to have for shooting.

Kestrel with AB, Shmedium game changer, Some sort of Arca rail for your gun and an Arca bipod, Weights for your gun if its sub 16 lbs, Sent It electronic level. They will all make shooting PRS much easier but also just making shooting more fun and easier in general
Good idea for the dope card. I'll drop by a sports store and see if they have an armband, if not masking tape it is.

Gonna try to order the barricade bag at least before the match. My cheap bench bags probably won't cut it with how light they are.

I’m registered for this event and it will be my first as well. I’m sooooo new to long range but think it will be a blast.

Reactions: Dot3
What did you put in practiscore for the required "member number" field?

You should be able to leave member number blank, it's just to track scores of folks who have paid to be a member of the regional PRS points series. There's no requirement that you be a member to shoot a match.

For classification you should check "NC" for "Not Classified."

You should be able to leave member number blank, it's just to track scores of folks who have paid to be a member of the regional PRS points series. There's no requirement that you be a member to shoot a match.

For classification you should check "NC" for "Not Classified."
I plan to try and keep track of points so I went ahead and paid the yearly membership. I didn't build this gun and practice with it to shoot on a square range all year :)

The field did say required though.

officially signed up for it now, I can't wait to embarass myself. Hope to see some of ya'll there! I'll be the guy with the sp10 in a weaboo'd out pelican case. :)

I’m registered for this event and it will be my first as well. I’m sooooo new to long range but think it will be a blast.
I think we both might end up embarassing ourselves but gotta start somewhere! Going just to talk to some of the guys with more experience will be worth the trip.

Reactions: CigarKing
Getting two hits from three shots beats zero hits from ten shots.

Don't worry about the timer, you're not going to get all your shots off in your first match. Just accept that. You will be super tempted to try and blast away to get all ten shots off like you see the top guys in your squad doing. Don't. All that matters for your first match is SAFETY FIRST, and working on getting as stable as you possibly can, and making good, smooth shots.

Everyone in your squad will know you are new. Everyone will be very helpful. No one is going to care even if you come in last place in the whole match. No one will judge you.

Bring a humble attitude, watch what the top guys are doing to approach each stage and how they position their bodies and the rifle to make the shots. Ask questions about how you can approach a stage to get some hits.

It sounds like you've shot 3 gun before so you understand how competition matches run. I just shot my first PRS match last weekend but have been competing very seriously in USPSA for about 13 years now. There isn't much difference between 3 gun and PRS other than you don't have to paste and rifle handling is a little more laxxed. I told everyone I was new and everyone offered their bags/gear to me to try out. Very friendy crowd just like in USPSA/3G for noobs.

There will be plenty of people with wind measuring devices at the range, just ask them what the values are.

Bring your best long distance gun that you have, ammo, bipod, safety gear, chamber flag. Make sure you know where your ammo is actually hitting at distances/wind and you know how to use your reticle/turrets on the scope.

Bring pen and paper to write down distances/wind call in case they don't give you a match booklet. If you have a way to mount a dope card to your rifle that's good. I wrote everything down on my hand but ordered a holder after the match.

Scoring as mentioned above, the match I shot was 8-12 shots per stage with a 90 second part time. Some where 1 shot per target, hit or miss and others were shoot to advance to the next target. Total shots was 100 and then you are scored as a ratio of the shooter with the most points to HF scoring.

The one thing I'd recommend is take whatever ladder you have at home and practice dry fire getting onto a target and finding a stable position at each rung. It seems this would cover most shooting positions (prone, sitting, crouch, on a knee, standing, etc.) where you are supporting the rifle in front of the magwell. If you get an idea of how to do it before the match you can skip the learning curve on the clock.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie