• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What every Man needs to know about Prostate Cancer

snave58

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2011
Colorado
Long read, but read it all! it will save some lives on this forum.
Basics about your Prostate, the only function of your prostate is to supply the creamy fluid when you ejaculate, sperm is added to it down the line, thats it! Now since it is part of your digestive system everything you eat goes thru it in the chemical form. there lies the problem! our diet is the leading cause of Prostate Cancer. Number one cancer in men! Prostate cancer usually takes 12-15 years to grow and grows slowly and it is very treatable if you catch it early and keep it from getting outside your prostate. it is still curable if you dont catch it early but the treatments are much harder and something you really dont want.
PSA, every guy over 40 should know this word and what it means. Prostate Specific Antigen, that is a chemical your prostate puts out and is very easy to read in any blood work up. Cancerous cells put out higher PSA than normal cells and will reflect in you blood work and will throw up a flag that more testing is needed.
Digit check, plain and simple the doc puts his finger (or Digit) up your ass and feels your prostate for any inlargement, DO NOT think that that is the only test you need, you must get your PSA numbers also. I had a digit test every year from 40-52 years old and it never reflected anything, it was my high PSA number that got my Doctors attention.
So my PSA comes in at 4.1 at my annual physical (start at 40 no matter what your doctor says) doc says your PSA is high, what is high I say, 4.0 is the threashold he says, you need to see a uroligist. so he has my attention, I dread going to get possible bad news, but hey I have always been proactive about my health. go to another doc and he instantly wants to do a biopsy. HOLD on I say, I need to educate my self. so I wont bore you with all the details, but I proceded to educate myself over the next 6 months and talked with all the friends who had it or a family member who had it and so on. Read the book Surviving Prostate Cancer by DR. Patrick Walsh, about as thick as a phone book but very informative. fired the first doctor and found the best in the country for a second opinion. I still had not proceded to the next step, Biopsy. after meeting with the new doc and learning all I could, I had to know so I set up the biopsy.
Biopsy, anywhere from 8-24 very long needles (10-12inches)up your ass thru your colon wall into your prostate to extract tissue samples. not pleasant and you are not put under. Week later results back-POSITIVE!
Little bit about me, 52 very active, work out at the club 3-4 times a week since I was 19, competative Racquet Ball, excellent condition 6-2 228 pounds. I take my health very seriously and live life to the fullest. HOW can this happen to me? THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART, Prostate cancer does not only pick on sick people or fat people or who ever. So I have it, my only thought was, get it out of me.
Options
-have it removed completely (thats what I had done)
-radioactive seeds implanted in your prostate (dont want radiation)
-drastic diet change (does not get rid of the cancer)
-Syber Knife radiation (dont want radiation)
-Cyrogenetics (freezing it)
and there are a few more, all but the surgery have to many unknowns for me, and surgery is not for everyone. you must be healthy enough for it, it is major surgery when they remove a organ from your body,even though it is very small.
long story short, I had it out, I blazed thru recovery and was home the next day, helped alot that I was in good shape. the side effects are not what i want, but I am alive and cancer free and never had to have any radiation. to this day a year and a half later, I wear a pad for urin leakage and have never had an erection since surgery and probably never will.
so, start getting checked at 40 and ask for your PSA numbers. you must know the number so when it starts up you can get ahold of it and beat it. there is so much more I could tell you all about diet and death that I have seen from guys who did not pay attention. If any of you have questions I can answer I would be happy to on a IM message. I am not a doctor, but when you are told you have cancer you learn all you can about it and you become very passionate about it.

Re: What every Man needs to know about Prostate Cancer

Thank you for sharing. I had no idea about the needle thing- HOLY SMOKES that has to be horrible! I'd rather have a doc with huge mits do a digit check three times a year than go through that!!

I concur with the OP.
July 28, 2011 I had my my prostate removed.
I didn't want to spend the rest of my life looking over my shoulder waiting for the cancer to take over.
They used the DeVinci robot to do the job and it worked great.
My PSA is now ZERO.

Wow, thanks for the information. Some hard hitting facts there. Congratulations on being cancer free now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kmussack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I concur with the OP.
I didn't want to spend the rest of my life looking over my shoulder waiting for the cancer to take over.
My PSA is now ZERO. </div></div>Did you suffer the consequences that he did once it was removed? No way I could do it just as a precaution if that's the case. All of this does make me want to know more and know my numbers. My Mom is battling Ovarian cancer and it wasn't pretty. Doing better now and is cancer free at the moment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kmussack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I concur with the OP.
My PSA is now ZERO. </div></div>

At Tulane in New Orleans?

I too had the DeVinci robot surgery, part of the reason for the fast recovery and really the wave of the future for removal if surgery is the ticket. I am sure Kmussak did not have his removed just for the hell of it, most likely he had cancer and that was his best choice. all the other choices still leave you with the unknown of still having cancer. Also the other options have the same possible side effects. the prostate has 2 sets of nerve bundles surrounding it, one controls bladder function and the other sexual function, they have to be cut loose from the organ and hopefully they will re grow and things can be somewhat normal. if you have any of the radiation methods then those same nerve endings can get killed when treated with the same effects. hopefully my side effects will get better, and my PSA has been 0 since my surgery, but for all you guys out there who want to continue to make love to your wife and girl friends the way you are used too, then change your diet and get plenty of exercise and stay on top of your prostate health. that little organ plays a huge role in you life, pay attention to it.

My 79 yr. old Dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer last year and went the radiation route. 70 mile trip every day for 36 days. He jokes that his PSA is now lower than the day he was born. He is currently cancer free, but keeps a sharp eye on it with regular check ups. Early diagnosis is key.

I wanted my 100th post to be on a significantly important subject. I chose to post to this thread as a way to celebrate my milestone and to honor my father.

Outstanding bear58, glad to hear your dad kicked it ass also, there are many ways to tackle prostate cancer, catching it early gives you the best options. sounds like a tough dude, hug him often and spend time with him. give him a slap on the back for me! glad I could be part of your 100th post!

Thank you for posting this Kimmel. I just hit 40 and thought the digital test covered everything. I was obviously wrong about that. Most people forget that this is one of the more curable forms of cancer when it's caught early. That's especially important when you consider that there are several ways to treat it. I think one of the worst things about cancer is the feeling that you don't get a say in the way the doctors treat you. I'm glad you took the time to educate yourself on the treatment options. When it's something that serious, you need to be proactive about it. My wife has cancer now (obviously not prostate). It sucks to be dealing with it. I wish she had more options. Good luck to you.

thx alot brother, you are on the right track paying attention and I hope many people I may touch through the rest of my life will learn from what i learned. I did feel in complete control of my options only because I was proactive about my health. be strong for your wife and i will pray for her kickin ass on her cancer.

Thank you Kimmel.
It's strange how the world works. A local doctor told me that prostate cancer was more common and in many cases had more serious consequences than breast cancer, yet breast cancer seems to get the most attention world wide.

Great and necessary post,thanks to Kimmel.We all need to know this stuff. I started to get both tests at 40 and so far so good. The next thing everyone should get done is a colonoscopy beginging at 50 even with no symptoms. Just like prostate cancer what you don't know can and will probably kill you. If you find before it gets real bad these days they can fix it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Harald</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A local doctor told me that prostate cancer was more common and in many cases had more serious consequences than breast cancer</div></div>
Due to prostate cancer's indolent nature, many older men die WITH it rather than FROM it. A huge percentage of elderly men will have prostate cancer if you do an autopsy and look at their prostate glands, but many of those men never knew they had it, and were old enough when it developed that dying 20 years later from the prostate cancer was unlikely (ie, the heart disease or whatever will get them first).

PSA screening is actually fairly controversial in the medical literature (at least, it was a couple years ago - I'm not a GP so I don't keep up on the subject very well). Many doctors feel that mildly borderline PSA values are subjecting many men to those invasive needle biopsies for no good reason.

very true, most men will die with it and never know. problem is that you dont want to be the unlucky one to get it early like me and many others and die young from it. at 52 I feel I have alot of living to do still as all guys would. I have heard all the ups and downs about PSA testing and if not for it I would have never known and would be dead in the next couple of years. What frustrated me most was after mine was out and they did the full on patholigy report, I had cancer in both sides and only showed on one side with the biopsy. I have two guys I have met that had two biopsys done with no positive results only to still have high PSA. deceided to have the prostate removed and both had cancer in both sides. I am a firm beliver in PSA testing as it saved my life and it is so easyily tested with a simple blood draw out of you arm that I would recommend it to every guy no matter what you read. the fact is that all men will get prostate cancer if you live long enough, might as well be on top of it in case you get it early. I can tell you lots of sad stories about the ones I met who did not and are suffering right now or dead. Again, be proactive about your health, get tested!

So is the idea to get a PSA test in your late 30s early 40s as a baseline? Then you'll know if it is ever "high" for you.

I doubt if you will find many doctors who will test you in your 30,s I started at 40 only because that is always what I heard to do. you may also find doctors who will tell you to wait past that. Alot of the info I learned going thru this is that, there is alot of thought that alot of men are being missed and that the trend is to start earlier. with all the preservatives in our food these days and the amount of fat and High Fruticose Corn Suryp, I would agree with that. The youngest person I ran into with cancer was 27, several in their 30,s and quite a few in their 40,s and it just went up from there. It is such an easy test i would reccomend you start at 40 or so and then you have your base line and you can get checked every year and IF it ever goes up you will know like i did and have the best options to tackle it. I would also make sure you start at 50 for your Colon Cancer check, it is very easy and very important.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskeyWebber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So is the idea to get a PSA test in your late 30s early 40s as a baseline? Then you'll know if it is ever "high" for you. </div></div>
That is what I did. First PSA and digital was at 40.My Dept. has everone over 40 get a full physical and blood work up every year so for me any change will get picked up quick.

outstanding! you are ahead of the game. did they tell you your psa number? ask them what it is so you will know, my guess it will be around .003 or so. I was positive for cancer at 4.1

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I never really read anything about prostate cancer before. I guess I was just putting my head in the sand. Congrats on being cancer free, and I will schedule my bloodwork soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kimmel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">outstanding! you are ahead of the game. did they tell you your psa number? ask them what it is so you will know, my guess it will be around .003 or so. I was positive for cancer at 4.1 </div></div>
Yeah mine is still below .5 after 18 years of testing. Colonoscopy was negative also. Probably gonna have a building fall on me but I'll be relatively healthy the day before.

that is perfect Canman! The Colonoscopy is just as important to get checked. 50 is the limit, do not wait past that. usually if your is clear they will have you return in 5-6 years and if it is clear again you will probably not have to have it again. mine was clear at 50 and i will go back at 56, my wifes was also clear and she goes back at 60, go figure! I have a gal friend who works for a group of doctors, cancer doctors to boot. couple of months ago was feeling just a little down like with a minor cold and some stomach ache. doc said you feeling o.k. at work, she said just a little down, for some reason he asked her if she had had a Colonoscopy (52 years old)she said no. he told here if she was not feeling better by weeks end he wanted to do one. She had it done and they found 3 areas of concern. 4 days later she was scheduled for surgery to remove 8 in. of her colon that was cancerous. What the hell was she thinking, when was she going to get it done?
lucky for her and a quick thinking doc she was spared alot worse outcome if she would have continued to wait. it had just got into the colon wall and looks like they got it all. she did not have to wear a bag, nor will have to hopefully. Just think how much fun wearing a shit bag would be every day of your life, I have good friend who has one after 15 years of Prostate cancer and the radiation that wiped out his colon after treatment, cause he never got tested. Keep harping on the testing and to get off your ass and step up, most guys think nothing will happen to them and wait until it is too late. Believe me the last place you want to visit is the hospital as a patient and see the sick and what you may become. I could not wait to get away from that place and hope to never go back.

Thanks for the post, really informative...Good Info! My wife has always been on me about getting physicals especially now that I'm nearing 40. I don't want to offend and you guys that have had this done can PM me if you want to, but I'd like to ask some hard questions.

**First, I understand that you haven't been able to achieve an erection since the removal, what about sexual desire is it diminished also?

**Second, If you do have the desire...can you achieve an orgasm and does anything come out? Since the prostate gland produces part of the ejaculate and your testicles produce the sperm, what if you have had a vasectomy? At this point, both parts are gone and I assume nothing comes out, am I correct or no?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kimmel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that is perfect Canman! The Colonoscopy is just as important to get checked. 50 is the limit, do not wait past that. usually if your is clear they will have you return in 5-6 years and if it is clear again you will probably not have to have it again. mine was clear at 50 and i will go back at 56, my wifes was also clear and she goes back at 60, go figure! I have a gal friend who works for a group of doctors, cancer doctors to boot. couple of months ago was feeling just a little down like with a minor cold and some stomach ache. doc said you feeling o.k. at work, she said just a little down, for some reason he asked her if she had had a Colonoscopy (52 years old)she said no. he told here if she was not feeling better by weeks end he wanted to do one. She had it done and they found 3 areas of concern. 4 days later she was scheduled for surgery to remove 8 in. of her colon that was cancerous. What the hell was she thinking, when was she going to get it done?
lucky for her and a quick thinking doc she was spared alot worse outcome if she would have continued to wait. it had just got into the colon wall and looks like they got it all. she did not have to wear a bag, nor will have to hopefully. Just think how much fun wearing a shit bag would be every day of your life, I have good friend who has one after 15 years of Prostate cancer and the radiation that wiped out his colon after treatment, cause he never got tested. Keep harping on the testing and to get off your ass and step up, most guys think nothing will happen to them and wait until it is too late. Believe me the last place you want to visit is the hospital as a patient and see the sick and what you may become. I could not wait to get away from that place and hope to never go back. </div></div>
I was lucky I waited until this year 58 for a colonoscopy. My GP(only been going to him 4 years now) kept nagging me to get done and I finally decided to stop being a baby and just do it.Want to take my granddaughter hunting and shooting,gotta be here to do that.It's good to see the guys reading this thread are getting the message. Thanks Kimmel

no problem on my end answering any questions. I found out right away when you have your ass and balls in the open air and up in nurses and doctors faces as you go thru Prostate or Colon cancer, that all modisty is out the door. WTF, who cares in my mind I just want to live!
First question my wife asked when the doc came into check on me after the surgery. What will happen sexually now that there is no prostate. Well he said, let me put it this way. No one will have to sleep in the wet spot. he has a great sence of humor which you would need, having ass holes in your face all day long.
Facts- Vasectomy will not hinder any sexual perfromance, there is just no sperm being mixed with the fluid comming from the prostate. I had one when my son was born 27 years ago, piece of cake, get it done also!
-when you ejaculate, everything you see is from the prostate, sperm is microscopic and is mixed into the fluid.
-no prostate, no ejaculations
-yes I still want to fuck everything female that would hold still long enough to let me, yah, yah, interject every kind of humor you want, but i still have all the desire.
-very hard to fuck anything when your dick is always at its smallest. hope that changes and it might with the nerve endings re growing.
-doc says you dont use it you loose it and after 1-2 years of no erections I may never get another. its not me, I egg that fucker on to get hard every day.
-yes you can still achieve climax, and if feels like it is trying to pump a load out it just has nothing to shoot. same feeling, just no mess. however getting to that point can be alot of work with a limp dick. Every day I am reminded that I am not the same man I was sexually just a short time ago. Its like you loose a big part of you. But, I am alive and still as perverted as all men are! right?
Last thing I would have ever expected the day I went to get my routine check up and the doc said your PSA is high, was that 9 months later I would never have an erection or sex life as I knew it again. life is short and precious, you can loose alot when your health goes away. WE take our health for granted every day and when it is gone, WELL! it sucks. I have always been a very healthy person in my mind and if you could see me you would probably agree that I look the part of a very healthy person, always exercised 3-4 times a week, always have eaten pretty well, never drank alot, always wondered what I would die from. I have been HUMBLED greatly by this experience and will teach all I can to be proactive about your health. I do know I will not die from Prostate cancer cause I paid attention!

Is it unheard of to have your prostate checked before 40? I am 35 now and wondering if it is too early. I believe my doc said 40 was the norm too. I found that out when I went in for a routine 2 year check-up. He walked in and I had my trousers off...he said to get dressed. Didn't need to check anything down there for a little while longer.

ya know you can hear all different ideas, there is alot of talk about earlier checking as they are finding it in younger guys often. you also hear the government saying PSA testing and Mamograms for women are not needed and over rated. go hang out in any Urology office and see how many guys are comming in every day with prostate issues. it is your health and if you tell your doctor to check it he should. I would say it is early, I started at 40, it took 12 years to show up, and all that I read it is about 12-15 years for it to grow to the point of showing up on screening. keep in mind that PSA testing is not automatically part of blood work, make sure you ask for the PSA scores when you get your physical, do what makes you feel good and once you start you can have your PSA score and compair it year to year. do not miss a year once you start, annual screening is the ticket so you can be ready if it goes up, if you get it your options are wide open if caught early.

im going to get mine checked ASAP - im 48 so figure id better get the Colon thing checked as well. Im a heavy drinker figure im destined for bad news at some point. need to change my evil ways.

hey Geezler, dont do your self in just yet, glad you are going to pay attention and get some screening, never too late to start. No one is out there telling guys how bad alcahol is for your Prostate, yah we all hear that too much drinking is bad in general, but the refined sugers in alcahol is very bad for your prostate and dont be surprised when you are asked how much you drink. Refined suger and refined flour are very hard on it. again your prostate is in line with your digestive system and all that stuff goes thru it in the chemicle form. you know we are not going to stop eating and drinking, but MODERATION is very crutial in your diet. make sure you tell the doc you want a PSA test and not just the finger up the ass treatment. All the finger does is check for enlargement, I had none, and had a finger up my ass every year for 12 years and 10 times in 6 months after I found out I had high PSA. it can be a usefull test, but never told anything in my case. ask for your PSA score! you will feel better once you get a clean bill of health. goog luck!

one thing to know about getting your PSA test, is no sex couple days before you get your blood drawn. Sexual activity will or can increase your PSA reading for several days after you have sex. my first doctor denied this fact, I fired him and moved on, have read it many times in different publications.

a few places you can get lots of info about your prostate is to google Prostate cancer and John Hopkins has alot of free info about all aspects.

another is the book by Dr. Patric Walsh, surviving prostate cancer, lots of good info on diet and more in that book. good read even if you dont have cancer.

As a survivor I can say keep a eye on psa a doubling in one year is also a red flag ,sorry to here I am not the only one here.I wish there was no such thing.

good advise eye tat! the info I found in my case that was the red flag was a PSA over 4.0 and a increase of 70 percent or more. my next reading 6 months later was 6.9, 70 percent would have been 6.8, so no matter what your number is like eye tat said watch for increases, 70 percent or doubling from your previous reading should get your attention right now! one personal note that is as true as it comes so you can see how important screening is, my very best friends father was a hard working Wisconsin farmer, never went to the doctor, I am tough he thought, I will live forever, I only eat what I grow...
I did not know this man and this was a generation before me kinda, but after I was hit with it my friend told me his dads story. so, one day he does not feel well, does go to the doc. and he finds out he has advanced prostate cancer. 16 months later he died at 62 years old. never got any screening, could have saved his life!
so this post has about run its course and you are probably getting tired of it, but I am telling you guys this cancer is on the rise big time and if you think you are safe or untouchable, you are sadly mistaken. many or most of you will die not knowing you have it and will die from something else, but dont let it win, get screened and beat it!

went in today for my 18 month PSA test. .08, perfect! hopefully it will always be that low. doc gave me the option of every 6 months or jump to a year now. I will go one more 6 month span and if it stays low I will start with the year after that. I counted 31 guys came in while I waited for my apponitment in 35 minutes. I could hear them say they were there for their prostate. hopefully it was just for a check up, but by the time you get to this doctor you already have problems. Prostate Cancer is now the number 2 cancer in the country, over 260,000 men will be told they have it this year and many more will have it and not know because they have their heads in the sand. Do your self a big favor and call tomorrow and make an appointment to have your PSA checked!

Guys need to know that the prostate biopsy is nothing to be concerned about (if it comes down to that). Experiences vary as to how awful it is. I was told by a guy he'd rather have full-blown surgery than go through the biopsy again. Others guys have less trouble with it.

If the procedure is an issue for you, look around to find a doctor who will sedate you for the procedure (twilight sleep). My "second-opinion" doctor said I needed the biopsy after an abnormal finding on the digital exam. He performs them in an outpatient surgery center with the patient knocked out (propofol?). It was as easy as could be. The most traumatic part was considerable amounts of blood in post-biopsy sexual activity. You have to prepare yourself for that as it can mess with your mind.

Bottom line, do not put off a biopsy if it is truly warranted. There are plenty of good docs who are happy to have you blissfully unaware during the entire procedure.

great advise senghost, he is very correct. The biopsy was very smooth and not as bad as I was hearing. My doctor did a great job in making it much better than I was expecting.

I had prostrate surgery about a year ago, not because of cancer but a enlarged prostrate. I took the old route, had them go up and shave the prostrate down smaller so it wouldn't press on my bladder (knocked out of course). Recovery was a bitch. You are pissin through a open wound until it heals (about four weeks)makes you stand on your tip toes while you are taking a leak, litterally! But, no cancer but have to keep a eye on it, nothing to mess around with guys. Think I will go the laser route next time if it happens again.

OUCH! hope you will be done and never experience that again...

Something to think about....Had a buddy's dad get it done after cancer treatment. It was funny at first and still is, but kept his dad in the game which seemed to make him a lot happier. We still joke about it, but it changed his whole outlook on something he thought we would never have again.

http://www.webmd.com/erectile-dysfunction/guide/penile-prosthesis

that is an option along with injections. neither one looked any fun to me and i have looked into both extensively. sticking a needle into your dick before sex each time does not sound like fun and the side effects were too much also. erections lasting for hours and painfull and severe headache. Damn appealing! no doubt every person may react differently, but not something I want to try. the implants are at best a semi hard noodle from what I have been told by guys having it. you need a resivour, a pump and the inflatable straws on each side of your dick. Pump up your testicle to engage the fluid from said pump and insert noodle. when done, hit release valve and fluid returns to storage. Pretty crude explanation and not wanting to down play the effort guys have gone thru that do have it. But not for me either.
I have a good fix! change your diet and habits and get plenty of exercise and never get Prostate cancer, and have the natural hard on you were born with, and do what you please with it. the alternatives are not pleasant to deal with!