• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Every Reloading Bench Needs

427Cobra

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
  • Nov 24, 2005
    DFW Texas
    I own some of the most lusted after reloading tools
    Forster Co-Ax Press
    Giraud Trimmer
    Gen 1 and now Gen 2 Prometheus Powder Scales
    I bought these tools because my time off is better spent with my family or shooting, not reloading, if you can't afford these time saving persicion tools I respect that, if you don't see a need for them is because you have never used them.

But the one tool I could not live without is 20 bucks from Walmart, Mini Shop Vac, I use this all the time, keeping my reloading bench clean is paramount to my wife putting up with reloading in the house I pay for, as all married fathers know when the MILF is happy the rest of the house is happy.

So please share your one reloading tool that you couldn't live without.

Re: What Every Reloading Bench Needs

Anything that makes reloading faster while keeping quality the same or better. The less time I spend reloading the happier she is.

And the more time I get to go shoot.

Ordering a Giraud trimmer this week too.

You had to ask? LOL!

media1.jpg

Terry

My TargetMaster Powder trickler would be hard to do without also.

M5Sensor2.jpg

I'm pretty spartan when it comes to my reloading techniques. I clean cases by hand with a wad of steel wool, chamfer necks by hand with an RCBS tool, and trickle powder over a balance beam scale using a paper cup and my fingers. However, the 3 tools I couldn't live without would be:

1) A flashlight to look down in the cases after priming and powdering. 5 seconds of standing over a loading block full of cases and scanning them between steps will help ensure you don't miss a case with either step.

2) Lee Auto Prime hand priming tool. Makes quick work of priming.

3) Hornady bullet comparator/digital caliper for measuring loaded cartridge length. Much more accurate than basing your OAL on the base to meplat length.

I'm not a big believer in the necessity of much brass prep, or that I have to have powder charges measured down to the kernel, or that there is any serious voodoo to reloading. I firmly believe that if you work up a good load, and have sound shooting fundamentals, the rest of reloading nuances are a waste of time...as I'd rather be with my family or shooting, than on the bench.

That being said, certain constants you just can't get around...trimming being one of them.. There is no way in the world that I would reload without my Giraud trimmer or dual charge masters....

Web cam/lap top and FSViewer ( free full screen software)ste up to read either a Prometheus Gen 1.5 or balance beam scale fast, accurate and no neck or eye strain

Theoretically speaking, the 2nd amendment...but to the real point I'd say the bench...without that I'd be sitting on a stool looking at a pile of expensive crap on the floor.

I don't know how I ever reloaded without my chargemaster or Hornady bullet comparator & digital caliper! But I like x-fan's beer fridge under the bench idea the best!

Chargemaster for sure, fridge nice too!
    Dillon 650 for quanity is a no brainier too

calender with the photos of girls who save a lot of fabric on their clothing

Right now it's my drill press. I used to do everything with hand tools, but now I'm fully automated. I'm still shocked at how fast it has speeded up my case prep.

All the above and my handy-dandy goose neck high intensity lamp.

+1 on the mini shop vac!

I would say my RCBS 3-way trimmers are life savers in terms of time as well as rocking a Chargemaster 1500 and Lyman 1200 back to back though I would rather have two Chargemasters...

+1 on the mini-shopvac. My fiance's mom actually bought it for me once my bench was setup as a gift for my hobby space.

Also, I have my dart board right there next to me. It's fun to step aside and throw a round to clear my mind
    smile.gif

I was under the time limitations for reloading that having a family usually impose. The Giraud Trimmer has cut my brass prep time down to minimal. So, the Giraud would be #1, with the Chargemaster a strong #2.

I belong to the AA chapter here on the Hide,(anal accuracy)

I got lots of time on my hands and do everything the old fashioned slow way for my meticulously prepped and weighed brass. I even anneal. Well, except for pistol and blasting ammo for the carbine for close in shooting.

I use a Harrel powder measure to drop .4 grains less for the balance beam scale and weigh to the kernal, use a Wilson trimmer with micrometer adjust and lightly hand chamfer.

Here are a few things I use and like.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/892537/imperial-dry-neck-lube-application-media-1-oz

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/519525/imperial-case-sizing-wax-2-oz

All Larry's products are truly no nonsense, do what their supposed to innovations.

http://www.larrywillis.com/

Here are mine. I constantly reference these

88n1606s1.jpg

71.115899.jpg

and these things never been more frustrated then not being able to sort or load without trays.
    12969-DEFAULT-m.jpg

The usual things are my Giraud trimmer, my Tumbler + SS Media, and my GD-503 scale with Omega trickler.

Stuff I couldn't life without are my calipers with inserts for checking headspace, my Sinclair's COAL gauge (the octagonal one), my sharpie pen, and my Sinclair's Concentricity gauge. These things are table stakes for figuring out what works and what doesn't. While I don't use them all the time, I am dead in the water without them.

Another handy thing I have is the Neil Jones decapping tool. It goes with the SS Media. I rarely have to worry about cleaning out primer pockets and flash holes because I decap before I tumble. I don't, but if I wanted, I could take it to the range, decap, and throw the cases into some soapy water after firing.

I have spent a lot of money on a lot of reloading tools, but I am lucky that I use pretty much everything I have.

+1 on the beer fridge, but one under a bench is too small, I have a full size.
    The mini shop vac might be cool, but I have "The Shark", advertised by Billy Banks or some other loudmouth lifeless douche. It will supposedly pick up a fucking bowling ball!!!
    So suck on them apples.

Other than my measuring tools......

1. GD503 and Omega Trickler

2. Stainless Steel media and tumbler

3. Giraud Trimmer

Another very useful item on the bench is my illuminated swingaway magnified jeweler's lamp. Got one at Harbor Freight for $35 awhile back and use it all the time.

+1 for chargemaster. God only knows how much time I wasted with a manual trickler and beam scale before I bought it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the beer fridge, but one under a bench is too small, I have a full size.
    </div></div>
    Nice!
    on the other hand if it appears responsible you can restock more frequently!
    wink.gif

We keep a 25 year old Highland Park squirreled away in the upper cupboards....Doesn't get much better than that!
    laugh.gif

You can keep your Vacuum!
    smile.gif

I'm going with 3 of the cheapest lee presses made great to leave a universal decapping die in a military primer crimp remover or a Hornady bullet puller in. Saves time and you don't have to monkey with your good press when its already set up for other more important operations.

One more thing.... I have a small Black and Decker electric heater I place behind my bench stool during the cold weather months. It's on most of the time except when I am working with powder. I like warm.

I would have to say Giraud trimmer edges out the chargemaster for biggest time saver, and most used.