• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What extra AR parts to take to a class?

pickpick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2008
Jonesboro,Ar.
I'm signed up for an Urban Precision Rifle course and I'm taking my Armalite midlength carbine. Im thinking I might should take extra parts for it. What kind of a parts list do you guys take when going to a class or comp? Should I be shopping for a number 2 to take with me or just a sack of parts? Thanks alot.

Re: What extra AR parts to take to a class?

What you take would be decided by who you train with. If you go train with EAG Tactical, they have a dozen rifles you can borrow free of charge if yours goes down. Other groups do as well. If that's the case, then the minimum you would want to bring would be an extra extractor and an emergency small parts kit. Rock River Arms markets their LAR-15 "Oh Shoot" Kit for $15, which basically includes almost anything you would need if your gun went down. The only thing that it doesn't include is an extractor, which is also relatively inexpensive.

Several places carry the RRA "Oh Shoot" kit, but you can get it on their website.
http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=523

The Extractor you can get anywhere, like a gun shop or online at MidwayUSA or Brownells. If you get the RRA "Oh Shoot" kit, I would also get their Bolt Rebuild kit, which has all the needed bolt/BCG parts you'd need.

If you go to a course where they don't have loaner rifles or you aren't sure, I would recommend buying an extra whole lower parts kit as well as a spare complete bolt carrier group at the minimum.
If you plan on going to training courses on a regular basis in the future, it would be prudent to think about investing in a second rifle at some point. I wouldn't do it for one or two classes, but it you want to get serious about training, a backup rifle is a good fail-safe.

The other option is to bring cash and alcohol. I bring my armoring kit and parts containers to every course I take. When another guy has his rifle go down due to mechanical trouble, I will charge them for the cost of the parts only, but it's sort of expected that they buy me dinner or at least a round or two at the bar.
smile.gif

OH- Don't forget to bring spare batteries for every battery-operated piece of kit you have. Optic, light, laser, earmuffs, pistol light, etc.

One of the things I bought just to have around but have never had to use is a broken case extractor. Just a thought to add to your spare parts kit.

Dillon Precision sells an emergency repair kit for an AR15. Its the parts that actually wear out or people lose when taking their gun apart.

An extra extractor or complete bolt is always in my kit when i take a class though.

What I take to a comp is the same that I take to a class but the difference is if I have an issue at a USPSA comp then I am stuck because I cannot replace and parts once the match has started.
I carry an extra trigger kit, bolt, extractors and such.

If you have one, (or can afford another) take a second rifle. You won't want to be screwing around working on your rifle and missing drills, instruction, etc. if it breaks. Do make sure you take lube to keep it wet...............

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EXTREMEPREJUDICE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do make sure you take lube to keep it wet...............</div></div>
While I <span style="font-style: italic">probably</span> agree with you, this will also depend on where he is going... obviously.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> this will also depend on where he is going... obviously. </div></div> Of course, should have added a "sandbox" disclaimer.

Thanks fellas. I'll get a list of parts together and take plenty of oil. Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EXTREMEPREJUDICE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of course, should have added a "sandbox" disclaimer.</div></div>
I figured that's probably what you meant, I just wanted to make sure the guy wasn't mixing concrete in the action of his AR
grin.gif

Small sack of parts + an extractor, an extractor and an extractor
grin.gif
Seriously though, bring an extractor, that will almost always be the first thing to go when you're shooting a high volume in a relatively short period. (In my personal experience.)

ETA: You may want to consider something like this, depending on what kind of bolt you have. http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extra...%20%203pack.htm

Over 31 years of extreme military shooting I broke only one part in the course of training, competition, and combat that put my weapon completely out of commission: a Colt M723 (GI M16A2 student weapons pool carbine at a training course) bolt that catastrophically separated at the cam pin hole, leaving the bolt locked in the extension with the carrier pushed to rear, preventing the upper and lower from being shot-gunned.

The only other part that broke was an extractor pin that broke in half, discovered during routine stripping and cleaning. Temporarily cannibalized one off my spare rifle and I was back in business the next morning.

Most of the big places have an armorer on site and can take care of any issues you may have. Other than that, I carry an extra extractor and extractor spring kit. Depending on how long you have had the gun, an extra bolt.

Minimum is an extractor. my kit as full spare parts for everything. and I prefer to have a complete bolt it not a whole BCG to drop it (previously tested in the weapon to confirm function).

I always take an extra gun just in case. But extra springs, full BCG and a few tools has always done well for me.

Extra gun with a known zero. Let's say it is even a fixable problem, you are going to have to go off line and work on your gun, usually in suboptimal conditions. An extra gun takes a minute to swap out and you can monkey with your primary during a break or that night. When you look at the direct costs of a class of tuition and ammo, then the travel and accomidations and just burning time, to me an extra rifle starts to look cheap.

I picked up a BCM SS 16 middy with the New Viking rail. I can run a carbine class or a precision class with it and not feel I'm disadvantaged.

I had an ejector break the other day at the range. 2-300 rnds total through my MK12. The gun had been sitting in a safe for 6 months while I was deployed. Lesson Learned... carry a spare bolt and work some CLP into the ejector pin and spring. Had a dust cover detent break off at a class on an LWRC M6A2. Now keep a spare door on hand too. My .02. CJ

I would consider extra magazines and that's about it; especially when there's a loaner rifle available.

I used to shoot highpower with M1A and Garand, and I typically carried an entire extra trigger housing group for each, as well as firing pins and the bolt disassembly tool. The stuff got used some, but never for my own guns.

Still it was a good idea for me (or somebody) to have the stuff handy. The real key is; if there's nothing available where you are, it's really a moot point about it being available elsewhere. Your string is over, and usually, so is your event.

Greg

Front Sight recommends bringing an entire spare rifle. I ignored this advice and regretted it. So my advice is, bring a spare rifle if you have one.

You don't know which part will fail. In fact, the rifle may just start having problems and you don't have tons of time to troubleshoot. <span style="font-weight: bold">It's nice just to have an entire backup and continue the day with absolute minimum downtime.</span>