• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What features to look for in a dedicated sub sonic .308 scope?

bhart89

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2009
LA
I'm putting a rifle together to be used primarily for sub sonic shooting with .308 (20" AAC Rem 700). Max range for this rifle would probably only be 150-175 yards. I would like to keep cost of the optic below $800. (The rifle already has a Badger 20 MOA rail and I have Badger medium 30mm rings).

I was thinking about the Vortex Viper PST 4-16, SWFA 3-15, Weaver Tactical 3-15 or 4-20.

I like FFP scopes for ranging which shouldn't be an issue for a 175 yard rifle. Would SFP be a better choice for this purpose?

To me, hold points first, how much up in one rev second.
My .308 is a one do all gun. I shoot it to 1300yds, as well as 1K matches(which I suck at) and I shoot subs to 400yds at least 2-3 times a week. My glass is a 3.5x10 leupold M3 because of the hold points as well as 55 moa in one rev. If I could have my wish for doing everything with one scope it would be, 90 IPHY in one rev, 80 IPHY of holds in FFP and 2.5-20 power but I also what the aiming X at the very top of the recital not in the middle where you waste the top space. Subs took me 55moa + 2.5mils of hold to 400yds over my base full power zero, until I re-zeroed at the very top. Now I can just hold an shoot to most ranges, but it's still not to my liking for the max range my home grown casts subs have been shot to and they arrived nose on.

Everyone has different wants/needs. I like being confident in knowing, no matter which gun I grab or target in the scope I can send a specialty round and know where it "Should go" and the results I will get when it hits.

I'm currently having a Rem 700 16.5" 308 built for shooting subs also and have bought a Bushnell Tactical 3-12x44 G2DMR. I also looked at the scopes that you mentioned. Actually it was between the SWFA 3-15, Weaver Tactical 3-15, and the one I ended up buying. I ended up buying the Bushnell because of the reticle, good reviews of the knobs tracking true, and was able to get it for the same price as the SWFA. Just thought I would throw another option into the mix. If you search, there are plenty of head-to-head reviews and comparisons of the these scopes. Good luck with your choice. Let me know what you end up choosing.