• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What FL sizind die and mandrel?

bgavin

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2018
AL
I've been using RCBS die sets for 6.5 creed and 224 valkyrie.

After reading several threads lately I would like to upgrade my sizing die and get a mandrel to try and gain as much accuracy as possible.

Any suggestions on which ones is appreciated.

Thanks

I use a sinclair expander die with their turning mandrels. I have steel and carbide and won't buy another steel one. I've seen folks here talk about another brand in TiN (I have no exp w/ them).

To upgrade you sizing die I would go with a honed forster as my first choice just because its solid material the whole way through (which is a personal preference based on nothing other than emotion). The next choice would be a redding type s full length bushing die. Both of those will allow you to fine tune your neck working to the brass and I have both myself in about equal numbers. You can get "custom" cut dies but I dont think the expense is worth it.

For an expander you can use any PMA/Sinclair/21st century mandrel and body with the others mandrels or bodies.
K&M has their own proprietary type that only plays onits own.
The different coatings are nice, I have more TiN than anything, but I really cant tell any real practical difference in use.

Last edited:
The honed Forster is a solid choice

I use a lee collet and Redding body die combination.

I use 21st century mandrels to set neck tension on my new brass

I have been using Redding Competition dies and a 21st Century mandrel. The benefit I see in the 21st Century mandrels is they come in .0005 sizes. The only drawback I can see on the mandrel die itself is that it doesn’t have the o-ring that the Sinclair die has but honestly I have had little to no runout regardless.

Before replacing your RCBS sizer, measure neck od on a loaded rd and neck od on a sized case with the expander removed from the die. It's probably way oversizing, but you won't know w/o measuring.

I'm a fan of Redding Competition dies here. I prefer the 3 die set personally. I use the sinclair turning and neck mandrels

Reactions: 338dude and aam
So from what I've read and watched on some youtube videos. I am going to size down .004 with a FL bushing die and then use a mandrel to size back up .0002 to have more consistent neck tension?

Am I on the right track?

So from what I've read and watched on some youtube videos. I am going to size down .004 with a FL bushing die and then use a mandrel to size back up .0002 to have more consistent neck tension?

Am I on the right track?
Yeah, thats about what most do. You can vary the actual spec with testing but for a starting place thats perfect. Its all Ive ever bothered doing.

Reactions: bgavin
may i ask, if one uses a custom honed full length sizing die by Forster....is there a benefit to fun an expander mandrel ?

may i ask, if one uses a custom honed full length sizing die by Forster....is there a benefit to fun an expander mandrel ?
The theory goes that the sizing die sizes down from the outside of the case neck so it leaves the outside perfectly round with any differences in thickness being pushed to the inside.
And the mandrel sizes from the inside of the neck so that those differences in thickness get pushed to the outside leaving the inside of the neck, that interfaces with the bullet, perfectly round.
And there is a thou of spring back to consider so that’s why we go two thou past our goal and let the mandrel bring it back up.

In my practice I can’t tell a lick of difference between a bushing/honed die and a mandrel when both are set up to leave the completed brass at the same dimension. But it’s on lapua brass so it’s pretty darn good to start with. I think on crap brass it would have a more appreciable effect.

Any consensus on which bushing gets that -.004 spec you're looking for? (6CM and .308...Lapua brass on both accounts)

Seems the end result doesn't always match the listed spec, hence me asking.

i just ordered an expander die and mandrel....i think i'll try the Forster full length sizing die without expander ball followed by the expander die/mandrel. Does that sound correct?
thanks

i just ordered an expander die and mandrel....i think i'll try the Forster full length sizing die without expander ball followed by the expander die/mandrel. Does that sound correct?
thanks
Which Forster die? Their F/L die requires custom neck honing to get the size you choose.

The Redding F/L Type S bushing die uses bushings, you pick the desired size. (-.004 from your loaded diameter, as mentioned above)

yes the Forster F/L die, i plan to send in some fire formed cases to have it custom honed

Any consensus on which bushing gets that -.004 spec you're looking for? (6CM and .308...Lapua brass on both accounts)

Take the loaded diameter and subtract .004. That using should take it down .004 under. With about .001 spring back, you’ll be .003 under and only have .001 you need to mandrel out (you’ll probably mandrel out .002, but with spring back it will be the .001).

Reactions: pucker

Agree with above response. It's been different for me dependent on the brass. I always run an expander mandrel through new brass, load up a dummy round, and take caliper measurements to determine what bushing for what neck tension.

Reactions: pucker