• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what free Hornady bullet to pick

BeerAlchemist

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2009
WA
Finally received my Hornady Lock n Load and am about to turn in my form for 1000 free bullets. I only shoot 9mm, .223, and .308 and I have 1k .223 on deck that leaves me with the 9 and .308. Choices they offer are the .308 150 GR SP and GR FMJBT. The end goal is to start pushing my hunting rifle in the direction of long range shooting, would these rounds be worth it or would I quickly decide I would want a heavier round and then have a bunch of bullets I never use leaving me wishing I had 1k 9mm for plinking instead?

Re: what free Hornady bullet to pick

I'd go 9mm. The 150 SP has a pretty crappy BC for long range. Not a bad bullet, decent accuracy, but not going to reach out that far.

i went with the 45 xtp slugs and sold them online for
the same price i paid for my single stage.

Don't hold your breath. I sent in my check (you have to pay shipping) for my free bullets several months ago and no bullets yet.

The check, by the way, was cashed.

oh yeah i had forgotten it takes them a really long time to get them out to you i guess they are backed up i have heard out to a half year depending on the bullets that you select i so you may want to call them so see what potential wait time you may incure that may weigh into your decision

It took two months for me to get mine. But that was over a year ago.

I haven't gotten my press in yet, but I plan to get the 180 XTP's for 10mm. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep them all or sell some.

The pistol bullets are premium, excellent bullets. The rifle bullets they offered suck.

To put the BTSP's in perspective I have a 6x45 1:8t Shilen that shoots the 75 and 87 Vmax into 3/8" or better at 100y. The 100 BTSP shoots around 1" with 5 different loads and 2 different powders.

Get rifle bullets. They're worth twice as much as pistol bullets, in general. Sell them in the exchange forum and buy even more pistol bullets with the proceeds. The 308 150gr. FMJBT's should be easy to unload...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have 6.5 140gr AMAX's sent to me. I'm patient... </div></div>

Unfortunately Amax's are not on the list, or it would be a no brainer.

The backlog is a good thought and I'm eager to do some pistol work soon. Think I will go with the .308's and sell them like suggested. By the time it sounds like I get them I will have my 51 posts too. Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I just got an email last week stating some of my free bullets from 4 sets of dies I got for christmas was shipped. I sent the rebate in the first week of Jan. It takes a long time to get some of them.

I'd get whatever you can resell....45 XTPs for me...then buy what you want.

I have a batch coming from n order I placed in February. I have never waited this long before but I guess they are going as fast as they can. I had ordered 25 cal rifle before and this time went with the 44's.

Greg L.

Call them up and ask if you can upgrade and get them out sooner. I've read that some people have been successful at doing just that.