• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Gear would help me most?

CShooter92

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Let's start off by saying I probably don't "NEED" any more gear... but we all know that's not the mentality of most of us in this game. I've done alright in local matches (top 5 out of 50-60 shooters) with my current setup of rifle, gamechanger, harris bipod and borrowing a tripod or extra bag here and there on a stage.

I have a list of a few items I would like to pick up at some point but unsure which I would see the most benefit out of or help me save time/simplify what I already do. I do already reload as well so no need to get a full setup there.

Kestrel 5700
Magnetospeed Chrono
Atlas Bipod
Autothrow and Trickler + Scale
RRS Tripod and head

Reactions: northshorelumber
You're clearly a better shooter than I am. Just to throw something in...

figure out which stages/shots you're missing at/in and document that to improve in those areas

when you know what you're short on, you'll know if it's an equipment issue or a software/training issue and can make decisions from there

-wind calls
-positionals
-long range
-moving between positions
-multiple targets
-offside
-terrain/rooftops
-hydration
-energy levels
-focus
-KYLs
-etc

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
Record where you're missing shots, and spend money on ammo to practice in those areas.
The last item I bought was an Arca rail for my Manners stock. I found at the last match I was unable to attach to a tripod on one stage which cost me quite a few impacts on a very unstable position. I also found that adjusting a bipod forward and back possible now for those smaller shooting positions to get two points of contact.

Reactions: Raptor005
Kestrel 5700 great if you are gonna use it and like AB or 4dof
Magnetospeed Chrono had one. Sold it. Have enough friends with them and I have a different reloading situation so I'm always around one
Atlas Bipod yes. Def buy a cal gen 2
Autothrow and Trickler + Scale easier to get good results. If your current setup doesnt cut it. Ir youd just like to go faster (you'll end up getting 2 so warning)
RRS Tripod and head great. An anvil is awesome. But there are plenty of options like the Two Vets 40 Mike Mike /PVA Comp 40 that cost half
If I had to sort your list.
Atlas
Auto setup
Kestrel
Tripod
Magnetospeed

Mainly for convenience.

Just shooting more. Whether that's more matches or more training. In different conditions etc.

On the tripod...I shot a match (sh cup) and the first day was very tripod heavy. I was rocking my budget tripod and ball head I mount my binos on. At no point were my crosshairs even remotely close to the target and I was all over the place. Second day I shamelessly borrowed my squad mates set up (RRS and Anvil, RRS and Leveling head) and my hit ratio went up 80%. It was a night and day difference.
Not sure how many stages you shoot off of a tripod, but I know I will be investing in a better set up for my tripod oriented shoots.

For me it would be quality tripod with glass (binos). Big advantage to stare, watch others shoot, watch wind, memorize target order etc. Nothing to do with shooting, just for the sole purpose of stage prep. Second choice would be magnetospeed.

Reactions: 96C
Auto throw, more ammo = more practice > gear for adding points

You seem to be doing well with the gear you have. My priority for you:

1. Autothrower kit
2. Magnetospeed
3. RRS tripod
4. Atlas
5. Kestrel

Justification
Like others have said, autothrower will let you shoot better ammo more frequently. Magnetospeed to true your reloading and have better understanding of your handloads, tripod is probably the best tool to complete your rifle setup, you're getting by with a harris but atlas will be an improvement. Kestrel last because there are a lot of apps out there can do the same but are not as rugged as a kestrel.

I know I might take some criticism for this but you can save some major coin if you go with a different brand for the tripod. I love RRS but if your on a budget constraint I would look into a Leofoto. I’m not saying that they are the same but it’s probably a lot better than the one you have.

I know I might take some criticism for this but you can save some major coin if you go with a different brand for the tripod. I love RRS but if your on a budget constraint I would look into a Leofoto. I’m not saying that they are the same but it’s probably a lot better than the one you have.

Sounds good, Thanks. I have a match coming up this weekend so I'll have a look at a few different ones and figure which is best for me. I've been meaning to get a new tripod for hunting (glassing and video) so at least it would have a couple uses.

I had a 150$ camera tripod and I liked it for glassing and sitting shots. However once you extended the legs out for standing it was wobbly AF. I ended up getting a leofoto based on the positive reviews and I got to play with one at a match. I ended up getting a ball head and RRS vyce with it as well and was still under the cost of just the RRS tripod. I will end up getting an RRS but I buy what my stripes can afford right now lol