• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What glass to pair with my Remington 700P in AICS?

long range fire

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2008
WA, USA
I have this Remington 700P .308 26" bbl in AICS 1.0 skin. The rifle shoots great MOA, and right now has a Nikon Tactical 2.5-10x44 on a Badger base. The Nikon Tactical is a great scope, it's the old model name that's the same as the Nikon Monarch X Tactical as seen here: http://www.4scopes.com/tactical.htm

The problem I have is that my Nikon scope has the regular plex reticle (I bought the whole setup together so I didn't choose the scope). I am considering a mildot scope so I can expand my abilities with mildot ranging skills, etc. Another issue is that the scope is worth about $700, which is somewhat expensive (to me) and I'm thinking if I can trade it down some and not having to worry about the expensive glass as I hump this rifle around, especially when the reticle doesn't have what I am looking for.

So what do you think will be a lower priced mildot scope that will still pair well with the Rem700P 308 for ranges up to 600yd? I was thinking something in the $400-500 class range. I also have Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36 on another rifle, very nice glass and less price, but unfortunately it also has plex reticle, and also lacks side focus, or the tactical turrets.

I don't mind getting something used, as long as it's clear glass and has mildot with mildot turret and side focus, but I'm wondering if less expensive scope would still be good as the Nikon glass? I'm also wondering if I should just go even cheaper by having a SuperSniper or Falcon and call it a day. What do you all think? Here's a picture of my current setup.
rem700pssaics1a.jpg

Re: What glass to pair with my Remington 700P in AICS?

If you are not going to buy a high end scope now, you might as well get the Falcon or SS. In a rather short period of time, if your shooting progresses, you will inevitably step up to real glass. If your shooting does not progress, the cheaper scope will suit you fine.

Actually, Falcon or SS are the only options that fit the above description. If you want to do a mil reticle, you really should get mil knobs too.

Have you thought about sending it to Nikon and have the Mildot reticle put in? Might be least expensive way to go....

have you looked at a fixed power supersniper?

iron sights

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">iron sights </div></div>
A decent/good set will blow his budget is an heartbeat
wink.gif