• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What grain of bullet for twist rate?

madav8r

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2011
I have a model 12 savage in .223. it has a 1:9 twist in the barrel. I have been shooting factory ammo from federal which is 50 gr. hollow points. At 100 yrds, i can only seem to get 1 MOA at best for groups. ive been reading and do I need a bit heavier load for the twist rate? i was thinking of gettin some good 55 gr. or 62 gr. for my next big ammo purchase and wanted some input from people who know i bit more about ballestics than i do. what would be the best for accuracy for a 1:9 twist? thanks!

Re: What grain of bullet for twist rate?

ive been seeing pretty good results with 1380 blems(69 grain smk) from sierra over h4895 out of a 1 in 9 twist 18" barrel.

so for my twist rate, a heavier bullet will be better stabilized?

A 9 twist will be good with light bullets up through the 75-77 bthp's, just stay away from 75g A-max loaded ammo unless you are at higher altitude and summer temps. Those are at the ragged edge of stable flight in a 9 twist.

ok. i do live at over 7000 feet. i am looking at wanting a more popular gr ammo. such as a 62 gr possible. it seems pretty popular.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TjohnsonSavage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so for my twist rate, a heavier bullet will be better stabilized?</div></div>

Better stabilized… not really. Light bullet will be spun faster than needed for stability but at 223 velocities they will be fine. 12 twists will work with the lightest bullets up to around 60 grains, 7 twists will work with everything but the extremely long 90 grain vlds and even then they may work under the right atmospheric conditions. Light bullets with thin jackets (35-40 grains) may come apart depending on how fast they are pushed in a 7 twist.

A 9 twist is a happy medium but 69 grains do shoot very well in them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TjohnsonSavage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok. i do live at over 7000 feet. i am looking at wanting a more popular gr ammo. such as a 62 gr possible. it seems pretty popular.</div></div>

At 7000 feet you may want to try 75 amax (hornady 75grain tap ammo) during the summer, it may be just the ticket at longer distances.

62 grains will not be a problem, go for it.

Back when I had a 22" .223 AR with the 9 twist. I had a problem shooting 55s and went to 62s and didnt notice any differance. My cousin is shooting 43s in a 9 twist savage bolt and having sucess! On my current rig I've got a 16" 7 twist AR shooting 62 fusions and getting 1" groups at 100yds

In my opinion it would do you well to go with a bit of a heavier load, 55 or 62 will be a good choice for you, those might tighten up your groups a little bit.

Bottom line, you'll probably want to try a few different factory loads with different projectile weights/lengths to see what your weapon prefers. Predictions for which ammo will work best for a given twist are a great place to start, but every barrel can behave differently. To know for sure, you need to test a few different ammos out in your weapon. As an example, I have a Sig 556 DMR with a 21" 10-twist barrel. Although you would probably not have predicted it, it actually handles 77 gr SMKs out to 400 yd with no trouble whatsoever. Test a few in yours and find out what it likes the best.

Great information

I have an older Win M70 223, HV 26" barrel 1:9 twist version.
We have a local 300 yard 'midrange match', and I thought a 69g was my best option. I never thought that 77 would work, but it would be nice to buy 77g from Southwest ammo

My 1-12 will not stabilize a 62 FMJBT (IMI). May stabilize a shorted flat base bullet, like a 60 grain Nosler Partition. Yoy are just going to have to try the bullets you are interested in, without buying a ton of them first.

Good luck

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TjohnsonSavage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so for my twist rate, a heavier bullet will be better stabilized? </div></div>
No.

Your rifle's lack of accuracy has nothing to do with its twist rate which is plenty fast to stabilize the bullets you are using now.

There is a LOT more to accuracy than "matching the bullet weight to the twist". In fact, once your bullets aren't going sideways into the target, twist rate is mostly irrelevant in getting good accuracy.

Your rifle simply does NOT like the load you are feeding it. Either the ammo is just crap or the barrel vibrations induced by that load are hitting a resonant frequency that your barrel does not like.

Just try some more premium ammo in any weight between 50 and 75 grains until you find something it likes. Or just learn to hand load and then you can make exactly what your rifle shoots best with.