• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What gun for 1000m +?

rifleman0321

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2004
midwest/USA
I am looking into putting together a system for shooting 1000-1500m, since I finally have a place to shoot that far. Here are the criteria, and I would appreciate you guys' input.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Caliber:</span> Must be a standard factory load for ammo availability. No wildcats. Must use .308-dia. bullet, as I already have a boatload of those. Unless, of course there is a compelling reason not to go .30cal.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Cost:</span> Rifle must cost less than $2000.00. I have access to a very good smith who is a friend, so building custom is a possibility. In addition, I am willing to take time to round up components piecemeal in order to get more quality for the money. Stock rifles are fine, too.

I will leave the rest up to you guys, as I figure I'll get more ideas that way. I do not include scope, mount, rings, or accessories in the cost of the rifle, obviously. Thanks in advance for any input you may contribute.

Re: What gun for 1000m +?

Remington 700 5R Milspec in .300 Win Mag, it will do most of what you're looking for. As an aside, what .30 cal bullet do you have boat loads of?

By the responses, I get the idea that there aren't many pushing .30 cal bullets that far? I figured a good rifle and 190gr. bullets might get that far with a .300 Win. Mag, or even, while it would be pushing the envelope to the max, a .30-06. The .308 does alright to 1000 with the 178 A-max's, so I figured a .300 with 190 SMK's ought to go to 1500 or so. I am not set on dropping prarie dogs at 1500m, but I would like to be able to shoot up to that distance, or at least close to it.

I have been looking at the 5R's in the .300, but wanted to hear other ideas, and find out if anyone is using that rifle to that range or not. I would just buy a .338 Lapua, but the economics of shooting one are pretty severe!

300WM is your only option for that range with factory ammo, that being said it ain't cheap.

Now you do say you have boolets which leads one to believe you reload. If you load your own the world opens up a bit. 30-06 will give you more barrel life than a 300WM and you can drive 210/208's at 2800 which will get you to 1500+.

Cheers,

Doc

You have lots of options. But for the price your taliking about I agree Remington 700 5R in 300 win mag is the best option, this will leave you plenty of cash for glass. However don't rule out 30-06, 300 weatherby, 300 RUM, and the short mags.

However why are you restricting yourself to factory ammo? From you post I assume you handload. Handloads will really open up your choice of cartridges. Also why restrict your bore size to 30 caliber? 30 caliber will reach 1500 meters but there are others that will make it there more efficiently, 7mm, 6.5mm, and 338 all offer a better selection of high ballistic coefficient bullets.

7WS..... ohhh, do I really need to say it?

You want a compelling reason to sway away from .30 cal? compare the BC of your favorite 30cal bullet to lets say a 7mm 180 Berger or JLK VLD.

In case you dont feel like looking up the numbers, here they are

Berger 7mm 180grain VLD, .659 BC
Berger 7mm 168grain VLD, .617 BC

Swampworks 7mm JLK 180grain VLD, .735 BC
Swampworks 7mm JLK 168grain VLD, .690 BC

7WSM is a great round for 1000 plus . I go from 6xc to 1000 then to 338 lapua give a nice overlap

Just an opinion

Bill

Remington 700 5R milspec is the way I would go also on your budget, might have missed it but did you say what you were going to use for glass. 300 win mag is my round of choice, but out to 1500 with factory loads, accurately?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In case you dont feel like looking up the numbers, here they are

Berger 7mm 180grain VLD, .659 BC
Berger 7mm 168grain VLD, .617 BC

Swampworks 7mm JLK 180grain VLD, .735 BC
Swampworks 7mm JLK 168grain VLD, .690 BC </div></div>

Not disagreeing with you that the 7mm has a lot to offer but the hornady .30cal 208gr a-max's have a bc of .648 and cost a whole lot less than the bergers do. I think you could make it to 1,500 with them chambered in the 30-06.

The Rem 700 5R in 300WM is the first thing that comes to mind without going custom. I have been pondering one of these myself.

I think a factory rifle with a Varmint weight barrel, well bedded, and supplied with adequte optics, will suffice, and $2000 may well be far more than what's actually needed. A good barrel in a good foundation, guided reliably, are the key criteria, and this does not necessarily equate to exotic implements.

Well, I think that the .30-'06 will probably work out to around 1200yd, with 168FGMM ammo being produced with 168SMK's and probably good for 1000yd until you reload them with a longer, more-VLD projo. RL-22 and 190's can be crafted to duplicate .300WM performance.

It may well be that shooting beyond 1200yd is going to depend at least in some part on depending upon a projo's transonic/subsonic performance. Some folks write off trajectories once they get down to the transonic, some don't. Mainly, this depends on the bullet, itself; some will, some won't.

Yes, I agree about the shortage of 1500yd shooters, myself being one who doesn't. I don't think the issue beyond 1000yd is going to hinge on the chambering as much as it does on wind and wind compensation skills. Simply put, that's one tough row to hoe.

Rather than depending on brute force to reach the target, I think that marksmanship skill and a deep store of experience are going to become the ultimate determinant factor here. To that end, the magnum chamberings might become counterproductive, with higher ammunition costs and recoil acting to discourage the volume of practice that is essential to the skill and experience. Mindful of this, I am reminded of the prime criterion that governed the design of the .30-'03 (and ultimately, .30-'06) chambering, in that it was considered to possess the highest tolerable degree of recoil for the average American military rifleman.

When biting, consider how much you really want to chew.

Greg

300WM with 208AMAX bullet pushed with H1000. Get them over 2900fps. I shot my 300WM to 1650 yards and it did very well.

If you go with the 700P in .300 WM you can't go wrong.That will leave you enough funds for GOOD glass,bedding and trigger work.

I notice quite a few of the 1000yd. BR guys are still shooting 208-210gr. .308 bullets out of cases with magnum capacity, especially back east. But all the serious/successful BR shooters are using full-custom rifles that weigh right at the 17lb. light gun wt. limit, with an effective brake, or 60+lbs. in the heavy-gun class.

Most of my 1000yd. shooting has been in NRA prone matches, with 14.25lb. rifles chambered in 6Dasher, 6x47L, 6.5x55, and 308. However, when the wind blows out at Byers,Co. or Raton, NM, I'll switch to one of my straight 284 Win. with Berger 180 VLDs. They both weigh 15.25lbs. with 30" heavy Palma bbls.(one Bartlein, one Krieger, both 1:9tw), and can push 180s to a little over 2900fps with RL17, with fine accuracy.

I've never fired a single round out of any 300 mag with 208s or 210s, but am pretty danged sure that either of my 284s w/180s are a whole lot more pleasant to shoot than any factory-built rifle chambered for any of the 300 mags. w/208-210s. A long M700 action will easily accomodate a 284 with 180s seated out long enough to touch the lands.

50 BMG but it gets expensive to feed!