• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors What gun for subs?

treillw

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
I just got an ultra 5 and ultra 9 30 cal. I'd like to get a rifle to load up with subs and play with. Any cool ones out there? A 308 pistol, or similar would also be on the table. I'd like to to be on the lighter weight end of things.

Caliber shouldn't really matter - I should be able to load subs with trailboss powder in most calibers. I was thinking a 308 or even 6.5 would work.

Does anybody put a tactical scope on a sub gun to play with "longer range" shots?

Thanks!

That would work. I've thought about the Ruger American one.

I also thought it would be nice to get it in 308, so if i want to turn up the horse power for hunting, i could.

Got a 300 blackout bolt gun. With 220 grain subs, it is scary quiet and fun. Don’t shoot it nearly as much as I used to but was fun when I did

300 BLK supersonic is good for deer sized game with appropriate bullets of course.

I was thinking elk with the .308.

Does a blackout do anything that a .308 won't? I would think a .308 will do everything a blackout will and then some, with the exception of running in an AR15.

For a dedicated sub rig, a pistol almost seems like the way to go. No need to have a long barrel, if you only need 1100 fps anyway.

Any suggestions for a pistol that shoots like a rifle?

I would definitely go with 300blk. Remington just came out with a pistol bolt gun but the 300blk version is not out yet. I am waiting for that one

I would definitely go with 300blk. Remington just came out with a pistol bolt gun but the 300blk version is not out yet. I am waiting for that one

Why 300 blk over my .308 hand loaded subs?

I will be hand loading for the gun regardless of caliber.

I guess the only benefit would be easier to find factory if you stop reloading

I'm partial to pistols for 300blk.

If you want to shoot subs in a 308 the twist rate will probably be to slow for the velocity you will be going. 300blk. Will have a faster twist to stabilize subsonic becase it was built with that in mind. and in a smaller package

Reactions: treillw
If you want to shoot subs in a 308 the twist rate will probably be to slow for the velocity you will be going. 300blk. Will have a faster twist to stabilize subsonic becase it was built with that in mind. and in a smaller package

Good point

300BLK with the proper twist is what you seek. Q Mini Fix, Q Honey Badger, Sig MCX. All have 1:5 twist and ready to rock.

Fuck trying to make a 308 shoot subs with trail boss. Been down that road and it sucks.

300BLK with the proper twist is what you seek. Q Mini Fix, Q Honey Badger, Sig MCX. All have 1:5 twist and ready to rock.

Fuck trying to make a 308 shoot subs with trail boss. Been down that road and it sucks.

Good point. The guns you mentioned are awesome. I cant justify $3k for a toy rifle though. Is there anything that is cool, but not an arm and a leg?

I just built up a 300blk AR pistol. Went with the minimum barrel length the ultra 9 is rated for. I so far have it running 100% with hand loaded 220gr subs. Gun is fun and pretty quiet but the action noise from the gun is loud but is stupid quiet when I turn the gas block off. Fun gun and have shot whitetail and antelope With subs from a different blackout.

300 blk IMO. Lighter rifle by a little bit potentially. Works with any 5.56 lower. A bolt gun as mentioned would be the quietest but my 8" Seekins w/ Omega can is very quiet with 220 and 190 gr subs.
Availability and cost of brass if you're reloading (which I recommend because sub ammo is > $0.70/rd usually).

Everybody can cuss at me later cause I’m about to use the “R” word. I have a16 inch barrel Rem700 SPS Tactical in 300BO. For what the round is and what he wants to shoot(heavy/slow subs). Find yourself one of these guns and put some lipstick on it. I am more than happy with the one I have sitting in a Magpul hunter stock.
I also have a 10.5 inch SBR that’s shoots good for what it is.
D8B64842-F2A2-4EFD-8F5F-C7838E260649.jpeg
8EC7F587-C6B5-4622-8368-06E80AC03DF5.jpeg

I just built up a 300blk AR pistol. Went with the minimum barrel length the ultra 9 is rated for. I so far have it running 100% with hand loaded 220gr subs. Gun is fun and pretty quiet but the action noise from the gun is loud but is stupid quiet when I turn the gas block off. Fun gun and have shot whitetail and antelope With subs from a different blackout.

So by adjusting the gas block you can stop it from automatically cycling and essentially turn it into a bolt gun? Will it be just as quiet as a bolt gun if it's not cycling?

A member selling a Noveske

For a dedicated sub rig, a pistol almost seems like the way to go. No need to have a long barrel, if you only need 1100 fps anyway.

Any suggestions for a pistol that shoots like a rifle?

Sig MCX Virtus Pistol in .300BLK is the way to go, especially with the folding stock.

I just got an ultra 5 and ultra 9 30 cal. I'd like to get a rifle to load up with subs and play with. Any cool ones out there? A 308 pistol, or similar would also be on the table. I'd like to to be on the lighter weight end of things.

Caliber shouldn't really matter - I should be able to load subs with trailboss powder in most calibers. I was thinking a 308 or even 6.5 would work.

Does anybody put a tactical scope on a sub gun to play with "longer range" shots?

Thanks!

I used to load subs in one of my 308’s. Wasn’t ideal. Definitely wouldn’t want a 308 pistol. Picked up a Ruger American Ranch in 300 BLK for around $350, traded the plastic stock out for a Boyd’s, and it’s been a hoot. Nice looking too, with the forest camo laminate. So much quieter and cleaner and my Ultra 7 isn’t so dirty afterwards. Makes a fine hiking rifle for around here.

I managed to hit a spray paint can at 500 yards across a hillside shooting supers with it (125 TNT), but it wasn’t easy. Took about ten tries. Not easy with a 1-4 LPVO. But for what it is, I like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: stello1001
I like the idea of turning the gas off on an AR.

Does it work well?

Works better with a side charger imo. Remember the gas port pressure impulse is what cams the bolt lugs open and cycles the gun. Now you are relying on the charging handle to extract/eject etc.

It does work if you turn the gas block off and run it like a bolt gun. Ideally a side charger but I ran a standard one like that for awhile. I never had an issue and although I never shot it side by side with a bolt gun I would guess it’s just as quiet or damn close. It’s just not as easy as a bolt gun.

.338 is barely larger. 300gr vs 220gr. I've deliberated over this for a couple of months. If you're going to up-gun and step up to pricey bullets you may as well go to .375 for the 350gr SMK, 400gr sub-expanding, and then you have the option of affordable 270gr Speer soft points. C4D will make a Dillon trim die to convert 308W brass in one pass through the toolhead.

But then I'd need to build a massive Form 1 can, 12" x 2". 10" of barrel and 12" of can, haha
Great points. I’m not very familiar with the .375 but will have to look into it further. I listened to a few podcasts on the 8.6 and saw lone star boars just wreck havoc with it.

I don't even know where you'd find the dies or reamer
Not sure it’s even out there yet. Kevin Brittingham said they’re working pretty closely with Hornady and I believe discreet ballistics.
On another note, you ever mess with a 9x39?

.338 is barely larger. 300gr vs 220gr. I've deliberated over this for a couple of months. If you're going to up-gun and step up to pricey bullets you may as well go to .375 for the 350gr SMK, 400gr sub-expanding, and then you have the option of affordable 270gr Speer soft points. C4D will make a Dillon trim die to convert 308W brass in one pass through the toolhead.

But then I'd need to build a massive Form 1 can, 12" x 2". 10" of barrel and 12" of can, haha

It's CH4D and I wouldn't pay them for jack shit. After what they ran me through, the lies they told and accusations made (accused me of JB welding a goddamn die together, just so they couldn't fix it, instead of providing warranty work they sent me two new dies, at new cost, without my permission and using a CC I gave them for a specific sale over a year ago). I use Whidden now, wish I'd known from the start. Anyway, they can make ANYTHING. Call and ask to speak directly to the die manager, he'll take care of you. Prices were reasonable, on par I suppose, but quality was way, way better.

It's who I go to when I need a custom trim die for a Dillon press. And they make it so it sizes or not and how and what degree it sizes is up to you. OR they can make it so it'll still hold the brass and trim without sizing. Not an easy feat.

Thanks!

I have an Ultra 5 and a 30CB9, the one that came out before the Ultra9. You don't wanna use short barrel .308's with those. Check TBAC's requirements. A short .300BLK is a different story. The Sig folder is the one to go with for pure size, nothing is more compact and remember, .300BLK doesn't lose a lot over rifle length barrels so you get near AK47 performance out of an SBR firing supers PLUS it can fire subs, and do it all accurately suppressed or not. It's really one of the best AR rounds IMO, along with 5.56 and 6.5G. Must have AR chamberings if you will.

.308 ain't the best round to sub, but whatever. Especially in a semi.

This is as short as I can build one using an 8.2" Noveske bbl. and a Maxim or whoever collapsible stock. It uses the Ultra 5 and is only like 3.5" longer because of it. Ultra 5 will actually hush one of these up about as well as some other mfg.'s flagship cans will and the 9"? None better. Or lighter.
IMG_1063.JPG

This one has the 30CB9 right now and that mount is being diverted to another project. 8.5"bbl.
IMG_0906.JPG

I'd consider that Noveske upper were I you. This rifle is complete, 10.5", and it's probably one of the handiest and lightest AR's I've got. Never used it though, it was a collector piece I got for my ex wife. I'll probably shoot it later next year maybe. Or not. I have others. But that upper for $1350 above comes WITH an MRO? Same as the one on the rifle above? Noveske makes a great barrel too and .300BLK is hard to wear out. I'd jump on that for the MRO alone, hell, he's basically asking half price for both items!
IMG_0853.JPG