• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What gun to buy next?

USAF1A8

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2007
Husker Nation
OK I have run into an issue, a while back I realized I stopped buying guns for utilitarian purposes and am now just buying guns because I want to. Interestingly enough I just reurned from 9 months in the sand and need to buy myself a present, just dont know what i want. Heres the collection as it stands, what should I add... I beg for help.

Mossberg 100ATR 30-06
Savage 10fp tactical .308
M44 Nagant
M98 Mauser
Rossi Single Shot .410
Browning Auto 5 12GA
DPMS Lite 15
Ruger 10/22
Remington 870 12GA
Savage 24p 20GA/22LR
Glock 17
S&W 3913
Springfield 1911-A1
Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
Walther P22
Pheonix .25ACP
Colt New Pocket .32 S&W
H&R .22
Century Arms WASR-10
Rohm Arms double derringer 22LR

Some of these i inherited, my grandfather loved to collect Saturday Night Specials, but most i picked up as i decided I had a role for it to fill. I think I have just run out of ideas. HELP

Re: What gun to buy next?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShallowGrave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK I have run into an issue, a while back I realized I stopped buying guns for utilitarian purposes and am now just buying guns because I want to. Interestingly enough I just reurned from 9 months in the sand and need to buy myself a present, just dont know what i want. Heres the collection as it stands, what should I add... I beg for help.

Mossberg 100ATR 30-06
M44 Nagant
M98 Mauser
Rossi Single Shot .410
Browning Auto 5 12GA
DPMS Lite 15
Ruger 10/22
Remington 870 12GA
Savage 24p 20GA/22LR
Glock 17
S&W 3913
Springfield 1911-A1
Walther P22
Pheonix .25ACP
Colt New Pocket .32 S&W
H&R .22
Century Arms WASR-10

Some of these i inherited, my grandfather loved to collect Saturday Night Specials, but most i picked up as i decided I had a role for it to fill. I think I have just run out of ideas. HELP
</div></div>

That's easy. M1 Garand

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jester8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Build yourself a custom bolt gun </div></div>
this sounds good. time to step it up a notch.

Set your standards a bit higher. Custom bolt or gas gun for sure.

I 2nd the Garand! When I saw your list it looked to me to be the "Must Have" item. Nothing says fun like 8 rds 30-06 and PING!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShallowGrave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK I have run into an issue, a while back I realized I stopped buying guns for utilitarian purposes and am now just buying guns because I want to. Interestingly enough I just reurned from 9 months in the sand and need to buy myself a present, just dont know what i want. Heres the collection as it stands, what should I add... I beg for help.

Mossberg 100ATR 30-06
M44 Nagant
M98 Mauser
Rossi Single Shot .410
Browning Auto 5 12GA
DPMS Lite 15
Ruger 10/22
Remington 870 12GA
Savage 24p 20GA/22LR
Glock 17
S&W 3913
Springfield 1911-A1
Walther P22
Pheonix .25ACP
Colt New Pocket .32 S&W
H&R .22
Century Arms WASR-10

</div></div>

If those guns don't make you feel adequate, you need one of these:
penis-pump-main_Full.jpg

Get out and shoot.

Yea.. welcome to the hide... Get u a custom bolt gun... U dont have that and everyone knows how great the GAP Crusader is! That would add to the collection.. But may be done when your heading back to the sand. Mine took a while but man is it worth is... AWESOME!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If those guns don't make you feel adequate, you need one of these:
penis-pump-main_Full.jpg

Get out and shoot. </div></div>

Shank, you should really seek professional help
laugh.gif

A HiPoint arms carbine just like those Planet of the apes guns!

Kidding
laugh.gif

A long range rifle is in order. Also, how about another 1911 or a nice .357 magnum revolver?

Over the past few years, I've been consolidating.

Fewer guns, fewer chamberings; everything zeroed with a sensible stock of ammunition, just biding my time and teaching the lore.

I figure I can only really shoot one gun at any given time, so it's a matter of having the right ones for the right times, and having experienced folks who can handle the others if a compelling need presents itself.

Greg

Don't forget about the Winchester 30-30. In my opinion the best all around rifle for the farm or ranch.

I think it's time you get a custom rifle as well. I'd probably wait for a good 308 to pop up on the WTS forum. That should complement your collection nicely.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Over the past few years, I've been consolidationg.

Fewer guns, fewer chamberings; everything zeroed with a sensible stock of ammunition, just biding my time and teaching the lore.

I figure I can only really shoot one gun at any given time, so it's a matter of having the right ones for the right times, and having experienced folks who can handle the others if a compelling need presents itself.

Greg </div></div>

I came to much the same conclusion as Greg. Why have a dozen different calibers necessitating a dozen different ammunitions. Paired it down to 308, one bolt one gas, a couple of Colt AR's in 223. A few 45 acp Colt 1911's and the M82 for delicate work.

OK the votes have it, as soon as that GODDAMN DTS voucher pays out, Im ordering from CMP!!!

A 1918a3 BAR from Ohio Ordnance. Just don't plan on re-using the brass!!!

100050-022001.jpg

There is a nice remington 700 308 with a kreiger heavy barrel for sale on gunbroker.

I'm running with 12ga, 20ga, .44mag, .30-'06, .280, .260, and .223; plus, of course, .22LR. The 12ga and .280 are considered excess baggage, but I keep them as family heirlooms. The .223's barrel may be headed in the direction of toast.

Naturally, there's a Garand in the mix.

Greg

Biuld a 338 lapua is you have the range to use it , its my favorite round event though I only have 600 yds to shoot
Bill

+1 on a nice rifle with nice glass, I used to have a bunch of guns that I never shot, were not sighted in, just a bunch of off the shelf rifles. I sold all that crap and bought a crusader, I promise you will not regret it. Shoots like a Dream! Now I am in the process of doing that with pistols. --Brandon

I've said for years that I'd much rather have a few really nice pieces that a whole closet full of junk guns only worth a couple of bucks.

If I had the collection you've got, I'd either find a nice custom piece or look into picking up a lathe...once you've got the tools, you can build whatever tickles your fancy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fockell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to have a bunch of guns that I never shot, were not sighted in, just a bunch of off the shelf rifles. I sold all that crap...</div></div>

Dang. That's where I am now. I had quite a few, then inherited all my dads. After nearly two years, I've about got it down to the ones I want to keep and am ready to start buying a few quality pieces to add to the collection. Just getting around to researching a nice mid range hunting rifle, and adding a couple handguns for the wife and I to take the CCW class with and carry. Made my new years resolution to add at least one gun a month till summer.
smirk.gif

A nice gas gun in the either 6.5 creed more or .308 would be my choice. Gap-10 or JP comes to mind. Super accurate and lots of fun.

Second choice would be a really nice long range bolt action .300 win mag. Lots of good builders out there or one of the new AI offerings.

Have fun.

Yes the thread is ancient but I think Greg provided the best advice and it's worth repeating today.

Over the past few years, I've been consolidating.

Greg

Over time, I have refined my original to add:

Buy that Garand, and put every other rifle one owns into a position of secondary preference.

I view cheap, bulk ammunition as an inexpensive stockpile of economical reloading components. In the currently peaceful and relaxed conditions, it could pay to try doing some load development to find a significantly better recipe for those components regarding specific firearms of mine. Following that, the remaining components can be reassembled according to that improved recipe. I have begun this process for Russian-sourced .223 and 7.62x54R spamcan rounds, and I have just acquired a Hornady automated powder dispenser to speed this process.

BTW TulAmmo Boxer primed steelcase ammo has surprised me by being rather effective cases for reloading. Just chamfer the inside of the case mouths and avoid hot loadings. I also wash and rinse the fired cases ASAP after firing, and any tendency toward rust has yet to appear.

I have undergone a lengthy but productive program mounting inexpensive Scout Scopes on three Mosin-Nagant 91/30's; and they could provide a means for moderately accurate, cheap-as-they-come fire support.

Accuracy is moderate to good for a military relic, and sighting and adjusting fire is much easier, which is the primary goal of the project. The secondary goal has been to provide something that requires the least proficiency and survives better in inexperienced hands.

Greg

Last edited:
Perhaps a Marlin (pre Remington) 1895 CB in 45-70.
It's a beautiful rifle, and will kill anything. Has been used for Cape Buffalo!

Fun to shoot, too, if you can stand the pain....

My thoughts mimic Greg's, but mine are .308, 5.56/.223, 7.62x39, 12 ga, .45acp, 9mm, and .22lr. I'm slowly thining the random other things short of a few hunting items.

Garand. Nice custom bolt gun. You don't need one or the other, you need both.

The new rem. 700 #84166 long range in 30-06 with a TPS.20 moa. base and rings. with a good scope on it. economical long range stick !!! every body needs one,including me.