• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What gunsmith for a barrel chamber / thread?

Mr_Happyface

Huge Dork
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2006
About to order the second barrel for my AWSM from Bartlein.

I'm sure the lead time will be insane but I'm probably just going to have it sent straight to a gunsmith when complete for threading and chambering.

I had a well-known shop chamber my last one and I was plenty happy with it, but this was many years ago but I don't really follow this stuff anymore so I'm not sure of what the current reputations are.

Basically my question is; what are my best options to get a barrel chambered, threaded (muzzle too), and coated?

I don't want to ship the rifle. Have my own barrel vise and wrench so I'll handle that part myself.

Thanks for the help!

Manzella Precision has spun me up a ton of barrels. The machining it second to none. He's an ai wizard, as he was the guy who brought in house chambering to wintac/ai.

I just had Shawn at Triggered Precision Machine thread and chamber a barrel for me and it turned out great!

Here is a example of the results with factory ammo:

Attachments

• 20230926_131138.jpg
    20230926_131138.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Tooley

If AI trusted him for chambering Barts for them I’m not sure what better rec there is

This would be a good choice for the platform.

I get my work done at TS Customs, he does excellent work and has really fast turn around times (like a couple of weeks). However, not sure if he does prefits for AWSM rifles, so you would have to check with him on that.

Go to shops in my area are Preece Precision and Central Utah Precision Rifle. Local smiths are nice to work with, honestly. If something is off, you can just drive over and get it fixed. Sending my GAP rifle back and forth was a hassle, no matter how easy they tried to make it (props to them, they paid shipping, had labels to me within the workday every time I've needed something adjusted). With the local guys, I could potentially drive over, drop it off, eat lunch at a sit down place and the job is done when I get back.

Dave Tooley does some really nice work. All my AI barrels are done by him. He also did my proof barrel for my hunting rifle. They all shoot extremely well.
My next choice would be LRI

Reactions: Nik H