• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What happened here?

Bryan27

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2007
Tennessee
The neck shot thread reminded me of a deer my cousin shot one time that still baffles both of us and wanted to run it by yall and get some opinions as to what happened. A few years ago I went deer hunting with my cousin. We decided that we were going to hunt together and that he would take the first shot. Shortly into the hunt a few doe step out, he chooses one and decides to take a neck shot on her....80-100 yard layup shot. Well, his shot placement wasn't perfect and the doe didn't even react as though she'd been shot. I thought he missed, he wasn't so sure so we went and checked it out. There was a little bit of hair that had been cut so we walked in the direction that she went and within 100 yards we could see her stone dead. When we got to the doe we were looking at her neck where the bullet hit and it was little more than a scratch in my opinion, no penetration to be sure as the bullet grazed her across the front of the neck leaving about a 2-3 inch mark that barely broke skin, no enterance or exit. There was almost no blood either. But, the fact remains that there she was, very much dead and a short distance from where she was shot. After skinning her there was no tissue damage other than where the bullet grazed her neck, I was sure we were going to find a wound channel where the bullet may have fragmented into the neck, but there was nothing. What the heck happened here?

Re: What happened here?

Your cousin missed the neck. It went in one ear and out the other. The scratch you found was probably the result of her scraping against something.

Assuming your necropsy was accurate the only thing I can think of is the bullet hit an object like a limb in front of the deer and fragged the bullet, one piece leaving the scrape you found and another leaving a wound you didn't notice like entering the ear, as well as the above mentioned heart attack.

As far as a complete bullet entering one ear and exiting the other then the deer running 100 yards, I just don't think so unless you were shooting sewing needles.

ive seen a few bullets entering one ear and exiting the other its like turning off a light switch and you can tell the exit side fo sho

Probably not a CNS shot. More than likely, severed a major vessel caused massive bleeding that remained within the animal.

Surely a head scratcher, but possibly explained by fragmentation or hydrostatic shock injuring the carotid arteries.

I have seen deer die from the craziest hits and from hits that you couldn't see at all. From a broadhead nick to the lower leg to a single buckshot that went up the nostril. Hunt long enough and you will see wierd stuff.

I have personally witnessed a deer slaying where the bullet entered the left ear and exited the right corner of the mouth very little blood at first glance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaLon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to a single buckshot that went up the nostril.</div></div>

Yup, bullet fragment up the nostril with no exit could explain this. Many times an animal with brain trauma will show no immediate reaction and continue on 'delivering the mail'. I'm not talking about a solid hit with brain chunks and bone vaporized but more of the 'ice pick in the ear' kind of wound.

The deer died out of respect!
Guther

bullet shock wave produced when the tissue was hit disrupted or broke the spinal cord, not the vertebrae.

One time I took a buddy deer hunting and he saw a pretty nice buck, up close and fairly early the first morning. He shot, I heard it and called him. He said that the deer was down. When I got down from my stand and went to him, he had already found the deer. I didnt see an obvious entrance or exit wound, so I asked him where he was aiming. He hadnt deer hunted much before then and said that he threw his rifle up like he was shooting a duck and shot. The only mark we could find on the deer was a skinned mark between his antlers. No entrance or exit wound found, even while gutting. To this day, still the most puzzling deer kill I have ever seen. Like stated above, if you hunt long enough, you will see some wierd shit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One time I took a buddy deer hunting and he saw a pretty nice buck, up close and fairly early the first morning. He shot, I heard it and called him. He said that the deer was down. When I got down from my stand and went to him, he had already found the deer. I didnt see an obvious entrance or exit wound, so I asked him where he was aiming. He hadnt deer hunted much before then and said that he threw his rifle up like he was shooting a duck and shot. The only mark we could find on the deer was a skinned mark between his antlers. No entrance or exit wound found, even while gutting. To this day, still the most puzzling deer kill I have ever seen. Like stated above, if you hunt long enough, you will see some wierd shit. </div></div>
So your saying it died from shock?
Like a heart attack? It got so scared it died?

Friend of mine shot a buck when it was running and grazed it back. There was no blood, just a small notch in the skin but it dropped like a rock. It first I figured it was just stunned or something but it DRT. Somehow the shock of the bullet must have damaged the spinal cord or nervous system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forest12</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One time I took a buddy deer hunting and he saw a pretty nice buck, up close and fairly early the first morning. He shot, I heard it and called him. He said that the deer was down. When I got down from my stand and went to him, he had already found the deer. I didnt see an obvious entrance or exit wound, so I asked him where he was aiming. He hadnt deer hunted much before then and said that he threw his rifle up like he was shooting a duck and shot. The only mark we could find on the deer was a skinned mark between his antlers. No entrance or exit wound found, even while gutting. To this day, still the most puzzling deer kill I have ever seen. Like stated above, if you hunt long enough, you will see some wierd shit. </div></div>
So your saying it died from shock?
Like a heart attack? It got so scared it died? </div></div>

Dont know what exactly caused it to die. All I do know is that there were no holes in the deer, he shot once and it dropped. Only a grazed mark between its antler bases.

the first thing I thought of when I read it was Heart Attack. I have seen people shoot into a field and miss and the deer don't react at all and then I have seen a clear miss and the deer jump and take off running. It is all a mystery sometimes.

I think Chuck Norris had to have something to do with these kills with no bullet holes. Maybe Chuck was in the woods and as the deer run off from a bad shot he round house kick him. HAHA

But yes weird sh@% happens when hunting!!

I guess that mark in between the antler bases could have been from heel of Chuck Norris' boot, never thought about that. Makes sense, I guess.

I have seen deer run off, go head first in to a three and break there back,

so at a first and second glance they are unharmed by the shot and without visable damage to the skin.

However wierd stuff happens.

Best regards Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swedish guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen deer run off, go head first in to a three and break there back,

so at a first and second glance they are unharmed by the shot and without visable damage to the skin.

However wierd stuff happens.

Best regards Chris </div></div>

Now that you mention it, that does sound like the most likely answer.....especially since where we found her was just a couple feet on the other side of an old wire fence. Clotheslined herself and broken neck maybe?

You could have broke the bones in the neck from that hit and stopped her from being able to breathe. imagine being punched in the throat

Nope, it doesnt take much to break the bones in your throat, and i guarantee that if you got punched in the throat as hard as any bullet would hit even if it nicked you then you would not be able to breath now try moving 100yds without breathing...DEATH

Bryan it is possible that she clotheslined herself breaking her neck as I have seen it happen to deer myself. Have also seen animals (different types) run into tree's and kill themselves or knock themselves out or senseless. Also weird shit does happen no doubt about it main thing is you got good meat in the freezer
smile.gif

Shockwave produced by almost any centerfire cartridge at that range would easily crush bones and cartilage in the throat or upper trachea. Any lack of oxygen kills the animal. I have also seen a full grown moose run headlong into a simple 4 foot sheep wire fence break its neck and die. Interesting enough you call game and fish and tell them a moose dies in your yard out of season and they do nothing. you call and tell them you shot it and you go to jail! Weird shit happens everyday.

That is just plain bizarre.

Ever since I was a kid when my dad and I would take to the dirty job of cleaning animals, I was always youthfully fascinated with the possibility of the reanimation of the animal with the sensation of the first incision. Youthful innocence, silliness, call it what you will. Even at my age though, had I been in your situation, the fear of reanimation after incision would have been legitimate and plausible.

Friggin' weird. Kinda took me back to that kiddo mindset for a second.

Great story.

As for an explanation...no clue.