• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What happened to the art of the "Hustle?"

A&8's

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Has society lost the desire to work for nice things, or just ‘things’ in general? I know the answer to that, which is “Yes.” More so recently with the current political admin. mindset of handouts. More times than not anymore, I feel like I’m turning into my Grandpa when I say, “These kids today will be the demise of this country.” Hopefully I’m wrong, like my Grandpa was. But, damn. The laziness! My entire working life, in conjunction with my "real job", I've always had a 'side hustle' or 2. Yeah, a lot of times I hustled so much, I was a walking zombie and didn’t know if I was coming or going. But I always seen the light at the end of the tunnel and went to get it. Not wait for them to install a light at MY end of the tunnel.

I remember as a young kid, my Dad was always working on people’s TV's, CB's, H.A.M. radios after he would come home from work. Dad being a truck driver (back then, they worked 70hrs in an 8-day period and after driving for 10hrs, they had to "rest" for 8hrs). When he would come home for his 8hr "Rest", he'd be working on other people’s stuff. Seeing that, instilled the "hustle" in me, I guess,

After I went thru my divorce 21years ago, I needed to pay her a shit ton of money and maintain her ins for a few years. Well, there was too much month at the end of the money. So, I used a skill I learned years before and started a small welding shop in my garage making cargo carriers for people's SUV's, motorcycle wheel chocks, general repair, etc. All cash. What the gummet (and ex) don't know, won't hurt them.

When my kids where infants and mama being off work, I needed money for formula, diapers, etc. There was a need in a neighboring city for security camera/alarm installation. Half a dozen friend’s installations later for free or minimal labor and word of mouth references, I had installs 6 days a week after I got off my real job. Those in turn, turned into installing in the wall surround sound for audio/visual. Something, at the time, in my area, was only something the "Rich People" had. All the while, spending a few hours before work (I worked midnights at the time) being the “Shop Bitch” at the only local gunsmith. Knowing that it would pay off later as another side hustle.

Years later when I purchased my current farm, I was nearly tapped out in monthly expenses, but I needed a new barn. Being raised around horses, I went to the local horse auction and bought a handful of "green" young horses for next to nothing. Every night after work, I'd spend 30-45mins working with each. After putting 90 days on each so they'd ride out nicely, I sold them for 8-10 times what I paid. Come that fall, I had enough cash to build a new barn.

When my oldest son was going thru his divorce a few years ago, he was in need for cash for attny fees, etc. He asked for advice. My advice was to hustle for it. I suggested he buy $100 worth of car detailing supplies and detail a few friends/family members vehicles to 'get the word out.' After a few cars, he had customers calling him. He'd go to their work (he worked midnight shift) at 9am, pick their car up, go home, detail it and return it before they got off work. A few hours of work, minimal amount in supplies and all cash in hand that his ex didn't know about.

It just kills me when I see/hear people say, “Whoa is me, I don’t have ______, because I can’t afford it.” You CAN have it, you just have to want it bad enough to hustle your little ass off to get it.

OK, enough of my rant. Carry-on.

True. But he was referring to the 60's and 70's kids.
    Yeah... they became adults, where they could do real damage... and they did. Just as your grandfather knew they would. Who do you think is to blame for all this woke nonsense? Kids? I think not.

Imagine when this generation of kids is 60yrs old. They'll have spent most of their lives ruining everything they touch.

Imagine when this generation of kids is 60yrs old. They'll have spent most of their lives ruining everything they touch.
    By then we’ll be picking through the rubble and remains of western civilization lol.

I hear you loud and clear it drives me insane. I grew up in a farming community and whether it was detasseling corn in the mornings or working on a landscaping crew in the afternoon I had piles of cash as a kid growing up. I remember this today like it was yesterday the summer b/f I started 6th grade year dad putting a Wants vs Needs chart in front of me on a legal pad. I'd always done our lawn and chores around the house, but ti was time to head out and find other work for things I wanted. Dad said 'I'll take care of the stuff on the right(needs), you take care of the stuff on the left(wants)'. And that was it....went to work at sunrise detasseling corn and mowed grass in the afternoons. Before I knew it my piggy bank exploded....and the rest is history as I put that same work ethic into all life's pursuits.

By then we’ll be picking through the rubble and remains of western civilization lol.
    That's their goal. Everyone seems content to let them do it too.

Yesterday I went to have a routine medical exam taken.

Questions on the form:
    Were you born male or female?

Are you still male or female? (did I have a "sex change" operation?)

Which do you identify as? (followed by a list of mentally ill bullshit)

Then the doc starts asking me questions about mental health and domestic violence... to make sure they can strip me of my rights if I answer incorrectly no doubt. I had no hesitation to show visible disgust when confronted with this ridiculous trash. Finally I had to tell them, "take my weight, take my blood pressure, give me the piss cup and draw my blood... or I'm walking out of here right now."

Yet they probably thought it was me that was in the wrong for being upset at the idiocy of it all. The whole of society is so mentally ill, you can't even participate in normal things without being forced to deal with the mental illness. A right and just person can not go anywhere and do anything without running into this woke bullshit. So is it really a big surprise that all these mentally ill people think they should have everything taken from someone else and given to them?

Last edited:
    I think the other issue is vilifying work

The same idiots who do the FIRE thing, they work a high paying job while living like a bum, so they can save up to “retire” early and continue their bum lifestyle but without having to go to work, they don’t like it when you say that’s a ton of work to live like a welfair person 😂

Other one that chaps my ass, “I work to live, I don’t live to work”
    Uhhh what? I love my job, I am spending money right now to get the quals to get a side hustle in a related but slightly different genera, not so much for the extra cash I’ll make, but to round myself out better in my craft, and what is a man but his craft, that’s what he’ll be most rembered by, what he spends most of his time doing and [hopefully] perfecting, how sad it must be to not only lack a deep pride for your work, but also resent it, reminds me a little of this

Last edited:
    Reactions: deersniper
    While I kind of agree with the sentiment I think there is more to it. For example I personally never expect anyone to give me anything. Just naturally I have always had a drive to succeed at whatever I touch whether it was sports or whatever. That said my attitude has changed to some degree. When I was in college I had more hustle than most and it showed in numerous levels. That said when I graduated it was right into a post 9-11 world. I spent a year sending out 1000s of resumes per month. Finally I landed a low level job (after about a year). I was picked out of over 1,400 applicants for the position I went for. I excelled at that job but I got corporate'd quite bad. It really never got that much better to be honest. I can go on about numerous things that demonstrate why so many people (in society in general) have become demoralized.

In one example I worked for a very large bank and in one calendar year I brought in over $750 million dollars in new business. I got paid zero and passed over with the 'keep trying son, one day...' only to find out that I had the wrong alumni association to succeed in that company.

Basically put there is still a whole lot of hustle and people willing to hustle but that said there is plenty that is screwed up in the world to the point where I personally place value in other places. I can give tons of examples of how my hustle never really paid off and only wound up with more trouble than it was worth.

I don't know but I guess I just never got in the right place to reward my hustle. As a result my attitude about 'hustle' has changed significantly.

I ran a sideline electrical business the biggest part of my adult life. It paid for 2 college educations, some guns, several nice hunting trips, some nice jewelry for the Wife and lots of other stuff. My "real" job gave me a nice retirement.

6,000 RPM on the engine doesn't mean anything if you're in neutral.
    True. There is still a whole lot of stuff I am figuring out I guess. All I know is I made a lot of real money for a lot of other people. My days of hustling for free are over.

The same idiots who do the FIRE thing, they work a high paying job while living like a bum, so they can save up to “retire” early and continue their bum lifestyle but without having to go to work, they don’t like it when you say that’s a ton of work to live like a welfair person.
    You almost sound like a jealous little bitch. Who says you have to live like welfare because you FIREd? If somebody has earned the money to get off the merry go round.. more power to them.

Has society lost the desire to work for nice things, or just ‘things’ in general? I know the answer to that, which is “Yes.” More so recently with the current political admin. mindset of handouts. More times than not anymore, I feel like I’m turning into my Grandpa when I say, “These kids today will be the demise of this country.” Hopefully I’m wrong, like my Grandpa was. But, damn. The laziness! My entire working life, in conjunction with my "real job", I've always had a 'side hustle' or 2. Yeah, a lot of times I hustled so much, I was a walking zombie and didn’t know if I was coming or going. But I always seen the light at the end of the tunnel and went to get it. Not wait for them to install a light at MY end of the tunnel.

I remember as a young kid, my Dad was always working on people’s TV's, CB's, H.A.M. radios after he would come home from work. Dad being a truck driver (back then, they worked 70hrs in an 8-day period and after driving for 10hrs, they had to "rest" for 8hrs). When he would come home for his 8hr "Rest", he'd be working on other people’s stuff. Seeing that, instilled the "hustle" in me, I guess,

After I went thru my divorce 21years ago, I needed to pay her a shit ton of money and maintain her ins for a few years. Well, there was too much month at the end of the money. So, I used a skill I learned years before and started a small welding shop in my garage making cargo carriers for people's SUV's, motorcycle wheel chocks, general repair, etc. All cash. What the gummet (and ex) don't know, won't hurt them.

When my kids where infants and mama being off work, I needed money for formula, diapers, etc. There was a need in a neighboring city for security camera/alarm installation. Half a dozen friend’s installations later for free or minimal labor and word of mouth references, I had installs 6 days a week after I got off my real job. Those in turn, turned into installing in the wall surround sound for audio/visual. Something, at the time, in my area, was only something the "Rich People" had. All the while, spending a few hours before work (I worked midnights at the time) being the “Shop Bitch” at the only local gunsmith. Knowing that it would pay off later as another side hustle.

Years later when I purchased my current farm, I was nearly tapped out in monthly expenses, but I needed a new barn. Being raised around horses, I went to the local horse auction and bought a handful of "green" young horses for next to nothing. Every night after work, I'd spend 30-45mins working with each. After putting 90 days on each so they'd ride out nicely, I sold them for 8-10 times what I paid. Come that fall, I had enough cash to build a new barn.

When my oldest son was going thru his divorce a few years ago, he was in need for cash for attny fees, etc. He asked for advice. My advice was to hustle for it. I suggested he buy $100 worth of car detailing supplies and detail a few friends/family members vehicles to 'get the word out.' After a few cars, he had customers calling him. He'd go to their work (he worked midnight shift) at 9am, pick their car up, go home, detail it and return it before they got off work. A few hours of work, minimal amount in supplies and all cash in hand that his ex didn't know about.

It just kills me when I see/hear people say, “Whoa is me, I don’t have ______, because I can’t afford it.” You CAN have it, you just have to want it bad enough to hustle your little ass off to get it.

OK, enough of my rant. Carry-on.
    Amen, brother.

I knocked up a girl I barely knew at 21 years old. I was living in a 1997 Chevy Cavalier at the time without a pot to piss in. I found a warehouse job that started at 4am, went to community college afterwards and didn't get home until 10:30pm. Then I went to a state school and paid as I went without taking out any loans.. while still maintaining that full time job. I wound up completing a bachelors degree in three years by taking summer/winter classes while working full time and picking up odd jobs along the way. I never took any handouts and supported myself, my child and his mother on Long Island, NY... which is one of the most expensive parts of the country. The only help I accepted was discounted rent from her grandmother.

I have my own business now, I married that wonderful woman and we have four kids together. Life is good.

When I hear people bitch about student loans, welfare benefits and how unfair life is it makes me so mad my eye twitches. This is the greatest country in the world, and as far as I'm concerned, if you can't thrive here you just suck at life.

Thanks for setting me up for my own rant. This is actually kind of therapeutic with all the crazy nonsense going on in the world today.

I hear you loud and clear it drives me insane. I grew up in a farming community and whether it was detasseling corn in the mornings or working on a landscaping crew in the afternoon I had piles of cash as a kid growing up. I remember this today like it was yesterday the summer b/f I started 6th grade year dad putting a Wants vs Needs chart in front of me on a legal pad. I'd always done our lawn and chores around the house, but ti was time to head out and find other work for things I wanted. Dad said 'I'll take care of the stuff on the right(needs), you take care of the stuff on the left(wants)'. And that was it....went to work at sunrise detasseling corn and mowed grass in the afternoons. Before I knew it my piggy bank exploded....and the rest is history as I put that same work ethic into all life's pursuits.
    You fuggin stud.
    I love hearing this.

I make enough working my normal job that I'd rather put my efforts into my kids and community on my time not working.

I got off work early yesterday, so I took the 4 wheeler to the range and setup for the youth hunters match Saturday. I'll spend Saturday being an RO and then putting all the targets away.
    I could have called and found a side job (electrician, always get called) but I just don't want to work when I'm not at work.

If we're planning something or money is tight because of an emergency, I do take the side jobs and drum up the extra cash. It hasn't been needed in over 10 years now though. I worked 7 days a week, 10+ hr days on a month on, week off schedule for 5 years. Really burned me out on work, so my 4 10's and 3 off every week is more than enough now.

Reactions: jrassy and thejeep
    When did it become that you're not a hard worker unless you do nothing but work?

And @alamo5000, I may not quite have your pedigree but I know what you mean. Busted my ass to be a good worker just to watch people who did nothing get the same reward. Saw people abuse seniority to avoid doing real work. Watched the ass kissers get protected from their otherwise shitty behavior. The corporate world can be really shit sometimes.

You fuggin stud.
    I love hearing this.
    My meager entry into the examples of others here who have done more, harder and longer. Was more just a 'heck yea' to the OP that resonated with me. It's summer time and I see a ton of kids doing nothing right now......that was not me as a kid I was humpin and bumpin baby!

Dude. On a different note.....hope you can get out to shoot with us you name the day we had our easiest conditions yet today winds were nil. Hope we can go soon man. Mikey was unconscious with the new 6br

Last edited:
    If you have an actually valuable skill... then you can just as readily press it into service for yourself as you could for someone else. Yet not everyone is self motivated.
    This is true. Bringing it back around to a 'general' sense as in society wide I think a disproportionate amount of people are essentially discouraged. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of lazy asses out there. No question about that. That said a whole lot of people are choosing to not literally kill themselves over money. They found their lot in life whether it was their own making or something much bigger than themselves and just make due.

My first (actual) boss was the CFO of a huge company. He died at just over 50 years old. Was he successful? Money wise he wrote a check for about $2m bucks for a house. I watched him do it. On the flip side he had to take a handful of anxiety and other medication pretty much every single day. He was rich but miserable.

I think a lot of people are taking the approach of 'screw that' and 'if it so be'. It may sound pessimistic but in reality to me it's not, at least not entirely. I look around and I see tons of really talented people, but they are not in a position or putting themselves in a position to use those talents. If they go too long like that pretty soon the hill out of that is so much steeper the longer they wait.

In general though I see this situation as a self licking lollipop. It keeps on going around in circles in this weird spiral. Personally I don't attribute it to just plain laziness at all. That has a role, sure, but I think the overall problem is much more complex but it certainly isn't getting any better.

If you have an actually valuable skill... then you can just as readily press it into service for yourself as you could for someone else. Yet not everyone is self motivated.
    I can say this about myself though...and it's not always true but it is to a degree most of the time.

I had a bunch of student loans. I had them 100% paid off for the most part within 5 years of graduating college. I busted my ass to be debt free.

I do not (at present) have a kick ass job but it's very fun and pleasant for the most part. That said last year (2020) I made almost double my annual income (from working) trading stocks. It wasn't exactly double but close. IE Take my annual take home from the job, times that by two and then add in my paycheck... I'm not just sitting around doing nothing but I still think the world is effed up in a whole lot of ways.

Reactions: jrassy
    Young folks these days, and most of their parents, are too many generations removed from knowing genuine struggle and hard times. My parents were children of the Depression and went through WWII. And their parents before them even tougher times. I grew up poor but didn't realize it at the time but as I got older wanted a better life than my parents had and worked hard to have it. Today it's pretty easy to just float through life and take it as it comes.

My meager entry into the examples of others here who have done more, harder and longer. Was more just a 'heck yea' to the OP that resonated with me. It's summer time and I see a ton of kids doing nothing right now......that was not me as a kid I was humpin and bumpin baby!

Dude. On a different note.....hope you can get out to shoot with us you name the day we had our easiest conditions yet today winds were nil. Hope we can go soon man. Mikey was unconscious with the new 6br
    Too fun, and I will.
    Anytime you want to do pistol come on up, range is hot

Reactions: atepointer
    Every generation has had it easier than before... That's why it's almost funny that these BLM people are screaming about systemic racism, running around with their iphones and bling-bling wheels on their cars.
    Side note, I don't think I've every NOT had a job since I was about 10 years old.. and that didn't include getting up a 5am each morning to milk the cows and feed the animals before school. Worked straight through college and never stopped.

I liked it. Even though it didn't really have any words, it had a great beat and it was easy to dance to.

• Haha
    Reactions: acudaowner
    Young folks these days, and most of their parents, are too many generations removed from knowing genuine struggle and hard times. My parents were children of the Depression and went through WWII. And their parents before them even tougher times. I grew up poor but didn't realize it at the time but as I got older wanted a better life than my parents had and worked hard to have it. Today it's pretty easy to just float through life and take it as it comes.
    This^^^

Have you ever busted your ass in the hot sun from sunrise to sunset? Taking off your boots and slamming an ice cold glass of water afterwards is like the first time laying with a woman. That kind of satisfaction is only made possible by the hard work that precedes it.

Without hard work and discomfort, true happiness cannot exist. We're handing out depression meds like skittles when the real answer to our problems is a comfortable pair of work boots.

Without hard work and discomfort, true happiness cannot exist. We're handing out depression meds like skittles when the real answer to our problems is a comfortable pair of work boots.
    You ever want to see someone TRULY work hard? ... I mean work so hard it makes your story seem tame?

Try getting one of these modern pussies to do anything to better their situation. THEN you'll see work. The hell they raise and the amount of work they do to NOT do work would make a mule blush. They'll never work so hard as they work to rob others of the fruits of someone else's labor.

This^^^

Have you ever busted your ass in the hot sun from sunrise to sunset? Taking off your boots and slamming an ice cold glass of water afterwards is like the first time laying with a woman. That kind of satisfaction is only made possible by the hard work that precedes it.

Truer words have not been spoken. Damn this is a fantastic post.

Reactions: oneshot86
    You ever want to see someone TRULY work hard? ... I mean work so hard it makes your story seem tame?

Try getting one of these modern pussies to do anything to better their situation. THEN you'll see work. The hell they raise and the amount of work they do to NOT do work would make a mule blush. They'll never work so hard as they work to rob others of the fruits of someone else's labor.
    Ahh... the slowest zebras in the herd.

This is the part where I usually go on a rant about the circle of life. Not today though... I have work to do and I pissed away half the morning.

Imagine when this generation of kids is 60yrs old
    I do. I imagine it all the time.

there will be winners and losers. Im raising mine to be winners. I’m also applauding all the idiots who teach their kids “leasing a car is smart, renting a house is smart, money is cheap, live for today”

I still think if I can raise my kids right, they will be filling rent checks from their peers. Even w the CDC trying to kill the rental market, investors still want to own houses.

make a plan. A winning plan. Teach your kids and the neighbor kids.

And if you think the side hustle is dead you haven’t been to Home Depot or Lowe’s, check CL or offer up. All kinds of fellows still doing a side hustle.

maybe you moved and don’t see it? It’s very strong out here in AZ.

I remember my grandmother talking about how all her brothers hunted/fished and all the sisters tended the garden. They didn't do it for sport or fun, they did it because they had to to eat. Today you don't have to work, you'll be taken care of and if you're hungry, you simply hop in your late model car and head to Walmart with your EBT card, or better yet - the drive through food bank.

Not sure if I missed but has anyone said the side hustle is all about relativity.

Look at it from both sides.

hustle 2 Saturday’s = 500$

If you make $1000 a week a side hustle is a big deal

if you make 5000$ a week…”it’s not worth my time”

I’ve had more than a few friends that are normal guys and choose to not “want more”.

I don’t get it but to each their own.

Reactions: jrassy
    What happened?
    Democrats discovered they can buy votes with tax money.

Bum-I don't have anywhere to live.
    Dems-here's some government housing.
    Bum-I don't have any money.
    Dem-here's some welfare
    Bum-I don't have any food.
    Dem-here's some food stamps.

Pain is the catalyst for all change. If there's no negative consequence for bad behavior there's no impetus to change the behavior.
    In psychology it's called operant conditioning,old farmers call it the carrot and the stick.
    Reward the behavior you want.

IMO-This is also why we have so many welfare bums getting killed by police. They've went their whole lives without consequences, then they meet a living breathing symbol of consequences, and don't know how to act.

No pain no gain
    B4BBEFBD-7D5E-4376-8E24-93167B283FC8.jpeg

People turned into a bunch of assholes that expected everything and deserve nothing. A group of undeserving little twats who expect others to make the sacrifices for their lazy attitudes. Parents are to blame, but so is the blatant war on independence. The government is attempting to create modern "serf's" and damnit if it isn't working.

These turds got on the pooter, became whoever they wanted, grabbed as much attention and they could and grew an undeserving ego so fragile they need reassurance from other keyboard commandos to keep it from shattering. Falsely built temples riding waves of intellectual dishonesty and cowardice.

You can look at how a few members of this forum respond to various topics to see exactly what I am talking about. It is sad, but hey, they gotta feel important somehow.

Maybe, just maybe the ship will right itself...but I see nothing that tells me it will. Better to get your "buffer" zone, create the best possible home for your family, and see what happens. I did my time, body failed and I got medically retired...I am as undeserving as the next chode, but I will do my best to instill hard work, a moral compass, and decency in my children if and when I am blessed with them.

A guy can make a pretty good livin just hustling. I was doing construction building spec homes when 2006 happened. Thought I’d be retired by 30 back then. Got hammered on our last home and had to pay on it for 4 years…. Since then, I’ve done just about anything from fighting to making earrings to pay the bills. At this point, I don’t even know what to say to people who ask what I do for a living. So far it’s “try”, “hustle” or “self employed “

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
    There is so much money in this world, that all you have to do is reach out and get some.

I have had plenty of side hustles over the years, and have whittled it down to just wood working at this point. Quality work, and making what a person wants goes a long way and I've had more business than I want for years.

Just being able to do basic shit can make you good money nowadays as the soy boys have no idea how to do basic maintenance and repair stuff.

Reactions: jrassy and JJMoody
    Looking at my ole man, pretty much broke…. Most talented carpenter I’ve ever been around. I’ve seen some of the best from an inspector standpoint, but he truly puts them to shame artistically and mathematically, but chose to only ever be “just a labor contractor” and only in a tough labor market. If talent and hard work always equal success, he’d conquer the industry. Lives “off the grid” but the wrong way… (ya know what I mean…?) don’t be afraid to get out of the classic comfort zone and turn a hand at what God gifted you with. Hustle til you freaking bleed…. It could work you out of a great day-job.

Amen.

But a key to all your hustles was stuff the .gov parasites/welfare parasites couldn’t get their lazy greedy undeserving hands on.

Reactions: hankpac