• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What happened to the equipment forum?

DeeGee

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2009
Ventura County, Ca
The equipment discussion forum (formerly the first forum listed) seems to have disappeared. Is this a temporary glitch? Or is it to be split into multiple different forums? Or am I hallucinating?

Re: What happened to the equipment forum?

Wondering the same thing myself... could not remember the name. Thanks for posting question.

Yea I just noticed that too. I was having trouble getting on here earlier, maybe something happened?

I think there must have been a database problem - the forum is back, with 0 posts.

Something happened, I don't know, I know there was a database issue and when they got it up and running it was gone.

Can't say what happened and the logs aren't really saying.

Glitch in the matrix, tin foil hats ready...

Seriously though, you may want to have someone look at the db version. Sounds like you hit a limit and db corruption occurred similar to what avsforum went through last year...

-pd

Wow, a ton of great data lost forever in the blink of an eye? No backup? Ouch!

This should be a "never again" moment. A major portion of the site's value is the "content".

I never said there wasn't a back up, but at the same time I personally don't care to go through the trouble of putting it all back together because what happens is you lose stuff that happened after...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
This should be a "never again" moment. A major portion of the site's value is the "content".</div></div>

That constantly gets written over and over and over again... the value is NOT the content but the members who bring that content.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That constantly gets written over and over and over again... the value is NOT the content but the members who bring that content.</div></div>

Well, naturally, the members are the wellspring from which the content flows, but value abounds in the archive as well. I'll miss the accumulated wisdom that won't be turning up in my searches anymore, a few years' worth of which will take a few years to replace.

It's like the burning of the Library in Alexandria.
smirk.gif

Actually, there are no archives and I delete 90% of the content every 6 months on here, so you're mistaken on just how far back you can search things. Maintain that many posts on here would take up way too much space... you'd be surprised how much I delete stuff.

Try searching something 7 months back and see what happens, "no records found"

the voices....the voices....(doors music in the background...wafting through the swiss cheese of my mind)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That constantly gets written over and over and over again... the value is NOT the content but the members who bring that content.
</div></div>

As long as there are folks who will take the time to reanswer the same old question for the umpteenth time for the newbie, this will always be true, and will always be one of the key factiors that make this such an outstanding and effective website.

Never kick your newbies, or some day you'll look around and realize you're adrift, staring down the sharks, and all alone...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never kick your newbies, or some day you'll look around and realize you're adrift, staring down the sharks, and all alone... </div></div>

Well said, sometimes it can get a little harsh on them. When they have tried the search prior to question.

Mike

Me thinks if you search this site through google, you can find old the posts in that missing section. I typed this into google: "chest rig" site:snipershide.com I came up with posts that looked like they belonged in the equip. section, but at the top of the page it didnt list the section I was in.