• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What height rings -- 56mm Ojective and 45 MOA base

HiCapMag

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2003
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Pardon me, I know I asked this before, but damn if I can find it...

What size Badger rings (or other brands if that is your experience) do you need with a 56mm objective lens scope and a 45 MOA base in order for the objective to clear the barrel (big fat barrel).

Anyone with actual or even close (40 MOA base, 30 MOA base) experience please share.

Thanks!

Re: What height rings -- 56mm Ojective and 45 MOA base

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiCapMag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pardon me, I know I asked this before, but damn if I can find it...

What size Badger rings (or other brands if that is your experience) do you need with a 56mm objective lens scope and a 45 MOA base in order for the objective to clear the barrel (big fat barrel).

Anyone with actual or even close (40 MOA base, 30 MOA base) experience please share.

Thanks! </div></div>

Honestly, how are we supposed to know with such scant info provided? I'd throw out HIGHS, but that's not going to help you out completely, as we don't know the rifle, the barrel contour, the base height at the front, what scope it is, how thick the bell housing is, the scope's eyerelief along with your stock's LOP, etc...

Best thing to do is get the rail mounted, get the scope and try and get a measurement yourself.

Chris

Fair enough. Let me rephrase....if you have a 45 MOA base, what scope and rings do you have?

A picture would be great.

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiCapMag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fair enough. Let me rephrase....if you have a 45 MOA base, what scope and rings do you have?

A picture would be great.

Thanks. </div></div>

I have a 30 MOA Sako 3 ring mount with a SB PMII 5-25x56 in it. This means absolutely nothing to you, nor does it help in even the slightest way.

It's late, but there really isn't a definitive answer anybody can give you.

You need to take your rifle, mount whatever rail you're going to use onto it, take your scope and try and get a rough estimate of how high those rings need to be to keep the objective housing off of your barrel. Measure from the center of the main tube of the scope while keeping the bell housing off the barrel. Try to orient the scope so that you'll have it properly spaced on the action for normal eye relief. Don't put it too far forward, or too far towards the rear.

Rings manufacturers are now like cigar makers, there is no standard. One man's corona gorda is another man's robusto. Badger's High rings 'might be' 1.000" and Seekins Highs 'might be' .985". One might work, the other won't. The key part is to get that rail mounted and have the scope in hand. If you have 'any set' of rings, you might mount them just to give you an idea of how much higher you need to go. You might also need to get somebody to hold it in place while you measure things.

Good luck, Chris