• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What height rings for AR

gtofan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2004
VA
First AR and has A3 top and I want to keep as low profile as I can with a 44 or possibly 50MM scope. May end up with a fitty so could I use the same rings for both.

If not what is the best option for both? May go with the Bushy 6500 tactical when it comes out but haven't decided on mag yet.

Re: What height rings for AR

I believe you could get away with something like Leupold Mk4 High rings but remember ergonomics (Super High would be ageneral rule of thumb). You may be able to go lower but be sure of your cheek weld and eye alignment. To low can be a bad thing even if the objective does clear.

Rock River Arms makes a "Hi Rise" scope mount for AR's, well made, sturdy and only $49.00
myerfire

Thanks, i'll check em out.

In addition to rings on the high side, you'll likely find you need some forward extension. The one piece mounts like LaRue are well regarded for your probable needs. Do a search, you'll find lots of info.

I have an ARMS #5 mount block and use medium leupold rings on my Colt flattop. I didn't like the high rings. I doubt my setup is any more solid than high rings, but it looks more solid.

Jim

you need extra high, forward offset rings in almost all cases: larue spr, nightforce unimount, etc(1.38" to 1.4" total height). I'm a small guy and still need xtra high, my wife uses xtra high....I don't know anybody who uses lower rings. Its just the way it works with an AR. There will be tons of clearance between the scope and forend regardless of the scope objective size.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gtofan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First AR and has A3 top and I want to keep as low profile as I can with a 44 or possibly 50MM scope. May end up with a fitty so could I use the same rings for both.

If not what is the best option for both? May go with the Bushy 6500 tactical when it comes out but haven't decided on mag yet. </div></div>

I have tried a lot of combinations, and I like the Larue SPR mount best of all. They cost 200 bucks. The Rock River mount is a distant second choice for me, at 40 bucks or so. Regular rings, which do not have a forward pitch, put the eyepiece way too close to my eye on an AR15.

I like 1.2". The USO Posi puts my scope perfectfor my cheekbones.
I've ran LaRUe LT104's (1.5") and LT158's (1.4") on AR15 flattops and they are too high for me. When I get on the gun and check my NPA I always opened my eye to the bottom of the eyepiece.
NF 1.25's are good too.

My opinion may be skewed though. I just now typing this for the first time put 2+2 together for my case.
My neck is jacked up, has been since my last drunk. On Xray it looks like a whiplash case-the spine is straight not curved, so my head is probably tilted a little forward (might explain why my scopes are always to far forward for others to run my rifle as well). Huh, what a moment of self awareness.