What "high end" every day items are worth the cost?

hunter1959

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2020
Rolex Submariner, platinum and gold blueface
AI/AT with S&B 5-25x56
Glock and Smith & Wesson handguns
Weatherby Mark V deluxe 7mm mag
Alden shoes
Hart, Schaffner and Marx suits
Custom designed home
Dewalt power tools
Wolf kitchen appliances
old Herman Survivor boots... bought in '76, still going strong
Kershaw SHUN kitchen knives
old Maytag washers and dryers - long gone in manufactured quality
Acoustics Research original AR-3a high fidelity speakers
Tempurpedic mattresses

things not worth the money in my past:
Range Rovers
Nikon film cameras
Harmon Kardon and/or Marantz stereo systems

Reactions: Ravenworks

krw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2004
Arkansas
I admit, I have a watch fetish. If I were rich I would have a gun safe in my bedroom full of great watchs. My first decision of the day would be which watch to wear that day. I do love watch’s!!

Reactions: mcameron and Nik H

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Filson wool bibs, pants and coats....

1595243445016.png

1595243510856.png

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Rolex Submariner, platinum and gold blueface
    AI/AT with S&B 5-25x56
    Glock and Smith & Wesson handguns
    Weatherby Mark V deluxe 7mm mag
    Alden shoes
    Hart, Schaffner and Marx suits
    Custom designed home
    Dewalt power tools
    Wolf kitchen appliances
    old Herman Survivor boots... bought in '76, still going strong
    Kershaw SHUN kitchen knives
    old Maytag washers and dryers - long gone in manufactured quality
    Acoustics Research original AR-3a high fidelity speakers
    Tempurpedic mattresses

things not worth the money in my past:
    Range Rovers
    Nikon film cameras
    Harmon Kardon and/or Marantz stereo systems

Alden Shoe used to make my winter work boots. Good leather.

Ive been to their factory - great place, nice to see a manufacturer in America turning out quality products.

Recent news report though I will be surprised if they continue as they have. Seems President/principle let his girlfriend loot the place - kind of weird it hasnt been more in local news as company is local and the girlfriend was a local "celebrity".

19Scout77

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jun 9, 2007
    GA
    Penn International Reels
    Callebaut Chocolate
    Giraud Trimmer
    Schmidt Bender Scopes

E. Bryant

STABILITRAK ACTIVE
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Oct 25, 2010
    MI
    Things that work for me:

1) Shoes and boots that fit and last. Red Wing has been my go-to for boots for the last 25 years, although I picked up a pair of Garmonts at the local outdoors store a couple years ago and they are nice. I had a pair of Oboz hiking boots and they didn't fit well, but they were extremely durable and I'd recommend them for those that have properly-shaped feet (mine most certainly are not). For cycling, Sidi makes shoes that fit and last. I don't know how long my current pairs will hold up, but my previous pair went 21 years.

2) Outdoor clothes. Michigan has shit weather for half the year; life is easier with a good rain jacket, gloves, and parka. Outdoor Research stuff works for me (this is one of those areas where I want stuff that's good, but not so expensive that I'm gonna cry if I end up damaging or destroying a piece of gear due to unavoidable circumstances).

3) A good knife. I use a blade every single day; a man can be a god among women and children simply by wielding the ability to open boxes and packaging. Benchmade works for me.

4) Good tires in good condition. There hasn't been made yet a car or truck that will outperform a crappy set of tires. My van wears a set of BFG A/Ts, I've got Michelin LTX AT2s on the big ugly truck, and my car has a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. Obviously, the definition of "good" is going to vary based upon local conditions, but regardless of the brand and model, they had better be in good condition.

5) AGM batteries. Anything with an engine is useless if it doesn't start. The Sears Diehard Platinum batteries in my tractor and pickup are still going strong after 6.5 years of general abuse (both vehicles occasionally sit for long periods and then are asked to start in shitty conditions). Since these are no longer available for obvious reasons, I'll be switching over to NorthStar based upon the experience of a business partner in one of his ventures.

6) Woolrich pants and shorts are inexpensive, ugly, and last forever. About 10 years ago, some shady internet vendor (Botach?) was blowing out a bunch of Woolrich stuff for $10-15/pair, and so I bought maybe 10-12 pairs in various styles and colors. Wore out the khakis with 5-6 years of daily use; the cargo pants and shorts are still going much to my wife's dismay (remember, they're ugly).

7) Lenovo Thinkpad laptops are something I use every day for my business, and they work despite getting a bit of abuse. I've also had good experiences with Dell Precision stuff. Now that computers aren't advancing quite so fast, I value durability and serviceability.

BoilerUP

Old Salt
    Minuteman
    Jan 16, 2011
    Floyd Co, IN
    Car/truck and especially RV tires
    Mattress
    Kitchen knives & cookware
    Boots and shoes
    Home insulation
    Bourbon and scotch

EddieNFL

SMSgt
    Minuteman
    Jan 11, 2006
    Florida
    DO NOT...

- buy clothes (or pretty much anything) from Walmart
    - go for the $49.95 brake job (or pretty much anything else) at Pep Boys (substitute Meineke, Goodyear, Firestone, etc)
    - buy any product advertised as "just as good as..."

The cheapest is seldom the least expensive.

supercorndogs

Ham Fisted Gorilla
    Minuteman
    Feb 17, 2014
    Colorado
    Genuine Dickies work pants and shorts, not that Wal-Mart spec Bullshit.

Wait, high end, 🤔 Never mind. I end up middle of the road on most things. I hate cheap cookware, knives, cloths, and belts. There are some cheap tools that are just as good, impact sockets for instance. Or that set of wrenches that gets cut up or bent and twisted to reach some weird bolt. I have a couple of U.S General impacts that will give the high end impacts a run for their money too. Even after hammering on them for almost a decade working as a diesel tech.

Nik H

Constantly Learning
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2014
    Small town New England
    I have said it here many times that I am not rich enough to buy cheap equipment so I don't. There are instances where the best does not cost the most or is even expensive but those are few and far between. Some of my favorites have been

Both of my AI rifles (AT and AXMC)
    Three Larue Rifles/Two KAC rifles
    More HK handguns than I know I have
    My original bought by me Colt Pythons (mid 80s)
    RRS Tripod
    S&B, NF, ZCO, ACOG optics
    Astrophysics Refractor and Televue Eyepieces
    Patek Phillipe, AP and Rolex watches
    All Clad, Le Creuset and Staub Cookware
    Nikon Cameras (My wife)
    Bernina Sewing Machines (My Wife)
    Snap On Tools (My Dads)

I have never been let down by any of these and in the odd circumstance that there was a problem, it was repaired by said company for gratis.

HMRamateur

Sorry
    Minuteman
    Feb 9, 2019
    Anything my feet live in (red wing, Irish setter, lowa)
    Anything leather, belt included (red wing)
    Any tool (Klein, wera)
    I'm in the process of upgrading guns and optics, although the "cheap" stuff I haven't isn't really cheap, it just isn't feature rich and expensive. Still Japanese glass, and my first gun (savage weather warrior) that I bought years ago might be a savage but it's proven itself as a quality tool.
    I spent thousands this year on hiking/camping/hunting gear that can I can fit just in my backpack.

A&8's

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
  • Hand and power tools.
    Lawn equipment (Kubota zero turn and Stihl trimmer and chainsaw)
    Clothes (Duluth firehose pants)
    Boots (Tony Lama western boots and Bellville lace ups)
    Razor (I use a straight razor- this is NOT cheaper, as they are like guns. Buy one, then you buy 12 more because they're neat. Then come the custom made ones. Yeah, lots cheaper to use a safety razor...which I own about 7 of those, too. lol)
    Sunglasses (Maui Jim)
    Pistol (Springfield, Sig or Kimber - depending on for work or play and attire)

I don't buy expensive pocket knives because I lose them too quickly. (Kershaw leek is my mainstay, though.)

PDXGS

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    May 31, 2009
    Northwest Oregon
    I own a crap ton of knives
    From Spartans to Mora.
    One of the few things that have stood the test of time and use and are cheap is a MoraKniv
    Pick one, any one....they're tough, can be sharpened easily and come on full tang versions.

Also on the cheap but worth it list are a standard Weber charcoal grill.
    Rainbow flip flops
    PSA blood test
    colorectal cancer screening test
    Bimonthly maid / cleaning service

On the pricier side but worth the $$ are:
    Abel reels
    Decent compasses
    BMW Rider's Apparel
    Kermit Chairs
    Lelo toys
    Good hour+ Sports massages
    Quality sunscreen
    Quality primary and secondary regulators
    Unopened sodasorb
    A decent therapist who isn't a pussy

Last edited:

The D

Resident capitalist/agorist/voluntaryist
    Minuteman
  • Apr 11, 2020
    I’m a professional mechanic so tools that I use frequently every day absolutely must be high quality, which almost always means high cost. I quickly learned that shitty tools may mean losing money, and I just extrapolated that to everyday items

Anything else I buy doesn’t necessarily need to be the best but I try to get the best I can for the lowest price. This usually means buying slightly used, like my car. I’m in the process of piecing together all of my edc gear which will mean really good items but not necessarily the most expensive

Reactions: 308pirate

jhutch3313

Private
    Minuteman
    Apr 11, 2018
    I have to agree with the guys that say a good knife, and quality firearms.
    I had the same problem buying $80 boots and after having a better made pair mine are on year 2 with little issues.

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    I own a crap ton of knives
    From Spartans to Mora.
    One of the few things that have stood the test of time and use and are cheap is a MoraKniv
    Pick one, any one....they're tough, can be sharpened easily and come on full tang versions.

Also on the cheap but worth it list are a standard Weber charcoal grill.
    Rainbow flip flops
    PSA blood test
    colorectal cancer screening test
    Bimonthly maid / cleaning service

On the pricier side but worth the $$ are:
    Abel reels
    Decent compasses
    BMW Rider's Apparel
    Kermit Chairs
    Lelo toys
    Quality sunscreen
    Quality primary and secondary regulators
    Unopened sodasorb
    A decent therapist who isn't a pussy

Neutragena SPF 100
    image.jpg

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
    Minuteman
  • May 20, 2006
    Winnipeg, Mb.
    25 years ago, I purchased a complete set of Pardigm speakers. I've gone through/upgraded 3 different receivers but still running those same speakers.
    Henckel 4* knives in the kitchen block, still running strong. 30+ years, some of them.
    Still running my grandmother's cast-iron frying pan, and have added to the CI collection.
    Craftsman tools (made in USA) as well as SnapOff (same/same) still going strong.

The point of it though, is buy what you need. IF you're going to need it again later on down the road, then buy 'better'. Unless you're an electronicologist, there's no point in buying an oscilloscope when purchasing replacement batteries. (just because something's expensive, doesn't mean that it's good, needed, or useful)

But whatever field or interest you DO have, then do what you're doing, well. That way, what YOU do will still be around in time to be continuously appreciated. In one manner or another.

Last edited:

Jerry V

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Apr 18, 2020
    McGregor, Texas
    Select premium Silver Tip Badger shaving soap brush. A friend at the gun shows hand turned the Bodark handle and used the best Badger. Use it every day and starts my day off with the satisfaction of a good shave. GTG! Silver Tip Badger holds it shape and feel. Set me back close to $100 but been using it for at least 3 years and still going strong.
    After that pull on a pair of boots that fits, comfortable and protective. Always spend more on boots than you set as budget. Double the budget and your feet will thank you.

mcameron

Two Star General
    Minuteman
  • Nov 17, 2011
    Mrs Cameron got me turned on to massages.....and a good sports massage is an absolute godsend for anyone with chronic pain.

my back has been fucked up for years....i went and found a place where i could get monthly sports massages, and ive been virtually pain free since.

if your therapist looks like a line backer, youve found the right place.

x_789

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Sep 16, 2019
    Its really about investing in what you enjoy. No need to buy a 1k tool to use 1 time if a $50 one will work. Its okay to buy something cheap for 1 use. Its the stuff you use 90% of the time buy quality. Also realize if you don't love something get rid of it and get what you really want. Rarely will settling for less than what you want make you happy. I bought a new truck once had a fortune in it. I didn't like it. I cut my losses after 3 months and went back to what I liked. Life is too short to be unhappy.

Also certain things you should enjoy. If you drink, drink the good stuff. Smoke? Smoke the good stuff. Eat a steak eat the best you can afford. The pleasures in life should be a pleasure not just okay.

If only one thing I would say get a quality foam bed. Sucks to drop a couple K on a new bed. But you would glady drop a quater on the night stand each night if you knew you would wake up rested in the morning. It will pay for itself over the years.

If you don't know it yet. Get out of debt and save your money for things you want. Nothing tastes as sweet as buying something with cash and enjoying it then and not having the burden of paying it off later.

Bakwa

Prophetic Marksman
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Mar 22, 2017
    FL
    Its really about investing in what you enjoy. No need to buy a 1k tool to use 1 time if a $50 one will work. Its okay to buy something cheap for 1 use. Its the stuff you use 90% of the time buy quality. Also realize if you don't love something get rid of it and get what you really want. Rarely will settling for less than what you want make you happy. I bought a new truck once had a fortune in it. I didn't like it. I cut my losses after 3 months and went back to what I liked. Life is too short to be unhappy.

Also certain things you should enjoy. If you drink, drink the good stuff. Smoke? Smoke the good stuff. Eat a steak eat the best you can afford. The pleasures in life should be a pleasure not just okay.

If only one thing I would say get a quality foam bed. Sucks to drop a couple K on a new bed. But you would glady drop a quater on the night stand each night if you knew you would wake up rested in the morning. It will pay for itself over the years.

If you don't know it yet. Get out of debt and save your money for things you want. Nothing tastes as sweet as buying something with cash and enjoying it then and not having the burden of paying it off later.
    Wise words.