• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What Horus reticle for S&B?

Re: What Horus reticle for S&B?

H59. I have used it in a shoot and it is great. It is super easy to use and not super busy. I was able to use it at 10x power. I own a 5-25 S&B with that reticle.

Here is the H37
r2s3zd.jpg

and the H59 at 8x

H59_8x_Resized.jpg

Hello All,

Finally broke down and joined a forum. I have a 59 and a 37 and I prefer the 37

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hairball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello All,

Finally broke down and joined a forum. I have a 59 and a 37 and I prefer the 37
</div></div>

Why is that?
Is swiching from 37 to 59 easy?

I also have both but my preference goes to the 59.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jp67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What horus reticle do you suggest for a S&B 5-25 or a 3-20?
H59 or H37?
Thanks for your help </div></div>

H37 is best suited if you want to use the scope for extreme long range with holdovers, otherwise H59 makes more sense because you have half the FOV for spotting, observing, etc. With the H-59 you can always dial part of the firing solution and holdover more if need be.

As far as “switching” is concerned, all Horus reticles operate on the same software set up and once the final solution is determined, the shot can be taken on any of their reticles. I find the 59 is good at closer ranges in decent wind conditions that may not require excessive holdovers. I use a 59 on my 300RUM but going out further with my AX338 or M99, I use a 37. Like many of the reviews for these reticles, you either love them or hate them but I have used Horus for many years and prefer them over other options. Just as Steve123 has described, each one has its place depending upon the type of shooting you plan on for the majority of the time. The 37 also gives you more grids to work with at a higher magnification. A typical holdover with my 416 at 1600 yards is roughly 12. I can still see the 12 grid at full magnification on a 37 while the 59 would need a lower magnification to see the grid. In closing, if you primarily intend to shoot targets that could be moving within medium range go with a 59. If you intend to shoot static targets at very long range, go with a 37. Just my opinion and I am sure there are several others.

I agree with you but you could still run 12 mils at full power by dialing a partial. My guess is that shooting at 1600 yds you will have time to dial and then figure your hold

my opinion is the 58/59 provides a much easier FOV and you can simply partial dial for extended ranges

No argument here, you could but I find that defeats the purpose of a system that is set up so you don’t have to touch the dials once you set it at 100 yards. I’m an older guy so I shoot for fun and as such, I have all day to set up a shot if needed. I try to keep it simple so that is why I use different reticles for different distances. The 59 does have a better field of view as the entire upper half of the field is relatively open. The 37 also starts in the upper third of the view which covers a large section of the field but I guess I am use to it so it does not bother me much and I use a spotting scope for times when I am looking down range. I am by no means a “Captain Midnight” operator that observes targets for long periods of time through a scope so the 37 works for me. If I made a living at this, I may worry about the field of view issue and stick with a 59. Either way, it’s all good

I definitely do see the utility in the 37 for ELR but what does strike me as a little odd is the chunks taken out on the windage on the left side. not sure what they were thinking on that

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hairball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A typical holdover with my 416 at 1600 yards is roughly 12. I can still see the 12 grid at full magnification on a 37 while the 59 would need a lower magnification to see the grid.</div></div>

This has nothing to do with the reticle choice, it is a function of field of view. If your scope with the H59 cuts off the 12 mil hash at max mag, it is because the FOV is smaller at max mag than the FOV of the other scope at max mag.

Joe

True, if the scopes are different size like a 30mm versus a 34mm tube. I have two 34mm size scopes and when both are set at 20x, the 59 falls short of providing the same availability of grid pattern that the 37 provides. Just from the design of the 37 being placed so high in the field of view, the 59 can’t show the same results from similar scope designs. Again, two different reticles for two different purposes.

Not a fan of the TREMOR...but jesus christ anything is better than the abortion that is the H37.

I read somewhere on this forum that S&B H59 reticle does not have dot in the center. Is it true?

That is not true. This is our H59 on 20x. Sorry for the phone pic but you get the point.

Our H37 on 20x. It also has the dots at every two mil increments just as the H59 does.

Last edited:
Hi Jerry,
Do you have pics of the illuminated H37 and tremor?
Can t find anywhere.
Is just the center dot illuminated like the h59 or more?
Thanks

Hi Jerry,
Can t find anywhere.
Thanks

The 37 has the center 2x2 mil (1 mil each direction from center) illuminated and every 2 mil interval below center. Also at 10 mil on the 6:00 stadia there is a single dot left and right of center 2 mil out and at 20 mil there are dots on each side at 2 and 4 mil left and right of center.

The TreMoR 2 has the center dot and a dot illuminated on the solid stadia every two mil below center. These are essentially designed to be used in conjunction with UNS devices and are not that visible during daylight. If you're looking for pretty illumination for daytime, the TR-2 or 59 won't do it. If you have a 22 or 27 you'll be more than happy.

Last edited:
Hi Jerry,
Can t find anywhere.
Thanks

These are snap shots right out of the HORUS spec manual off of the HORUS website. The full documents for each reticle can be found in the manuals downloads section on their website in the top right hand corner of the home page.

imuxhx.png

a2x2eq.png

35hmu89.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-05 at 1.04.56 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-07-05 at 1.04.56 PM.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2013-07-05 at 1.05.37 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-07-05 at 1.05.37 PM.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Screen Shot 2013-07-05 at 1.03.45 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-07-05 at 1.03.45 PM.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Papa Zero Three, thanks for posting those illustrations!

Saved me the time of taking the pics through the scope.

Just got H59 on PMII 3-20x50. I think you do not want to go further in terms of obstructing visibility. H59. This is how far I can go with Hs.

I'm no pro though

Last edited: