• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What I'd done to my ugly gun so far.

donws2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2008
Mountain Rest, South Carolina
Started out as a CMP 40X with a cut down stock. Has some pitting on both sides of the barrel at the wood line and the bolt did not match so there's no real value other than a good receiver to build on. Started out with a Choate cheap stock. Didn't like the feel of it at first. Very slick to the touch so used acetone to remove any mold release. Helped but still not there. So painted with Kylon Fusion and feels alot better. Next back end of stock is hollow and drums to the touch. Fixed that with old lead bullets and expaining foam. About two pounds latter and it balances with the 28 inch 40x barrel very nicely. Bolt had alot of headspace so installed a Pacific Tool 40x bolt and it's very tight now. Expect it to grow abit with use so that's OK. 20 dollar gun shop bipod (used). A Tony Spori steel 20 minute one piece base. Walmart weaver rings and a Weaver V16 scope. I did the trigger myself. Cleaned all the old oils out. Had turned to varnish. Replace trigger spring with tire valve spring. Works great for anyone that's not done it. You should start out with about three coils longer than the factory spring as the valve spring is alot softer. Polish all the intenal parts and lub with light electric motor oil. Last along time and holds up to heat very well. Only thing left is to park and bed it. Shoots pretty good as is so I'm not in a hurry for that. Not desided if I want to bob the barrel. Works out so far to be under 700 bucks for the every thing and parking will be cheap to as I do my own.

DSC00173.jpg

DSC00178.jpg

This one was with the flash on. It's not nearly that glossy in normal light.

DSC00172.jpg

Re: What I'd done to my ugly gun so far.

It's looking good, Don!

Yep, a tire valve spring. Thier the perfect size. Just trim them a liitle longer than the factory one. I've tried ball point pen springs and mechanical pencil springs and some do work but they are a little tight and I've had one get hungup. That will make for a fun day.

You got to be carefull with the new tire valves. They have a rubber stopper and do not have a spring. I go by the local tire shop and get the used valves they are going to throw out. They should just give them to you. Tractor trailor valves are higher quality and I believe the springs are better.

The pictures don't show the pitting very well but it'll all be good when the thing is parked and painted. Been thinking a 22 tuner that looks like a can would be a nice touch. If you don't show the ammo you could have a bit of fun with the crowd at the range. Every one thinks the thing is a cannon when I get it out.

Thanks for the feed back. Donald

Oh Dear God!!!!! That thing is hideous Horrible looking gun, No One I mean No One needs a eye sore like that taking up space in their gun safe...PM me for address and Ill take it off your hands for you and you wont have to burden your other guns of sharing a safe with the "Ugly Duckling"LOL Good looking gun Im Jealous

Great looking stick! I'd love to find one of those. Everyone around here, (MN,) seems to think these are worth gold. Like you said, most I've seen are build able, but far from premium price items condition wise.

Thanks it's been a fun project so far. Shoots real good but I've never seen a 40x that didn't. I agree about not disgracing the other weapins in my safes. So it's behind the back door just incase something comes in the back yard that needs a dirt nap. Oposums, squires and crows don't stand a chance. Crows do take a second hit most times. Those things are tough as hell to kill. The dogs and cats don't seem to mind. They like fresh meat; At least there's never anything left but tails and fur by morning. I still think a tuner that looks like a can with the barrel at 24 inches would be sharp looking just cant deside on how to do it. I guess if you fit a tuner then put a hollow sleeve over the outside that you could slide off to access the tuner would be the best approach. Something to think about. Donald

Looks great, Don, I'm jealous. I'd love to have a setup like that, maybe one day I'll be able to.

Thanks all.

Pardon the bolt is a Pacific Tool 40x by David Kiff. I now know why Remington cromes the cocking piece on thier bolts. The raw steel on steel gauled and I had to completely tear down the bolt and polish both pieces. I lubbed the cam surface with grease and have had no problems sense. The bolt is well made and the headspace is/was on the tight side. I've not checked it lately but it closes easier now so it's set itself back some I believe. It's holding inch size groups at 100 with wieght seperated SK ammo. I've still got a few more tricks to try so maybe it'll come in a little better. One is the bedding. The V-block does not apply even presure to the bottom of the receiver. I laid in some tool blue and removed some of the high spots. I think a liberal application of Devecon will finish that problem nicely. Everyone have a great weekend.

Donald

Nice looking gun. I didn't click through at first because I thought you were talking about a Savage
wink.gif

Thanks, The only Savage I've got is a 99 in 308. Carbine model and a great walking rifle for brush and hilly areas. Think I'll glass in tomorrow and be off to the range with some new 22 ammo. Donald