• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What in the hell...

Sugarbug

Sugarbug Don't Care
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2013
Louisiana
Loading for a new rifle.

80gr amax set to an OAL of 2.550" as suggested by the Lyman manual.

However when I loaded up a dummy round and chamber it (AR), the cartridge gets completely stuck. I can mortar the gun and get the case out, but the bullets get stuck in the barrel.

I know my OAL was good. Is my gun just not able to be set that long? Am I stuck with magazine length? I haven't tried mag length yet. Hoping a reloading guru is up late tonight.

It's a brand new krieger barrel. Hasn't been shot. Headspaced and everything by Krieger.

I would think that Krieger head-spaces with the certainty that 99.9% of their customers will be loading to mag length.

Seat a test round at mag length and see what happens. I will take a dummy round and seat it a little long and "paint" the bullet with a sharpie marker, drop the bolt and then extract the round and see if you are contacting the rifling based off of where the marker has been removed.

Aint never going to get an 80g AMAX to AR mag length. The 75g wont go to mag length either.

Good luck. I just traded 1000 75g AMAX to a guy for 1000 77g SMK's because of this very thing.

I just need it to chamber. I'll see if I can find the sweet spot.

I was planning on not loading to mag length.

2.480 OAL is what I ended up going with. I think 2.500 would work but likely unreliably.

Started at 22gr and went up to 23.8 in .2 grain increments.

2.550 sounds a little long. Just back it up until it works (within reason - I'm assuming if you seat a little deeper the problem will go away). I run sierra 80's at 2.435" in my service rifle - of course it was chambered with high power in mind where nobody seats 600 yard ammo to mag length.

I take it youre talking about an AR-15 type rifle? Correct me if im wrong but i dont think you can any amax bullet 75grn or higher as you need to seat them at mag length and the secant radius of the bullet starts to hit the case mouth opening....

Loading for a new rifle.

80gr amax set to an OAL of 2.550" as suggested by the Lyman manual.

However when I loaded up a dummy round and chamber it (AR), the cartridge gets completely stuck. I can mortar the gun and get the case out, but the bullets get stuck in the barrel.

I know my OAL was good. Is my gun just not able to be set that long? Am I stuck with magazine length? I haven't tried mag length yet. Hoping a reloading guru is up late tonight.

It's a brand new krieger barrel. Hasn't been shot. Headspaced and everything by Krieger.

Speak to the person that chambered your barrel. If it was Kreiger, give them a call. It's very likely that your chamber is not throated to accept the very long, (80 gr. Sierra & 75 A MAX) heavy bullets.

It is an AR15. Of course the throat is a bit short. The 80gr Sierra will work a bit better than the AMax for single load, usually. You are still going to be loading short. When you order an AR barrel from any manufacturer, it is best to find out what reamer is used BEFORE you are loading ammo.
Seat the bullets where they need to be to function(single load of course). The book is not the final word, your chamber is :)