• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk What is a PRS MIL ranging stage comprised of?

_Raining

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
How often do they come up in matches?
How much time do you have?
How stable are the positions?
What are the typical range of distances (i.e they never go past 800 yards)?
Do people do the calculations in their head or do they use a little calculator?
After you get the range do you use a quick dope sheet or do people tend to input the value into a kestrel/ballistics calc?

Seems like there would be a lot of fumbling around with devices on the clock, I am just trying to get an idea of what is done in PRS competition vs all the time in the world in prone at an unknown distance range.

Most guys approach that stage with a cheat sheet in hand. You most likely will not see this stage at a PRS sanctioned match

Matches I’ve shot, and RO’d, all ranges have been given in the match book. But a lot will verify with a LRF. Then while waiting to shoot check dope and make some sort of target card for dialing. Par time varies.

You won't be likely to see it in a PRS match. Field matches or RTC matches yes.
The one I shot last year at Karstetter was blind. You were given the target size and that's it.
I came up with my own strategy. The Kestrel has a range estimation feature buried in it where you measure the target with your reticle and input the amount of mils the target spans and it gives you the range.
I had a drop chart in my wrist coach already once I had the range.
So I went prone, found/measured the target with reticle, inputted that measurement into the kestrel, took the range it gave me and consulted my drop chart on my wrist coach, dialed and shot.
There were four targets at four ranges and I managed 7/8 hits and was super pumped with that result.
So the formula was simple, target size was 18". 18" target measured .6 mils which the kestrel gave a range of 833 yards. My 850 yard dope (off my chart) was 5.9 so I dialed 5.7 and sent it.
There were four targets ranging from 400-900 yards.
I saw alot of guys using different interesting methods. From using mildot masters to T3 reticles. I found my method expedient and accurate.

Attachments

• 20200306_221110.jpg
    20200306_221110.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 29
For ukd matches that don’t allow a laser rf, you’ll want to make charts.

All the common target sizes with the distance in 50 or 100yd increments with the size in mils.

And your dope card.

So you can for example (making up numbers), flash mil a target, see that it’s .6. You look at the target size, see what range correlates to the .6 mil measurement. Then ran that range and use your dope card to get the appropriate firing solution.

Reactions: Nicholi2789
For ukd matches that don’t allow a laser rf, you’ll want to make charts.

All the common target sizes with the distance in 50 or 100yd increments with the size in mils.

And your dope card.

So you can for example (making up numbers), flash mil a target, see that it’s .6. You look at the target size, see what range correlates to the .6 mil measurement. Then ran that range and use your dope card to get the appropriate firing solution.
That's a better method.
I didn't have any way to prepare for it ahead of time and didn't know it'd be there so I used what I had. I like this idea for storing inside my wrist coach though.

The trick to a PRS UKD stage is not to shoot it first, only the first guy has to range it, by the time the 3rd guy gets up, everyone on the range knows it.

In other cases, where you have to range targets on a clock an example of a chart, and this one is pretty old you can make better ones, looks like this:

4e424431c21a6d8b32433d4aca7d02b6.jpg

The closest thing to a true UKD I have seen in several years (mostly shooting in the SE) has been at Alabama Precision. Jim has run stages with 3-5 targets where only the middle target is given with an exact range, and the others are stated as +/- X yards of that one - usually within 50 either way. Just dial for the middle and hold high/low as needed.