• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is a reamer?

bdh308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2009
Paris,Tennessee
I keep hearing about people using reamers....What exactly is a reamer? New shooter so sorry if its a dumb ?.

Re: What is a reamer?

think of it as a drill bit, it is just a big one that cuts out the chamber of a barrel blank.

My ex-wife was a reamer and a half
laugh.gif
....but I don't think that was your question? How about from Barrel Making 101 and I quote:

<span style="font-weight: bold">REAMING</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">A good bore reamer maker is a barrel maker's best friend. The reamer is ground to finished bore diameter, and will bring the drilled hole to size as well as leave a good surface finish. The reaming process is what determines the finish of the tops of the lands.

The reamer is mounted on a long hollow tube to allow coolant to be pumped to the tool. The reamer is pulled through the barrel on a special reaming machine at around 200 RPM and a feed rate of 1"/minute.

After the reamer is pulled through, it is inspected for flaws in surface finish and air-gauged for dimensional uniformity. It is now ready to be rifled.</span></span>

Bob

Not a stupid question if you don't know.A reamer is a cutting tool, there are many kinds, for many different purposes.On here,they are usually refuring to a reamer for cutting a rifle chamber. Lightman

So is this something you can do with a factory barrel thats been used...or does it have to be a blank gunsmithed into you factory chamber?

Thank guys for the education. Just for the record Im not new to guns but to precision shooting and never heard of a reamer before.

sort of like a step drill
Remember the one who is embarassed to ask cannot learn
and
The only stupid question is the one you do not ask
and
Better a stupid question than a stupid mistake.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...013#Post1158013

You can see the reamer in this thread.

There are solid pilot reamers and floating pilot reamers. Floating pilot reamer has a removable/changeable pilot so you can match pilot size on reamer to land size of barrel.

Provided you have enough straight shank on the barrel, you could cut off threads and rechamber a barrel that has already been chambered/shot.

Also what does something like this cost or is it something you can find from a reputable barrel maker already done?

Thanks for asking this question.I also wondered what it was and was too gutless to ask.Now I know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bdh308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So is this something you can do with a factory barrel thats been used...or does it have to be a blank gunsmithed into you factory chamber?

Thank guys for the education. Just for the record Im not new to guns but to precision shooting and never heard of a reamer before. </div></div>

the reamer being referred to on this site is usually the chamber reamer. it is the cutting tool that cuts the actual chamber. it is typically used on new, unchambered barel blanks. if you have a chambered barrel, you don't need one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bdh308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What exactly is a reamer?</div></div>

Something you give that freak on friday night after leaving the bar
wink.gif

Lol! I think thats more like a rimmer. I also wondered about this reamer thing because I heard people getting there chambers reamed to a specific bullet.

In this case, a reamer is a fluted cutter that is used for chambering rifle barrels. The throat and lead is ground onto the end of the reamer and the entire chamber, throat and lead are cut at the same time. The lead is 99.9% of the time 1 1/2 degrees, the throat is based on your bullet and seating depth. Theres also a removable piolet that attaches to the end of the reamer to help it follow the bore. There are other types of reamers (non-chambering) that are used when a perfectly round holes are needed in machinging process's and are not only for gunsmiths.

Thanks Roscoe...So basically in order to have this done it will or should be done from ground zero (Rifle Build)? Hopefully at some point in my life a can afford to do this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is used to cut the rifling? </div></div>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifling
this gives a pretty good description of the different rifling methods....
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is used to cut the rifling? </div></div>

Cut rifling uses a broach
Button rifilng uses a button
Hammer forged uses a madrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is used to cut the rifling? </div></div>

Hammer forged uses a madrel </div></div>

And all of the above use Mexicans

I'm really impressed with you guys.. This guys question could have been really abused beyond belief but you all held your tongue and answered politely and thoroughly... I am laughing though.......SmokeRolls

Me too now that I know what it is but I could have played dumb and just kept on not knowing what it is and get into a conversation with a guy who knows what the hell he is talking about and be like some idiots and do the infamous " OH YEAH MAN I TOTALLY KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT". But Im sure SmokeRolls that at some point in time you needed to know to bro. But thanks for laughing with me. I love know it alls because those are the people your learn the least from.

bdh308: I hope you don't think I am acting like a know-it-all. I'm just commenting on how behaved the group remained on this post....Sometimes others will absolutely destroy someone by verbal carpet bombing.....I was amazed and I am paying them a complement. You did well to ask a question when you did not know. I do the same when I do not know and I find that I don't know a lot of things......I would be a fool to think that I know all things....It's all good.......SmokeRolls

I agree with that statement SmokeRolls...and yes some people do fire a question up and I would have taken it like a man if that was the case but yes they were very helpful. Its just like the comment above from Jericho ...he didnt have the balls to ask that ? but was glad I did cause he didnt know either. Hopefully it helped other not so educated people too. If and when Im capable of building a rifle from scratch I will know that is a key element to precision shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is used to cut the rifling? </div></div>

Hammer forged uses a madrel </div></div>

Cut rifling doesnt use a broach but a single point cutter. They have done broaching before on barrels but its kinda costly.