• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

What is a reasonable difference between 1st and 2nd successive shots from a cold barrel?

bluetickjr

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2021
BILLINGS, mt
I'm sighting in a new Browning X-bolt chambered for 300 WM. Shooting 180 grain SPBT bullet at 3050 fps. I'm shooting 3 in a row (maybe a minute between shots) at 100 yds. My first shot tends to be almost an inch higher than the 2nd and 3rd hits which are less than 1/2" apart. I let the barrel cool and the next 3 shots were a repeat of the first 3. Have others found this typical to shoot a whole inch higher one the first shot at 100 yds?

It's not uncommon for the first shot on a cold barrel to be way off. What's uncommon is for that to happen again in the same session after letting the barrel cool down a bit. "Cold" means cold, as in unfired in the last hour or so. Waiting 5-10 minutes for a barrel to cool down between strings of fire should not, in my experience, result in another way off cold-bore shot.

I'm sighting in a new Browning X-bolt chambered for 300 WM. Shooting 180 grain SPBT bullet at 3050 fps. I'm shooting 3 in a row (maybe a minute between shots) at 100 yds. My first shot tends to be almost an inch higher than the 2nd and 3rd hits which are less than 1/2" apart. I let the barrel cool and the next 3 shots were a repeat of the first 3. Have others found this typical to shoot a whole inch higher one the first shot at 100 yds?
Try different ammo and verify that the results are similar. Also shoot 5rd groups and see where shots 4 and 5 land.

Reactions: Baron23
I once had a Savage .308 that had a cold bore 1st shot that was 1 MOA different from warm barrel shots. I eventually ended up wearing the factory barrel throat out and screwed in a new Shilen match barrel. With the Shilen barrel, cold bore shots were dead on with warm barrel shots.

Since this positive experience of mine with a quality aftermarket barrel, I'm suspecting that the double stress relieving in aftermarket barrels might have something to do with helping or eliminating this phenomenon. Pulling a rifling button through a bore when making a barrel induces stresses which may alter a bullet's direction depending on different temperatures of the metal. The second stress relieving on aftermarket barrels is done after the rifling process.