• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is a Tactical Match Like?

hpt2k

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2004
St. Johns, Fl.
Hello All,
I have been lurking here for a couple years. I have never shot a tactical match and don't know the format. My experience has been NRA Highpower matches and have been doing it for about 10 years. I hold a Master class qualification in long range and across the course.
What is the course of fire for these matches you guys shoot? Thanks for any info on this.

Re: What is a Tactical Match Like?

Run...Shoot.....Crawl......shoot. Run some more.....shoot. Climb.......shoot. Run more.........shoot.

Repeat until exhausted.

Most shoots are modeled after real war fighting/sniping/LE scenarios and training methods. It is a ever-changing format. with emphasis on accuracy, marksmanship, quick thinking, and time.

Have you looked at the Hardrock matches. They are more of long range precison match. You shoot at a 1moa 10 point ring and have a 2moa scoring ring at 600/8/9/1000 yards. You shoot all shots from the bench. Not all the running about if this is more your style. All ragnes are steel plates. It's located in Aurburn, Al. We have a good many people that come from out of state. They have a all day practice day on Fridays and the match on Saturday.. Look up DocB on the Hardrock thread in this section and send him a pm he'll get you the rules and next years schedule. This years last match is next weekend.

tactical matches are always a challenge...to me,,,,what is simple,is hard.....what is hard is simple.....some matches require another gun....most usually a pistol and then one must drive them both safely and accurately to great aplumb.

Thanks for the info and replies. Have been thinking about other disciplines other than NRA matches.

Thanks.

What is a Tactical Match Like?

SEX WITH THE WIFE.

I always miss what I am aiming at.
And
All my buddies are better at it than me
and
No matter how bad I perform I can't wait until the next time.
and
I get to enjoy it about 4 times per year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is a Tactical Match Like?

SEX WITH THE WIFE.

And
and
and
I get to enjoy it about 4 times per year. </div></div>

Best description I've ever heard!
Thanks for the laugh, that was great!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is a Tactical Match Like?

SEX WITH THE WIFE.

And
and
and
I get to enjoy it about 4 times per year.</div></div>

You must not any shame saying that all your buddies are better at doing your wife than you are...
grin.gif

J/K John, that is the absolute best description of a match that I have ever heard.

I have been shooting rifle, all my life. Got into long range shooting about 3 years ago. Joined a 1000 yard range 2 years ago. I routinely shoot to 500 at the farm. Eventually it started to get mundain. I took up a friend on his offer to go to the Reade Range Snipers Challange in PA. It was the absolute most fun I have ever had. If you start to get board shooting your rifle, do a match, that is what all these rifles are built to do, no less.

It seems intimidating. I screwed up on a lot on the simple stuff, and some nerves and inexpeiriance kicked my ass, but it was still the absolute most fun that I ever had. So much fun, I am making a 14hr drive to LA in Dec. to shoot the Terry Cross/Jim Clark Match.

Do it, and it will forever change how you think and appreciate your rifle and the skill that are involved to make it do what it is supposed to, every time.