• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is acceptable bullet weight variation?

greentimber

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2005
TN
What do you guys consider an acceptable amount of variation in the weigt of your component projectiles? I just bought a box of bullets from a reputable manufacturer and was stunned by the weight variation in them. I found 36 out of 100 that I culled from use. I generally consider 1/10th of a grain + or - to be ok & have never found any issues using that standard until now. Some of these bullets were <span style="font-style: italic">over a full grain too heavy</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">almost a full grain too light</span>!

Re: What is acceptable bullet weight variation?

I typically shoot anything 0.2 low to 0.2 high. All others get used as fouling rounds after cleaning or sighters. I never get anything 1 grain low or high. 0.4 off center is about the max that comes in my yellow boxes. I usually get 0 - 2 rounds out of range per box.

Unless you are shooting benchrest spending more time shooting the bullets than weighing them will do more for your marksmanship and accuracy.

If you have access to an interior ballistics program, you can run the numbers for yourself and see if the variation that could be caused by varying weights of bullets would be acceptable to you. I think if you do this you will see that the weight variations are a very minor factor in the POI equation. Of course if you are shooting LR Comps, and all other variables like runout, charge weight, case capacity, neck tension, etc. are minimized then you would be more likely to notice the difference. In my sorting for normal field use, I sort to three piles by weight, then check dimensions in each pile. Cull bullets with major variances in dimensions/profile first (even if weight is good, use them as foulers), then bullets with major weight differences (again foulers).

my .02

tater

Nobody can calculate their way to a perfect target. The variables we routinely address are only the ones we can do something about. We are at the mercy of plenty more.

The quality control limits that large match bullet makers conform to are actually quite conservative, and such variances are not of major significance to all but the folks who are looking for that last 1/8MOA of improvement, having already dotted all the I's and crossed all the T's.

Even with all the perfections polished to, well, perfection; I can't shoot well enough to confirm such significances. I am far from alone in that.

Most of us would be pleased with 1/2MOA accuracy, and thrilled with 1/4MOA.

Bullet weigh differences of 2-5% are not going to intrude in that. Neck tensions and bearing surfaces vary more, and have far greater significance.

Greg

I guess the best reply to the OP would be to ask the OP what his intended purpose is. But now that the 1000 yard F-class target X-ring is a 1/2 minute, ( meaning just a 2.5 inches from center to edge, and the 1000 yard benchrest record is under 3" for a ten shot group. It seems like everything matters. It really doesn't take but a few minutes to weigh a couple of boxes of bullets for an F-class match, and if I find one out of 200 that would cost me a point then it is worth it. Many matches are decided by a single point or even on X counts.

1 conclusion- spend more time shooting than weighing stuff. If you have to ask the question, then chances are you don't need to worry about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greentimber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys consider an acceptable amount of variation in the weigt of your component projectiles? I just bought a box of bullets from a reputable manufacturer and was stunned by the weight variation in them. I found 36 out of 100 that I culled from use. I generally consider 1/10th of a grain + or - to be ok & have never found any issues using that standard until now. Some of these bullets were <span style="font-style: italic">over a full grain too heavy</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">almost a full grain too light</span>!

</div></div>

Shit, Man, get a life!

Unless you are a robot, and you can repeat every movement (including heartbeat and breathing) EXACTLY the same each and every time you shoot, then YOU are the limiting factor in accuracy.

If you are shooting benchrest, then it <span style="font-style: italic">may</span> make a difference, but probably mostly psychological. For field shooting, you won't notice the difference.

Practice reading the wind, that's the biggest variable in outdoor shooting and will make <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-size: 14pt">WAY</span></span> more difference than a couple of grains either way.

OR, you could just give me all those rubbish bullets that you think are junk because they weigh half a gnats cock more than the next one in the box.

Just sayin....

N

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tater</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have access to an interior ballistics program, you can run the numbers for yourself and see if the variation that could be caused by varying weights of bullets would be acceptable to you. I think if you do this you will see that the weight variations are a very minor factor in the POI equation. Of course if you are shooting LR Comps, and all other variables like runout, charge weight, case capacity, neck tension, etc. are minimized then you would be more likely to notice the difference. In my sorting for normal field use, I sort to three piles by weight, then check dimensions in each pile. Cull bullets with major variances in dimensions/profile first (even if weight is good, use them as foulers), then bullets with major weight differences (again foulers).

my .02

tater </div></div>

I have access to a ballistics program...In fact several of them. You should take your own advice and try them. For the most part they do not even use the bullet wt. in the calculation. They use BC and velocity. You should set up a bullet in the program then copy that bullet using all the same data but just change the bullet weight. For example I can take my 185 grain load and change the bullet weight to 100 grains. As long as the BC and velocity do not change the dope stays the same. Does that mean bullet weight does not matter? I agree with you for practical shooting it does not matter. Even beyond 1000 yards when you are shooting 1 MOA steel targets. But precision shooting is a different game at distance. I've seen too many matches decided by millimeters. Eliminating variability is always good. I am also not sure why everyone thinks that if you weigh bullets you do not have time to shoot. I average about 2500 rounds a year, the amount that I shoot has nothing to do with how long it takes to weigh bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paduan Learner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greentimber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys consider an acceptable amount of variation in the weigt of your component projectiles? I just bought a box of bullets from a reputable manufacturer and was stunned by the weight variation in them. I found 36 out of 100 that I culled from use. I generally consider 1/10th of a grain + or - to be ok & have never found any issues using that standard until now. Some of these bullets were <span style="font-style: italic">over a full grain too heavy</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">almost a full grain too light</span>!

</div></div>

Shit, Man, get a life!

Unless you are a robot, and you can repeat every movement (including heartbeat and breathing) EXACTLY the same each and every time you shoot, then YOU are the limiting factor in accuracy.

If you are shooting benchrest, then it <span style="font-style: italic">may</span> make a difference, but probably mostly psychological. For field shooting, you won't notice the difference.

Practice reading the wind, that's the biggest variable in outdoor shooting and will make <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-size: 14pt">WAY</span></span> more difference than a couple of grains either way.

OR, you could just give me all those rubbish bullets that you think are junk because they weigh half a gnats cock more than the next one in the box.

Just sayin....

How is that feeding an open mind....I'm just saying.

N </div></div>

Sounds like hornady 208 Amax's or maybe Sierra 175 SMK's. I tell you what. Box em up and send all your rejects to me, I wont even charge you for disposal and I will pay half of shipping. on the real side though I wouldnt worry about it too much. I have a load for my 308 with 165 SGK's and 168 SMK's same amount of powder, same case, same primer. If I went 1 for 1 at the same spot you couldnt tell which one was which at 100yards.

We used to inspect a LOT of bullets. We inspected most other peoples bullets. Unless you're using a reliable scale your measurements may be askew. One thing to remember. To weight to .1 grain your scale MUST read to .01 Unless you're using a laboratory grade scale, I'm afraid your numbers may not be accurate. Our $2000 laboratory balance is mounted on a granite slab and lives in a plexiglass house. Anything less is suspect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barrel Nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tater</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have access to an interior ballistics program, you can run the numbers for yourself and see if the variation that could be caused by varying weights of bullets would be acceptable to you. I think if you do this you will see that the weight variations are a very minor factor in the POI equation. Of course if you are shooting LR Comps, and all other variables like runout, charge weight, case capacity, neck tension, etc. are minimized then you would be more likely to notice the difference. In my sorting for normal field use, I sort to three piles by weight, then check dimensions in each pile. Cull bullets with major variances in dimensions/profile first (even if weight is good, use them as foulers), then bullets with major weight differences (again foulers).

my .02

tater </div></div>

I have access to a ballistics program...In fact several of them. You should take your own advice and try them. For the most part they do not even use the bullet wt. in the calculation. They use BC and velocity. You should set up a bullet in the program then copy that bullet using all the same data but just change the bullet weight. For example I can take my 185 grain load and change the bullet weight to 100 grains. As long as the BC and velocity do not change the dope stays the same. Does that mean bullet weight does not matter? I agree with you for practical shooting it does not matter. Even beyond 1000 yards when you are shooting 1 MOA steel targets. But precision shooting is a different game at distance. I've seen too many matches decided by millimeters. Eliminating variability is always good. I am also not sure why everyone thinks that if you weigh bullets you do not have time to shoot. I average about 2500 rounds a year, the amount that I shoot has nothing to do with how long it takes to weigh bullets. </div></div>

Barrel Nut,

I did not say ballistics program, I said INTERIOR BALLISTICS. ie Quickload. This means inside the gun. The weight of the bullet and bearing surface are the factors there. The BC has nothing to do with INTERIOR BALLISTICS.

thanks,

tater

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paduan Learner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greentimber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys consider an acceptable amount of variation in the weigt of your component projectiles? I just bought a box of bullets from a reputable manufacturer and was stunned by the weight variation in them. I found 36 out of 100 that I culled from use. I generally consider 1/10th of a grain + or - to be ok & have never found any issues using that standard until now. Some of these bullets were <span style="font-style: italic">over a full grain too heavy</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">almost a full grain too light</span>!

</div></div>

Shit, Man, get a life!

Just sayin....

N </div></div>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

the one thing i took away from this thread was the phrase "half a gnats cock"

i would like written permission to use this as my own in future conversations, lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greentimber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys consider an acceptable amount of variation in the weigt of your component projectiles? I just bought a box of bullets from a reputable manufacturer and was stunned by the weight variation in them. I found 36 out of 100 that I culled from use. I generally consider 1/10th of a grain + or - to be ok & have never found any issues using that standard until now. Some of these bullets were <span style="font-style: italic">over a full grain too heavy</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">almost a full grain too light</span>!

</div></div>

Rock on dude, whatever lets you sleep at night......

You failed to mention your caliber/chambering/bullet type....so there's little help to offer, realistically.

Suprised at the gurus, so far, for not mentioning that it might matter to the lightest/smallest calibers....but the larger you go, the less it makes any meaningful difference, exponentially.

Advice was rendered to shoot more, worry less...you've been led to water, with that.

When you can shoot the difference then you won't even have to ask the question......

hahah "half a gnats cock" very funny.

Like what pretty much everyone else had said before me, it wont make that much of noticeable difference especially if you're not a very experienced shooter. I have a 308 i reload for and my groups have gotten dramatically better, not because i weighed all my bullets but because i practiced, and i just get some bullets load em up and shoot em. the thing that counts is your ability. well for the most part anyways.

i used to do it... but i soon realized i was wasting my time...

Look at the wind drift for say a 55gr .223 at 300 yards for whatever speed wind.

that could vary by a few inches.

Now look at the potential poi difference if one bullet is .1gr heavier or ligher than another....

Especially if you're shooting off a bipod.. you'll just be wasting your time.

However if you're an expert shooter at very long ranges with a benchrest setup, that might be a different story

"0" is the only tolerance if you are sorting for match ammo, but as said above, there are alot more variables more important than bullet weight.

.2 grs. either way of bullet weight isn't going to make much difference if you can't read wind at the 98+% accurately level. A .308 in particular has alot of variables that must be dealt with for repeatable accuracy. Recoil management and trigger control is near the top.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

.2 grs. either way of bullet weight isn't going to make much difference if you can't read wind at the 98+% accurately level. </div></div>

We're talking about 2/10's of 1/7000th of a pound.

Fer Christ's Sake somebody get a grasp on how small of a variable that is.

More influence than that is put on a bullet by the snot hangin' out of your fuckin' nose............

Let me restate the question since it is clear that some of you didn't get it the first time:

"What do you consider an acceptable amount of variation in the weight of your component projectiles?"

Too many assumptions being made that have nothing to do with the question.

I don't want to jump into the frying pan here, but I have found over the years, that bullet length is more important than weight. By this I mean, instead of wt, use a comparator with a good dial caliper, and you will actually end up with a "sort" that you can see a difference with on target. Wt, from a good box of bullets, doesn't really change your group size. As one the guys on this sting put it, take all you 175's that don't wt "right" box em up and send them to me!

Hm, realistically I would sort them at most by .2gr variations.

Preferable .1 or less, IF I was going to sort.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greentimber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me restate the question since it is clear that some of you didn't get it the first time:

"What do you consider an acceptable amount of variation in the weight of your component projectiles?"

Too many assumptions being made that have nothing to do with the question.

</div></div>

Decide what is YOUR TOLERANCE ON THE TARGET and then run the formula that I linked to in my initial post.

You don't provide enough information to answer the question, don't be surprised when assumptions are made.

"Let me restate the question since it is clear that some of you didn't get it the first time: What do you consider an acceptable amount of variation in the weight of your component projectiles?"

That's easy; +/- .1 gr.

Of course I have to accept the unacceptable quite often.