• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What is an EREK knob

Re: What is an EREK knob

Well, USO makes the EREK in either MOA (inch) or mil (metric or CM). The main benefit to the EREK dial is its size, offering more MOA or mil elevation adjustment in a single turn.

Larger knob = more room for #s and clicks per rotation in laymas terms.

Kirk R

I do like the EREK knob, and I agree it is pretty damn cool
smile.gif
but there is the option of the US#3 knob too.

The actual benefit tot he Erector Repositioning Elevation Knob is that the elevation control can be set independent of the actual "knob" that you turn in your fingertips. In other words, you can set the actual turret you turn where you want it (usually bottomed or close to it) and then adjust "zero" the actual erector's elevation. This allows the user to have only "up" (or a limited amount od "down"-I like .5 mil) adjustment avaialble from their zero.

Plus its big and has alot of adjustment per turn (90 clicks standard-newer versions have more, both of mine (a PSR proto and a SSDS) have 110 clicks per turn and are pretty much setup as single turn turrets.

Plus as chiller ssid they are huge on the CDI factor!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EREK Knob
-Picture of MST-100's MTC turret here- </div></div>

Ummm, no........but very cool assembly in its own right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The actual benefit tot he Erector Repositioning Elevation Knob is that the elevation control can be set independent of the actual "knob" that you turn in your fingertips. In other words, you can set the actual turret you turn where you want it (usually bottomed or close to it) and then adjust "zero" the actual erector's elevation. This allows the user to have only "up" (or a limited amount od "down"-I like .5 mil) adjustment avaialble from their zero.

Plus its big and has alot of adjustment per turn (90 clicks standard-newer versions have more, both of mine (a PSR proto and a SSDS) have 110 clicks per turn and are pretty much setup as single turn turrets.

Plus as chiller ssid they are huge on the CDI factor!! </div></div>

So, in layman's terms, the EREK can be setup as a defacto Zero Stop. Can't get lost in the knob on an EREK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The actual benefit tot he Erector Repositioning Elevation Knob is that the elevation control can be set independent of the actual "knob" that you turn in your fingertips. In other words, you can set the actual turret you turn where you want it (usually bottomed or close to it) and then adjust "zero" the actual erector's elevation. This allows the user to have only "up" (or a limited amount od "down"-I like .5 mil) adjustment avaialble from their zero.

So, in layman's terms, the EREK can be setup as a defacto Zero Stop. Can't get lost in the knob on an EREK. </div></div>

Yes, but I would leave some room on the downside incase you are shooting downhill. Also, when completely bottomed out, you lose some windage adjustment.

Think of a small tube in a big tube. If the small tube is at the very bottom, it cannot move as far left or right due to the curvature of the bigger tube that it is in. The more centered, the more adjustment right and left.

"Yes, but I would leave some room on the downside incase you are shooting downhill"

Not needed when you have a scale reticle with markings on the vertical stadia above the horizontal one that matches your elevation knob.

Also assuming you have a 100 yard zero, a 45 degree downward angle only changes the POI less than .3 mil (under an inch).

Not much down side to using the EREK in zero stop mode.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tony.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The actual benefit tot he Erector Repositioning Elevation Knob is that the elevation control can be set independent of the actual "knob" that you turn in your fingertips. In other words, you can set the actual turret you turn where you want it (usually bottomed or close to it) and then adjust "zero" the actual erector's elevation. This allows the user to have only "up" (or a limited amount od "down"-I like .5 mil) adjustment avaialble from their zero.

So, in layman's terms, the EREK can be setup as a defacto Zero Stop. Can't get lost in the knob on an EREK. </div></div>

Yes, but I would leave some room on the downside incase you are shooting downhill. Also, when completely bottomed out, you lose some windage adjustment.

Think of a small tube in a big tube. If the small tube is at the very bottom, it cannot move as far left or right due to the curvature of the bigger tube that it is in. The more centered, the more adjustment right and left. </div></div>

As a matter SOP, I would leave 1mil down travel (for side prone, etc) but the EREK bottoming out has NO bearing on losing windage adjustment. Just because the EREK knob is bottomed out does not mean the adjustment range (erector tube) is bottomed out. The EREK knob and the erector tube adjustment can be adjusted independently from each other (that's what the hole in the EREK knob is for) thus is the beauty of the system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tony.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The actual benefit tot he Erector Repositioning Elevation Knob is that the elevation control can be set independent of the actual "knob" that you turn in your fingertips. In other words, you can set the actual turret you turn where you want it (usually bottomed or close to it) and then adjust "zero" the actual erector's elevation. This allows the user to have only "up" (or a limited amount od "down"-I like .5 mil) adjustment avaialble from their zero.

Think of a small tube in a big tube. If the small tube is at the very bottom, it cannot move as far left or right due to the curvature of the bigger tube that it is in. The more centered, the more adjustment right and left. </div></div>

I think you're thinking of an erector tube. The EREK really has nothing to do with that. It's just a turret with a screw inside the main screw. (The main screw which adjusts the elevation.) This secondary screw gives a bit of adjustment past the main screw so that you can set it up as a make shift "sorta" zero stop. I'm pretty sure that the center screw does contact the erector tube/housing

With the Erek you don't magically gain extra elevation out of the turret. Even if you think you might have, it's just false elevation. I can't remember where mine stops moving the reticle elevation, but it's way before the turret actually tops off. This will differ depending on where you have the center screw adjusted. Still I'm pretty sure they give it quite a bit of wiggle room, so no matter what you'll end up with some false elevation. (Unless you had something like a 40MOA base.)

I think one of the reasons that USO doesn't specifically state that the EREK is a zero stop, is because when you adjust it, you're basically causing the main screw which is attached to the top of the knob to bottom out on the drum portion of the EREK assembly. In doing this, it's like tightening the head of a screw. As it touches, it gets tighter, but you can still turn it more. But really you shouldn't because it could potentially damage the main screw. (Over torquing it.) So you set it to stop several clicks down from zero. That way you'll know it's on it's last revolution as it starts to tighten.

I think one big aspect of the EREK that most people don't recognize is the fact that the center screw makes for an analog adjustment to elevation. So if you have 1/2moa clicks, you can still get a precise elevation zero.

Still I think it's really weird that the EREK has 90 clicks per turn vs. 100...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

110 clicks?!!?! There is soooo much fail right there...

100 clicks makes soooooo much more sense. Counting would be insanely easy. 50 would work great. For MOA, 80 would work great. I don't get 110 clicks... Oh yeah, and for some reason all my EREK knobs never had the double turn markings, so counting is a real bitch. Especially on the 1/4 MOA knob. (Freakin 22 and 1/2 per turn!)

EREK is the cats ass IMO 45moa per turn 1/2 moa clicks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

100 clicks makes soooooo much more sense. Counting would be insanely easy. 50 would work great. For MOA, 80 would work great. I don't get 110 clicks... Oh yeah, and for some reason all my EREK knobs never had the double turn markings, so counting is a real bitch. Especially on the 1/4 MOA knob. (Freakin 22 and 1/2 per turn!) </div></div>

Fail? Why dont you look up the history of the PSR and SSDS scope before you call it a fail.

Hrm... So single turn 1/2 MOA clicks would be 55 total MOA per turn. The specs say 1100+yards. They should have been able to get to 1100 yards easy with 50 MOA in a single turn. But for some reason they had to squeeze just one more BDC detent into that single turn. They didn't win a contract and now they have another weirdo spline cutting broach for their detents. 100 clicks would have been better.

Wouldn't it have been nice to get 10 mil per revolution? Or 25 MOA per rev on a 1/4MOA click or 50MOA on a 1/2MOA click?

Not 11mils, 27.5MOA and 55MOA?

The contract was for 11 mils in one revolution (MOA was not an option) with the knob only able to make one revolution. Stupid rule by the gov't but it's what they said.

Current and past EREK knobs had/have 90 detents slice it any way you want.

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hrm... So single turn 1/2 MOA clicks would be 55 total MOA per turn. The specs say 1100+yards. They should have been able to get to 1100 yards easy with 50 MOA in a single turn. But for some reason they had to squeeze just one more BDC detent into that single turn. They didn't win a contract and now they have another weirdo spline cutting broach for their detents. 100 clicks would have been better.

Wouldn't it have been nice to get 10 mil per revolution? Or 25 MOA per rev on a 1/4MOA click or 50MOA on a 1/2MOA click?

Not 11mils, 27.5MOA and 55MOA? </div></div>

I really couldnt care less how high or low it goes, 9 is more than enough for me since I get to 1K with only 6 mils. But ya, 10 mils per turn does seem to make more sense. But calling it fail is fail in it self because it was Govt requested.

I guess so. It's a goofy government spec, and now I know. I still think they should make a 100 click per turn EREK. Mainly I was astounded that they'd made another spline and it was another funky number.

7mm WSM only needs 6 mils to get to 1k?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess so. It's a goofy government spec, and now I know. I still think they should make a 100 click per turn EREK. Mainly I was astounded that they'd made another spline and it was another funky number.

<span style="font-weight: bold">7mm WSM only needs 6 mils to get to 1k?</span> </div></div>

Yup! 6 mils on the dot gets me to 1K.

I think it's the elevation knob on a USO scope but I could be wrong..... At least I think so..... But I could be wrong, sorry.... Of f**k I didn't read through the whole thread....

The odd number leaves the perfect spot for sombody to make that style knob to go on other type scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

100 clicks makes soooooo much more sense. Counting would be insanely easy. 50 would work great. For MOA, 80 would work great. I don't get 110 clicks... Oh yeah, and for some reason all my EREK knobs never had the double turn markings, so counting is a real bitch. Especially on the 1/4 MOA knob. (Freakin 22 and 1/2 per turn!) </div></div>

Did you take geometry or trig? We have gears to make this work, right? For 110 clicks, if your radius is 10, your cutout in between teeth is .9992, pretty damn close to 1 considering the cuts need some mass between them. 110 clicks per turn works out great for math (machining). 100 clicks is .9980. So now you have be able to cut something far more accurately ( in our case, it requires one hundred thousandth of the gear's radius accuracy to cut the difference of 100 vs 110 perfect teeth. Of course I am assurming you don't have a protractor and just two sticks, a wheel and a saw, but these numbers aren't usually random. It's to deliver more perfect machines. My bet would be on some tool somewhere being better able to deliver one vs another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: specopsbrooklyn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering the same thing but I didnt want to ask lol </div></div>I don't know what an EREK knob is either, but I hear that if it lasts for more than four hours you should see a doctor.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: specopsbrooklyn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering the same thing but I didnt want to ask lol </div></div>I don't know what an EREK knob is either, but I hear that if it lasts for more than four hours you should see a doctor.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Thank you bro...that was hilarious.

I just finished an article on a USO SN-3. In the article it explains a little bit more about the EREK knob for those looking for more information. You can find the article here.

Thanks,

Mike @ CST