• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What is Best product for removing Shoe Polish

jc98ss

Swansonisms
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2010
Middle TN
what do you guys use to remove the show polish residue after you break apart an action that has been glass bedded?....rubbing alcohol?.....mineral spirits?....brake cleaner?....soap & hot water????....what is best?

Re: What is Best product for removing Shoe Polish

Shoe shine brush
grin.gif
I would use Acetone or Mineral spirits. Test in a small area first to see how it affects the finish.

or Lighter Fluid....

dont use brake parts cleaner i had it bubble a finish on a pistol slide after i had refinished it in alumahide 2

I use brake cleaner all the time on blued or stainless barreled receivers but Alumnahyde don't last long with it.LOL Neither will most paint etc. You need to know exactly what kind of finish you have. Lighter fluid has always worked ok for me but then again I don't get it on anything but metal!

Naptha (lighter fluid) then clean with Simple Green, WD40 or such. Then scrub with Dish Washer detergent, hot water, and blow dry. Finish fast because it is COMPLETELY degreased.

thanks fellas....i've got plenty of mineral spirits, but no lighter fluid laying around....i will pick some up and compare them....

I've used WD40 per the bedding tutorials and it cleans just fine. Haven't had to use anything else.