• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is better than 5-25 PST Gen 2 in $650 price range?

Rockymountheel1

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2021
Rocky Mount
I am going to pull the trigger on a new optic for a 6ARC gas gun. Looking to hit 1000 yards. What is better than a PST Gen 2 5-25 in the $650 range? Looking to stay around that price.

Same boat looking for a spare leaning hard on Sightron S-Tac FFP zero stop think yhats best deal

Same boat looking for a spare leaning hard on Sightron S-Tac FFP zero stop think yhats best deal
Do the specs on the Sightron S-TAC FFP cover what you want? If so it's the way to go as the quality is certainly there

Magnification3-16x
Objective Lens Diameter42mm
Eye Relief3.6 - 4.1 inches
Field of View29.2 - 6.1ft @100 yds
Tube Size30mm
Turret StyleTactical (Resettable)
Zero StopYes
Click Value.1 MRAD
Minutes Per Revolution5 MRAD
Max Elevation Adjustment20.4 MRAD
Max Windage Adjustment20.4 MRAD
Parallax Setting10 yards to Infinity
Focus TypeSide Focus
Reticle TypeMH-2
Focal PlaneFirst
IlluminationYes
FinishMatte Black
WaterproofYes - IPX 7 rated
Anti-Reflection TechExclusive Zact-7 Revcoat® Multi-coating
Fog ProofYes
Length13.3 inches
Weight24.8 oz
SunshadeNot included
Item Number26017

The specs on the S-Tac FFP are not bad I just don’t know Sightron enough to know there glass tiers and where this falls. The PST XD glass is pretty good, it does have its limits. Unless you really needed the 25 power the Bushnell LRHSI Gen 1 is what I would spend $650 on right now, have to find one on the secondary market.

Reactions: Glassaholic
The Titan is absolutely a great option. I didn't include it in my original suggestions as I do not like suggesting above the requested price range, however, you see I suggested the Helix, which is one step down from a Titan. We have been VERY pleased with the Element scopes, as have been those who have trusted our advice and purchased them.

The specs on the S-Tac FFP are not bad I just don’t know Sightron enough to know there glass tiers and where this falls. The PST XD glass is pretty good, it does have its limits. Unless you really needed the 25 power the Bushnell LRHSI Gen 1 is what I would spend $650 on right now, have to find one on the secondary market.
Sightron has been a solid brand for many years with excellent quality optics. They are also one of the few, if not the only, Pacific Rim made riflescopes that do not make anything in China. All their riflescopes are made either in the Philippines or Japan.

I would also go for a Bushnell lrtsi/lrhs of the OP can locate one at the right price.
Otherwise Athlon Midas if illumination is not required.

I am going to pull the trigger on a new optic for a 6ARC gas gun. Looking to hit 1000 yards. What is better than a PST Gen 2 5-25 in the $650 range? Looking to stay around that price.
Not much really in that price as you are getting a $1000 optic for $650 with the PST just because it's the 2C reticle which is a real good reticle but not the newest 7C. You don;t have to give up features or power to get something in the price range.

That price is a steal now.

Not much really in that price as you are getting a $1000 optic for $650 with the PST just because it's the 2C reticle which is a real good reticle but not the newest 7C. You don;t have to give up features or power to get something in the price range.

Fuck yes

Sightron doesn't really make super cheap crap. They make decent, good, and damn good.

I would pick the sightron over the pst every day of the week.
First consideration. The sightron I had to warranty was over 10 years old and needed a windage turret. They sent me a new scope after asking me to pick from a list, as it was well past discontinued by the time it failed.
Vortex has a great policy. I know, because I had to use it on every one I've bought. Big part of why I don't own any of them anymore.

Second. I can look through Sightron glass for hours. I can't do that with vortex. Something with their coatings screws with my eyes and I can't ever get them to stay focused. Takes about 30 minutes and I've got a migraine from trying to deal with them.

What is the warranty on the Sightron and the Element scope brand?

I have used 1 warranty time on my Vortex scopes of which I have 7 from pst1 to a razor gen 2

There is several in that price range to choose from. A marked down pst is good choice for the slightly better glass.
If I was in the market, which I always am for sub 1k scopes, I’d look at
Used strike eagle 5-25
Venom
Helos Gen 2
Midas 5-25.
Arken when they’re not backordered.
I know there’s some slipping my mind.
I like 34mm tubes though, if you’re into 30mm tubes then I’d pick the pst 2. I personally think Athlon is putting out better and more options in the sub 1k market than any other company right now. The entire helos line is pretty bad ass. Im going to start trying out more of their stuff this year, they’ve put some really interesting stuff out lately.

Last edited:
Reactions: FuhQ
I’ve been running some elements now for a while. I’ve tested them from 22-300 Norma. I’ve run 2 titans, 1 helix and 2 nexus. All have been excellent! I now own 1 titan and 1 nexus and love both!! Will be happy to purchase more. My shooting partner now owns the other titan and the other nexus and the helix is owned by his best friend. I feel like they all punch above there price point

Reactions: Gohring65
Meopta optika 6 is good, not sure it's "better" but it's right there. That's where I would go of I wasn't going PST gen 2. Check out the 3-18x50 and 5-30x56.

OP, just a thought. You don’t need 25x to hit 1000 yards. For a gas gun I highly recommend the PST II 3-15x44, I’ve had both (PST II 5-25 and 3-15) and the 3-15 has slightly better glass, shorter. The Sightron mentioned above sounds interesting and the Bushnell LRHS/LRTS 4.5-18 is another nice option that I’d say would be a step “above” in IQ. You can also find Burris XTR II 4-20 in this price range (I do not recommend XTR II 5-25 or 3-15) it is another decent option (early units had some issues optically but later ones are comparable to PST II optically).

OP, just a thought. You don’t need 25x to hit 1000 yards. For a gas gun I highly recommend the PST II 3-15x44, I’ve had both (PST II 5-25 and 3-15) and the 3-15 has slightly better glass, shorter. The Sightron mentioned above sounds interesting and the Bushnell LRHS/LRTS 4.5-18 is another nice option that I’d say would be a step “above” in IQ. You can also find Burris XTR II 4-20 in this price range (I do not recommend XTR II 5-25 or 3-15) it is another decent option (early units had some issues optically but later ones are comparable to PST II optically).
Having looked through the PST Gen 2 3-15 and the Bushnell LHRSI 4.5-18 I completely agree with you. Both are really nice. That LHRSI is such a steal if you can find it used like I did for a family members ar10.

What's up with the 3-15 XTR2? I have a 4-20 and was thinking about getting a 3-15. But I've held back as the 3-15 isn't really any smaller or lighter than the 4-20, and I use the 14-18 mag range more often than 3-4.

What's up with the 3-15 XTR2? I have a 4-20 and was thinking about getting a 3-15. But I've held back as the 3-15 isn't really any smaller or lighter than the 4-20, and I use the 14-18 mag range more often than 3-4.
This is not personal experience but comes from a respected resource (@koshkin ), I do not remember the specifics but recall ILya mentioning the 3-15 had some optical characteristics that were worth avoiding.

Speaking of ILya, he just updated his "Under $700" scope list, might be worth checking out for the OP

Damnit. Why did you have to post a link. Now I have to buy one.

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01

If you qualify for expert voice (ie first responder / military / etc) there’s several options on there that will surprise you. I don’t think it would be kosher to post models / prices though so that’s all I can say.

If you qualify for expert voice (ie first responder / military / etc) there’s several options on there that will surprise you. I don’t think it would be kosher to post models / prices though so that’s all I can say.
Agreed on the expert voice point. I'd also consider your overall budget in regards for 1000 yards. Is it just touching some large stuff at that distance? shooting a specific sized target? I own a viper pst gen II, and it would not be my first choice at 1000. I'd really save some more money up and spring for an athlon ares at that point.

I wish I could find a DMR II or LRHS. I kick myself every day for not purchasing a DMR II when they were blowing them out at Midway. I see the LRHS II available at GA precision. Is there anywhere to get a Bushnell discount or to find a used DMR II or XRS II?

Reactions: Gohring65
I wish I could find a DMR II or LRHS. I kick myself every day for not purchasing a DMR II when they were blowing them out at Midway. I see the LRHS II available at GA precision. Is there anywhere to get a Bushnell discount or to find a used DMR II or XRS II?
They pop up here often. I love my DMR2.

I believe they offer first responder/mil discount, if you qualify for either?

What is better than a Philippines glass PST Gen2 for $650? The Japanese ED glass in the Arken EP5 for $550... 😂

3e7ad725b860fb607e1eedee8a54968b.jpg

suggest the new Arken scopes as they get great reviews and I own can confirm how stellar they are at their pricepoint

Last edited:
Reactions: Simonsza1 and FuhQ
I know, because you're a keyboard commando that contributes nothing of productivity to the forum, just a bunch of stupid memes and shit like some idiot frat boy with a sub-level IQ.
Actually, this is the only meme I ever posted here. Sure looks like it brought all your insecurities out though, so I might just have to post more. ;)

I'm on expert voice however the $650 PST2 linked on eurooptic is cheaper than EV pricing. What other brands/models were you referencing?

I'm also interested in a sub <$700 scope since my Arken EP5 arrived leaking gas/fluid. I took a gamble based on the shills and lost. Recommend avoiding Arken. Having said that can we please stop with Arken, let's keep this thread discussing legitimate options.

Sounds like the $650 PST2 seems like the best buy right now.

• Wow
Reactions: Cr1775 and JDB55
I'm on expert voice however the $650 PST2 linked on eurooptic is cheaper than EV pricing. What other brands/models were you referencing?

I'm also interested in a sub <$700 scope since my Arken EP5 arrived leaking gas/fluid. I took a gamble based on the shills and lost. Recommend avoiding Arken.
My strike eagle 5-25 seems pretty nice
The helos gen 2 6-24 looks promising

In my opinion and my experience there is no reason to choose a Chinese OEM'd scope(not necessarily true of the value brought in china OEM'd red dots, magnifiers, prisms, etc) unless your budget absolutely demands it. IMO for scopes specifically, bump up to Phillipines or Japanese (or European in the case of Meopta) OEM'D products.

Last edited:
Where does the vortex Venom rank among others mentioned and compared to PST? On paper it looks like it beats PST in almost every category.

Where does the vortex Venom rank among others mentioned and compared to PST? On paper it looks like it beats PST in almost every category.
I don't believe its illuminated, so depending on the need of that feature I'm not sure. I always thought the PST gen 2 quality wise was right below the Razor and the Venom was right below that, but that's just what I thought lol. Not facts.

I don't believe its illuminated, so depending on the need of that feature I'm not sure. I always thought the PST gen 2 quality wise was right below the Razor and the Venom was right below that, but that's just what I thought lol. Not facts.
Other than illumination. I know the eye box on my Venom is way more forgiving than a PST used to own. And glass looks better than my XTR2.

Venom/stike eagle/PST. Is there any real difference in glass?

Other than illumination. I know the eye box on my Venom is way more forgiving than a PST used to own. And glass looks better than my XTR2.

Venom/stike eagle/PST. Is there any real difference in glass?

Yes. They are listed in glass, lowest to highest, the way you listed them although the SE and PST are pretty close.