• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is causing my horizontal wiggle?

Mike_in_FL

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 29, 2008
    Tampa Bay, FL
    When I'm using a bipod and a rear bag, whether off the bench or prone, I have some horizontal wiggle. I feel like I've cleaned it up some by pulling the stock tighter into my shoulder while not tensing. I'm still more stable with a sling and jacket from prone, or just bags on the bench.

I "think" it's from the rear bag. I'm trying my best to pinch with index and thumb but fighting to keep various bags from collapsing. And I feel like I own all the bags at the point, a couple of Precision Underground, Rifle Only, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I wonder if this wiggle is detected by observing your reticle wiggle on the target or by shot placement in groups.

Every time I've had something like this, the root cause has been some tension, discomfort or pinch in my body position. I seek greater comfort, better relaxation.

If your bipod is low let out a notch to give your body more room.

reticle wiggle

If your bipod is low let out a notch to give your body more room.

I see it, try to shoot in the center of it. I usually do run the bipod as high as I can be comfortable in prone, lower is worse for me. It's kind of a cluster because I don't think the steel has been painted since Nixon so not much to view of a group for feedback. Another issue is the tiny "hill" where the bipod legs hit the ground at the line.

Sorry, didn't see that.. ok. Pinching bag. I agree with cheek weld pressure. What distance are you shooting, and what position ? Prone on ground, off a bench, ?? Need some more help.

Trigger press ? I've seen that cause issues. Sorry if these are noob pointers, but we need a reference to help.

Last Saturday I shot all prone at 400-ish. I did have my scope dialed up somewhat near 20x. I think my trigger press is alright. I'm starting to think it's the cheek pressure too. But it kind of goes against the whole you should be able to fall asleep on the rifle.

Last Saturday I shot all prone at 400-ish. I did have my scope dialed up somewhat near 20x. I think my trigger press is alright. I'm starting to think it's the cheek pressure too. But it kind of goes against the whole you should be able to fall asleep on the rifle.
    What is your scope height @Mike_in_FL ? If not above 2.4", your rings are too low, causing you to tilt your head to get a proper eye relief. This causes you to "lay on the rifle" and will weaken the entire rear of your rifle at the shot. Would also like to know is you are square with the rifle and the only way for me to know that is to see you on the rifle. Vertical lift in the butt stock provides a better pocket and acceptance of recoil along the line of departure.

Grip the bag tight and hold that through the entire string of fire, using the pincers to keep the butt stock from fishtailing.

---Taylor

I see it, try to shoot in the center of it. I usually do run the bipod as high as I can be comfortable in prone, lower is worse for me. It's kind of a cluster because I don't think the steel has been painted since Nixon so not much to view of a group for feedback. Another issue is the tiny "hill" where the bipod legs hit the ground at the line.

Hey, I painted that shit three weeks ago. Well, a lot of it

Reactions: lash
    Hey, I painted that shit three weeks ago. Well, a lot of it

Hey Mike just the guy I wanted to talk to. So the pig is over on the left now, What's the range to it? I fired all my shots at the next berm to the right. The ipsc's are marked 5 but my dope seems like 4.

Someone must shoot sandpaper bullets I guess!

I am at 2.56” and it is extremely comfortable.

-Stan
    Ok, so maybe I'm misunderstanding this...your scope rings are 2.56" to center? Who makes such a set of rings?

Or are you saying that your scope center is 2.56" above barrel bore center?

Ok, so maybe I'm misunderstanding this...your scope rings are 2.56" to center? Who makes such a set of rings?

Or are you saying that your scope center is 2.56" above barrel bore center?
    Center of bore to center of rings. Standard measurement that you put into a ballistic solver.

ETA: I type slow.

Reactions: Baron23
    Hey Mike just the guy I wanted to talk to. So the pig is over on the left now, What's the range to it? I fired all my shots at the next berm to the right. The ipsc's are marked 5 but my dope seems like 4.

Someone must shoot sandpaper bullets I guess!

Yeah, the pig was 517 out in the open. It's on the 500 berm now because they moved it for a match.
    The 400 berm is 426.
    The coyote is now at 500-ish. I will get you an actual number tomorrow.

We're heading out there in the morning and will paint some steel again since we're running a camera out to the mile.

Is there anything specific you need painted?

BTW, painting has been my issue since they opened.
    Ben..., not Eric.

Gonna PM you my cell.

Let me pull you into my rabbit hole for a moment…

To fix my excessive cheek pressure I switched to super high rings from Leupold to get my face more vertical, removed all cheek pieces to use a chin weld instead of a cheek weld which minimizes body contact to the buttstock, and switched to a Sport Tact Lite buttstock by Accurate Mag which, with the cheek piece removed, has the thinnest chin area on the market thus enabling my eye to be centered behind the scope without tilting my head at all thus not adding pressure to the rifle.

With this setup my chin barely touches the buttstock when my eye is behind the scope.

All of the above will be validated on Sunday.

For a no-cost test, try removing all cheek pieces from your rifle and going with a chin weld and see what happens. It did wonders for me.

-Stan