• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is generally considered the most precise semi-auto rifle?

RatAtALaptop

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2023
USA
I am looking for some input regarding a potential rifle purchase. Probably looking for something in 762 or 6.5 creed. Would be used for mainly target shooting at 200-600+ yards.

Rifles I am already considering include: LMT MARS-H DMR 308 / lwrci repr mkii / seekins precision sp10 / Nemo arms XO 20" / GA precision GAP-10 g2 / JP enterprises LPR / LaRue PredatOBR.

Reactions: mettee
I built an Ar-10 from JP parts in 6.5 creedmore and it is the most accurate rifle I own. Hard to run suppressed but with the gas almost no recoil so staying on target for multiple rounds makes lots of bullets fly through the same ragged hole.

Reactions: FWoo45 and simonp
I don't have first hand results... but the GAP would be first on my list.

JP for sure. GAP most likely, though I have not owned a GAP but they have a great reputation. The others are good but in a different class than JP & GAP. I have used a Nemo and it shot well for the few shots I took, but I'd never recommend them due to their history and assistance, or lack there of, with owner's who ran into issues 7-8 year ago. This was with both two 300wm models and a contract run of 308's.

I’d buy an SP10M and never look back if it’s gotta be a large frame. They’re the only company that will rebarrel it free of charge when you shoot it out and their barrels are excellent.

I wouldn’t buy a large frame though unless you’re shooting significantly further than 600 yards. A 223 DMR with 77’s is absolutely fine to 800 yards. A 6 ARC will get you out to over 1000 with consistent hits and 22 ARC will probably do the same. Any of them will be less expensive to buy, less expensive to shoot, and easier to shoot than a large frame.

The GAP-10 would be my choice, it's basically a SP10 with a Bartlein barrel. Low round count used GAP's and SP10's come up in the classifieds, get a SP10 cheap enough and you could install a Bartlein.

The most accurate large frame I've had is a Wilson Combat Recon Tac but didn't keep it long enough to see how reliability was.

I have a LaRue OBR and a PredatorOBR. The OBR is a great shooter. I was disappointed with my PredatorOBR's accuracy.

Reactions: simonp
there isn't any 'one'
homebuilds, special builds etc, all can be good or great or not so great

trial and error

getting popcorn for the homerism

Reactions: -H- and simonp
Target shooting, large frame? GAP-10 G2 because of the Bartlein barrel. 6.5 Cr because less recoil and flatter shooting.

if your looking for precision i’d have craddock or compass lake build you exactly what you want. i had compass lake build me a 260rem on a armalite b series with a krieger and it more capable that i am.
also i wouldnt over look 6mm stuff for precision. less moving mass is always a plus.

I've owned quite a few large frame ARs and honestly some have shot pretty damn good.
BARs shoot pretty well too.....not the old WWII units, the later civilian model MK2s.
Nothing touches my PSG1 though....it's a frikkin hammer.

So I am framing it as a question, the large frame is easier right? Heavier bullet, better ballistics, ect.
Eh, not really for the 200-600 target use the OP laid out.
The ballistics at those ranges are a very negligible step up from something like 6ARC, 6MAX, 224V if you can get one to shoot well...
Like was posted above, 5.56 and heavies will do this just fine, 6ARC or similar will do it great, large frame cartridges are almost a waste.
Then the guns are bigger, heavier, more expensive, and have a higher probability of being unreliable. They're harder to shoot, have more recoil which hinders self spotting (already hard enough at shorter ranges) and factory ammo is a bit more expensive. If you handload the small frame cartridges are considerably cheaper. And cheaper ammo equals more shooting, which equals more skill, and that's far more important inside of 600 yards than a tiny bump in ballistic capability.

Let's remember that this thread was started by a poster that joined Friday and this is his single post. Not even sure he's been back to see our illustrious effort in answering his question.

JP for sure. GAP most likely, though I have not owned a GAP but they have a great reputation. The others are good but in a different class than JP & GAP. I have used a Nemo and it shot well for the few shots I took, but I'd never recommend them due to their history and assistance, or lack there of, with owner's who ran into issues 7-8 year ago. This was with both two 300wm models and a contract run of 308's.
@Niles Coyote Hey man, I just got a brand new Nemo Recon, 300 WM. Just curious if you heard anything about their current production rifles and issues being worked out?

I have 5 randomly acquired barrels for my large frame Larue Tobr, and each one shoots well in a variety of configurations suppressed and not. Some barrels are sub moa and several are half moa, and better at times when I am doing my part.

Last edited:
Let's remember that this thread was started by a poster that joined Friday and this is his single post. Not even sure he's been back to see our illustrious effort in answering his question.
I do not appreciate what you are implying. I assure you I have been reading and considering every response carefully. "It is better to close your mouth and have people wonder if you are stupid, than to open it and remove all doubt"

Did you buy one yet, @RatAtALaptop? I found this thread because I had the same question, with the addition that I will be running suppressed most of the time. Was looking hard at a LWRCI with a CF Proof barrel, but read some concerning things. paper/steel will hopefully be the only use, but I want a (sledge)hammer for SHTF scenarios also.

Did you buy one yet, @RatAtALaptop? I found this thread because I had the same question, with the addition that I will be running suppressed most of the time. Was looking hard at a LWRCI with a CF Proof barrel, but read some concerning things. paper/steel will hopefully be the only use, but I want a (sledge)hammer for SHTF scenarios also.
I put down a deposit on a GAP-10 G2 in 6.5. Wait times are 8 months. And I also started a form 3 on a 6.5 TBAC ultra 9. Then a form 4 after that. We are going to see which comes in first. Very expensive, will be the most expensive firearm in my collection, but I'm hopeful that I my high expectations will not be disappointed because of how highly recommended they both are.

I put down a deposit on a GAP-10 G2 in 6.5. Wait times are 8 months. And I also started a form 3 on a 6.5 TBAC ultra 9. Then a form 4 after that. We are going to see which comes in first. Very expensive, will be the most expensive firearm in my collection, but I'm hopeful that I my high expectations will not be disappointed because of how highly recommended they both are.
8 months, ouch. Im to impatient. I have a few form 4s in process right now. I an otter creek poloniumK for my 5.56 and a CAT ODB for my to be ordered 308 / 6.5 cm. I am thinking hard about the SP-10...i'll report back.

You might as well as buy a RRA. They have some models with a sub. 75 MOA guarantee... it's super affordable. 2 of mine shoot sub .5 MOA with handloads. I'm talking .223, no need for a large frame at those distances.

if your looking for precision i’d have craddock or compass lake build you exactly what you want. i had compass lake build me a 260rem on a armalite b series with a krieger and it more capable that i am.
also i wouldnt over look 6mm stuff for precision. less moving mass is always a plus.
I also had a gunsmith make an Armalite B for me in 260remAI with a Krieger. It is very accurate.

RRA in .223 or .308. I have both and nothing compares for the money. Super accurarte. They to a number of govt agencies.

Reactions: GhostFace
Let us know how it does for you once it arrives.
The REPR, as I have it set up now. I only fired 10 rounds through it at range as a function test, and I have not zeroed yet. Thats next weeks project.

Attachments

• IMG_0617 (2).jpeg
    IMG_0617 (2).jpeg
    402.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0616 (2).jpeg
    IMG_0616 (2).jpeg
    307.3 KB · Views: 66
Let us know how it does for you once it arrives.
shot the REPR at 100 on Friday.
Observations:
1. very pleasant recoil for a 308; this was my observation and my instructor's observation. As a former Marine recon sniper, he has a lot more time behind different 308s than I do.

2. the proprietary rail mounting system is annoying. I purchased a 4.25" Area 419 arca rail. The screws that came with the repr did not seat fully in the holes in the 4.25" plate. I didn't notice this when I mounted it. We took a few shots to zero in the setup and the bipod popped off with the arca rail. When I got home, I looked at an 8" rail I have, and the holes were larger and allowed the screws to dully countersink. With it mounted, I lose a lot of rail real estate, so I'm looking for a solution.

3. We were forced to use the cheap plastic shooting rest that the range had available.This being my first attempt at precision shooting, I am not that skilled and threw at least one shot in every five-shot group. Once zeroed,he was able to shoot sub-moa with good ammo, I am not skilled enough yte.

4. The Federal Gold Metal Center Strike OTM 168 grain shot very well. We tried 175 grain of the same ammo and it also grouped nicely. The attached image is a 5 shot group that I took a picture of; the flyer was my fault. He was able to punch five much better than I was, keeping them all in a small, tight sub-ma group, but I didn't take pics. Interestingly, the Federal Cartridge .308 Cal TRU: 168gr Sierra Tipped Matchking would not cycle the gun on any gas setting.

5. The Nightforce ATACR 5-25 F1 glass is amazing, as expected.

Overall, I am very happy with the rifle. I need a lot more time behind it to improve my skill to approach the capability of the rifle. The only downside so far is the proprietary rail mounting system and the bipod. I think I have it fixed in the short term, but have no more room on the rail for an angled group or a barricade stop. I could always which to a pic. mount on the bipod and use the included sections, but trying not to do that.

We may take it out to 500, if we can get the range time before I leave town for the summer. Actively looking for a range in eastern PA (close to Philly) to work my way out to 1000, suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 6.16.24 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 6.16.24 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
The one you build, with a quality barrel.
For 600 yds that could be an AR 15 in 5.56, 6mm ARC, 224 Valkyrie, etc or an AR10 in 308, 6.5 CM are all capable of shooting small groups.

I am looking for some input regarding a potential rifle purchase. Probably looking for something in 762 or 6.5 creed. Would be used for mainly target shooting at 200-600+ yards.

Rifles I am already considering include: LMT MARS-H DMR 308 / lwrci repr mkii / seekins precision sp10 / Nemo arms XO 20" / GA precision GAP-10 g2 / JP enterprises LPR / LaRue PredatOBR.
For pure accuracy, I would go with a GAP.

For factory, I really don't think you are going to see a noticeable from vendors you listed.

shot the REPR at 100 on Friday.
Observations:
1. very pleasant recoil for a 308; this was my observation and my instructor's observation. As a former Marine recon sniper, he has a lot more time behind different 308s than I do.

2. the proprietary rail mounting system is annoying. I purchased a 4.25" Area 419 arca rail. The screws that came with the repr did not seat fully in the holes in the 4.25" plate. I didn't notice this when I mounted it. We took a few shots to zero in the setup and the bipod popped off with the arca rail. When I got home, I looked at an 8" rail I have, and the holes were larger and allowed the screws to dully countersink. With it mounted, I lose a lot of rail real estate, so I'm looking for a solution.

3. We were forced to use the cheap plastic shooting rest that the range had available.This being my first attempt at precision shooting, I am not that skilled and threw at least one shot in every five-shot group. Once zeroed,he was able to shoot sub-moa with good ammo, I am not skilled enough yte.

4. The Federal Gold Metal Center Strike OTM 168 grain shot very well. We tried 175 grain of the same ammo and it also grouped nicely. The attached image is a 5 shot group that I took a picture of; the flyer was my fault. He was able to punch five much better than I was, keeping them all in a small, tight sub-ma group, but I didn't take pics. Interestingly, the Federal Cartridge .308 Cal TRU: 168gr Sierra Tipped Matchking would not cycle the gun on any gas setting.

5. The Nightforce ATACR 5-25 F1 glass is amazing, as expected.

Overall, I am very happy with the rifle. I need a lot more time behind it to improve my skill to approach the capability of the rifle. The only downside so far is the proprietary rail mounting system and the bipod. I think I have it fixed in the short term, but have no more room on the rail for an angled group or a barricade stop. I could always which to a pic. mount on the bipod and use the included sections, but trying not to do that.

We may take it out to 500, if we can get the range time before I leave town for the summer. Actively looking for a range in eastern PA (close to Philly) to work my way out to 1000, suggestions welcome.
Thanks for the write up — enjoy the new rifle!

Eh, not really for the 200-600 target use the OP laid out.
The ballistics at those ranges are a very negligible step up from something like 6ARC, 6MAX, 224V if you can get one to shoot well...
Like was posted above, 5.56 and heavies will do this just fine, 6ARC or similar will do it great, large frame cartridges are almost a waste.
Then the guns are bigger, heavier, more expensive, and have a higher probability of being unreliable. They're harder to shoot, have more recoil which hinders self spotting (already hard enough at shorter ranges) and factory ammo is a bit more expensive. If you handload the small frame cartridges are considerably cheaper. And cheaper ammo equals more shooting, which equals more skill, and that's far more important inside of 600 yards than a tiny bump in ballistic capability.

ug....223 at 600 yards is still my battle, only because of wind drift. there are times where i dial in 4 moa at that range just to get on target AFTER i shoot a couple rounds to find out.

seems like a slight enough breeze to not affect the grass still pushes 77gr bullets off course alot.

can a guy even make a first round shot on target with a cross wind at that range and a 223?

My last "precise" 308 win semi auto was a M1A. I have a STG-58 now built on an Imbel receiver. But I mostly use my AR15's for actual hunting out to 500 yards, maybe 600 yards. Steel out to 800 yards but I can't see the splash.

can a guy even make a first round shot on target with a cross wind at that range and a 223?
Get a bigger target!
It can be done, but it takes a special combo of experience and luck. I've got bit enough times by the wind that I'm more likely to miss by holding too much for the first shot these days, when an edge of plate would've got me a hit.

I shot this 10 shot group first time at a 1000 yard range with my JP Lrp-07 with factory Prime 6.5 creed ammunition. It has the original JP steel barrel with rifle length gas. Too bad I had the one flier. It would’ve been a more impressive group.

Attachments

• 61F88FC4-10A5-47B5-BDCC-2222CA44875C.jpeg
    61F88FC4-10A5-47B5-BDCC-2222CA44875C.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 32
Get a bigger target!
It can be done, but it takes a special combo of experience and luck. I've got bit enough times by the wind that I'm more likely to miss by holding too much for the first shot these days, when an edge of plate would've got me a hit.

ya i just have these 12” steel disks set up at various ranges. makes it challenging. haha

IMG_3758.jpeg
IMG_3065.jpeg

IMG_3757.jpeg

Those are short work for a 12” Grendel even in a small frame; hits hard too with a lot of impact noise.

I don’t even mess around with Grendel inside of 400yds unless it’s a KYL rack or tiny targets. It’s more fun from 600-1200yds.

If I was doing a 6.5 Creed or 7.62 and only had to worry about 200-600yds, they would be 12” guns with as long of a gas system as possible, suppressed, built on smaller frames if possible. The Savage MSR-10 frame seems ideal for that.

But if you’re chasing precision, the heavier the rifle, the easier it is to shoot accurately and precisely since it resists any body input errors more.

I’d buy an SP10M and never look back if it’s gotta be a large frame. They’re the only company that will rebarrel it free of charge when you shoot it out and their barrels are excellent.

I wouldn’t buy a large frame though unless you’re shooting significantly further than 600 yards. A 223 DMR with 77’s is absolutely fine to 800 yards. A 6 ARC will get you out to over 1000 with consistent hits and 22 ARC will probably do the same. Any of them will be less expensive to buy, less expensive to shoot, and easier to shoot than a large frame.
This. if you really want something that will be an off the shelf laser, get a Mk12 upper from Precision Reflex. They use good blanks, and you can enjoy the SPR vibes while you're at it.

ya i just have these 12” steel disks set up at various ranges. makes it challenging. haha

View attachment 8387223View attachment 8387224
View attachment 8387225
Yeah it's definitely a challenge. I'll say this though, if you're missing by two feet due to wind with 5.56 you'll likely be missing with any chambering. If you just barely miss the edge of a target all the time, then yes, you can buy some hits with better ballistics. I like to think 90% of my misses with 5.56 would still be misses with my 6mm Grendel. Yes, it's better, but not worlds better. Being able to spot misses might be one of the biggest advantages to bigger/heavier bullets.