• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is going on here? Sizing die issue?

earthquake

Area Man
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2009
    USA
    Just started reloading my Dasher brass after about 2 years off. This brass was last fired at the 2020 Grind.

Lubed with 16:1 alcohol/lanolin, put die in co-ax press with no adjustments since last usage. Started noticing some, not all, of the cases look like this. Rounded neck/shoulder junction.

SAC die, Alpha (non-OCD) brass.
    Middle one is how they should look. All three went through the die.
    IMG_20220130_131731797.jpg

I'm wondering if they're being stretched on the downstroke? I don't notice any significant difference on n the feel of the press. I asked some others and it was thought that maybe too much lube. They were rather wet when I sized them.

is the neck diameter less on the rounded shoulder vs the appropriate shoulder? I would think that if excessive lube was the cause, it would have also "squeezed" the neck down also?

When you find out let us know. Im thinking maybe lube mix not consistent? Never used SAC die. Maybe use Imperial sizing wax.

I think stretching on the down is right. Bushing not releasing? Expander catching on not lubed inside?

Make sure neck bushing is right side up? If I recall correctly, the SAC neck bushings have an Internal shape that is not typical of neck bushings, which could cause the issue you are seeing