• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is it with that last round !?!?!

GRIM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2009
Wisconsin
Ok granted it was windy today but I was testing out some .308 handloads in a bolt gun. Shot 4 rounds touching then tossed the 5th about 1/2-3/4" away from the rest. Didn't change my cheek weld or anything. Happened a couple of times today. Always the last round...

Re: What is it with that last round !?!?!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok granted it was windy today but I was testing out some .308 handloads in a bolt gun. Shot 4 rounds touching then tossed the 5th about 1/2-3/4" away from the rest. Didn't change my cheek weld or anything. Happened a couple of times today. Always the last round... </div></div>

It´s most likely your head,

mentally you are already done with the five round target or perhaps you are afraide to pull the shot and then tense up to du just that thing.

More practice or a different style of shooting might help your results.

/Christian

I wouldn't rule out target panic, but how does your stock fit?

If your LOP is too short, cheek weld may be OK, but you may be getting inconsistent grip pressure and too much finger on the trigger.

I agree with the mind thing.this is always the same case when I am want really bad to see the one ragged hole with a five shot group.

I have lost count of how many times Ive turned a 4 shot 1/4" group into a 1/2" or larger group on the last shot. I too belive is a mental thing and trying to hard.

Try shooting 4 shot groups, or 6 shot groups, and see if still happens..
laugh.gif

Possibly a hot barrel after 4 shots heating the powder up? That would cause the 5th (hot) round to go high right?

Ya choked! J/K

Shoot the dot drill and see if all 5 don't end up where you want them, I 'd bet they do.......

Keith

Happens to me damned near everytime. My dad when I was a kid used to get soooo pissed at me. 4 rounds in the same cluster and then #5 out in left field somewhere. So I have reserved myself to 3 shot groups and say the hell with it. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya choked! J/K

Shoot the dot drill and see if all 5 don't end up where you want them, I 'd bet they do.......

Keith </div></div>

No kidding!

I'm reloading some more test loads tonight. Got a friend that can get me into an indoor range (No WIND! Finally!) so I'm going to go punish the paper with him. Hopefully I don't shoot so bad again that after seeing my target he says "I hope that was that a 12 gauge shooting 00 buck - right?"

Have a buddy load your rifle! Lay in position and let him place the round in the chamber! However, there will be a kicker! A dummy round that you will not know if its live or the dummy! Video and have him watch to see if you anticipate the recoil or shot! This drill will help any shooter out there!

Also, just simply shooting the 22lr. Breath control, Heart beat, Some of the best shooters I have seen shoot appear to be in a freaking coma. The pulse rate is almost at a sleep state. 10-15 beats per minute.

The excitement of seeing a small group gets lots of guys hearts a beating! Like stated by others, Shoot the dot drill! One shot per dot, this will cause you to reposition slightly and refocus! If the 5th dot hits 1/2 to 3/4 right it's probably your barrel.

I had a rifle that after the 15th round you could forget calling your shot! up, down, left, right.

Always go back to the basics!

Terry

I recently noticed that I shot better when I couldn't see the bullet holes in the target. I had no idea if the group was great or lousy until I retreived the target. Try turning the scope down to where you can't see the hits or try a black target like the NRA 50yd smallbore targets that have the small white rings and a black scoring area. You should know where you hit based off your last sight picture any way unless you are still just sighting in for zero.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also, just simply shooting the 22lr. Breath control, Heart beat, Some of the best shooters I have seen shoot appear to be in a freaking coma. The pulse rate is almost at a sleep state. 10-15 beats per minute.
</div></div>

What 10-15 BPM, its that just during the very breaking of the trigger or do you mean that they stay that way during a whole firing sequence,

the very best I can get is 30-35 bpm and then I am about gone, hm I´d better reaserch this further.

Best regards Chris

I think it is more mental than anything. Happens to me a fair amount too. Usually when I'm trying to make a buddy feel bad about his groups, LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARCOREY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently noticed that I shot better when I couldn't see the bullet holes in the target. I had no idea if the group was great or lousy until I retreived the target </div></div>

I know what you mean - years ago I shot an incredible group with a 4 power scope.

Got to the range a couple of days ago and was testing out more loads for my rig. Once again the XBR8208 powder & 175 SMK's didn't impress me. But tried some IMR4895 behind a SMK 190 and POW!! Nice tight group! This is the third time that this load has shot well for me in this rig so it's my load for my new rig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: finnwerke757</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Happens to me damned near everytime. My dad when I was a kid used to get soooo pissed at me. 4 rounds in the same cluster and then #5 out in left field somewhere. So I have reserved myself to 3 shot groups and say the hell with it. LOL
</div></div>

I do the same thing! I used to do that too.

I don't buy into the mental thing. A lot of times, if you're not counting shots, the 'last round distinction' is not all that obvious. If it made a difference, the 'knowing' would be part of the process.

I think comments about cheek welds and other ergonomic issues are more to the point.

I would not be too surprised to find a direct linkage between such occurrances and uncorrected parallax imbalances.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cttbax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Possibly a hot barrel after 4 shots heating the powder up? That would cause the 5th (hot) round to go high right?</div></div> ditto

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deer Assassin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cttbax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Possibly a hot barrel after 4 shots heating the powder up? That would cause the 5th (hot) round to go high right?</div></div> ditto </div></div>

If that is actually the case, you need a new bbl or you need to limit that rifle to 4 shots at a time....which seems a bit useless.

Another test, shoot 4 shot groups and see if your 4th shot is the one out. If so, then its the mental thing rearing its ugly head. If the mental thing wasnt part of the game, folks would be shooting cleans left and right on the NRA HP circuit, but guess what, that doesnt happen. I wonder why? :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would not be too surprised to find a direct linkage between such occurrances and uncorrected parallax imbalances.
Greg </div></div>

This has merit in my mind. That is the last thing I check before touching off the shot so maybe I've got more work to do on this...