• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what is it?

shiftin10

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2011
virginia beach va
My grandfather recently passed away and had a gun that even he didn't know what it is. It is a heavy barrel semi auto rifle that is marked browning. The barrel has a section that comes out the end that appears when it is fired it recoils to move the action. There is a safety on the side that resembles the one on an ak blocking the bolt handle when in the safe position. The gun looks like a WWII sniper rifle but the scope mounts are offset and look like the rings would quick disconnect. Anybody know what it may be? I took pics but can't get them to post bc I haven't got a website to put them on.

Re: what is it?

kacy,

FN Browning Patent 1900

From your description of the "floating barrel" and "AK style safety", it sounded like a Remington Model 8, but the "Browning" made me do a little research. I was not aware anyone except Remington actually manufactured these rifles.

The rifle is a John M. Browning design (U.S. Patent 659,786 / October 16, 1900), which he then sold to Remington for manufacture and sale in the US. Overseas, the rifle was manfactured by FN (Fabrique Nationale) Belgium. There should be a rollmark "FN Browning Patent 1900".

The 1900 was made from 1910-1929, chambered only in .35 Remington, and may be marked 9 m/m.

These are fantastic firearms, and have a resemblance to the Browning A5 shotgun.

Kevin

Now don't tell him that until we get pics, now we'll never get to see what it looks like.

I also would like to see some pics...really curious now...

You are correct about the gun being marked as belgum iv tried uploading to photo bucket and posting on here but the link shows up funny and isn't a hyperlink im trying to figure it out now.

Guys I must not be smart enough to get this phone to post pics from photobucket to the hide but kevin you are correct I goggled the model 8 and that is the rifle. Guess I have alot of reading to do on it. The thing that confuses me now is that it is marked as browning and matches a Remington model 8?

In photo bucket IMG code is the one you want to use to post photos

kacy,

They are essentially the same firearm. It's not a Remington 8, but a "Browning Patent 1900". They are the same design, but JMB sold Remington the rights for US manufacture. The "1900" was made in Belgium by FN (the "real" FN), not intended for import to the US and compete with Remington's "8".

Sent you a PM with a website.

Kevin

kacy,

Be cautious regarding "restore" as it will detract from the value. All you will want to do with this rifle is field strip, maybe a detail strip if you can find a manual, clean, lubricate, then reassemble. Check for function, then shoot it. They are great hog guns, especially in .35 Rem which yours should be. Ammo is available.

Kevin

My problem lies in a cracked stock. I figured I would try to find a solution for that. As I am sure there prob aren't very many originals available. And there is rust internally from lack of care so I need to clean and get rid of the rust. I wouldn't dare refinish the gun or anything like that.