• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is lapua smoking ?

Beladran

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2017
Madison Ms
As am sitting here scouring the World Wide Web looking for center x I can’t help but wonder why the heck lapua added more SKU’s to their line up when they can’t meet demand for the ones they currently have ?

Take the assembly line that produces CenterX,
and pack the cartridges being manufactured there
into newly printed boxes of Lapua Long Range and super Long Range.
Same cartridges, higher prices, more profits, right?
Any problems with accuracy won't be due to manufacturing defects,
it'll be due to wind and shooter error....not mv spread or assembly/component glitches. :unsure:

As am sitting here scouring the World Wide Web looking for center x I can’t help but wonder why the heck lapua added more SKU’s to their line up when they can’t meet demand for the ones they currently have ?
Contrary to legend and lore, a company’s ultimate responsibility is to itself (shareholders etc.) not the customer. Satisfying a customer’s needs is simply a means to that end.

Don't worry....the customer doesn't forget.
LOL, I have found that it is way easier not to forget when it is the service industry, compared to products industries.
I boycotted Coke after their last woke bullshit, a week of Pepsi and I threw the towel.
Ely hasn't done it for me yet, though I ordered a couple bricks of ELY Team for some sporter rifles, maybe my luck will change.
Lapua had us bent over with brass for yrs, same as 22LR now. Not many options here, lol

Reactions: chiroz and learjet
Don't worry....the customer doesn't forget.
Neither does reality.

As I have said MANY times on this forum, customers not doing business with, complaining, letting their friends know, boycotting are all valid reactions in a free market capitalist economy. A consumers responsibly is to himself, his own interests.

As for people “[not forgetting]” in the firearms industry? Please…. I have never seen such a case of Stockholm syndrome in my life.

Lapua went off my preferred list of brass many years ago because of their piss poor attitude.

I get what I can from Alpha. My interactions with them have been stellar. Above and beyond….

Max is correct. The ammo manufacturing plant has a responsibility to make money for its owners. This can be achieved by maximizing production and giving consumers what they want.

Match .22LR ammo has a higher level of demand than ever before, thanks largely to the rapidly and continuing growing interest in rimfire PRS and long range shooting. Many of these shooters prefer .22LR match ammo with the words "Long Range" on it so much so the demand for "Long Range" will outpace supply. The ammo maker would be foolish to deny them what they demand. "Give them what they want. Do they even lot test?"

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
Take the assembly line that produces CenterX,
and pack the cartridges being manufactured there
into newly printed boxes of Lapua Long Range and super Long Range.
Same cartridges, higher prices, more profits, right?
Any problems with accuracy won't be due to manufacturing defects,
it'll be due to wind and shooter error....not mv spread or assembly/component glitches. :unsure:
You couldn't be further from the truth. Its a completely new line.

Here is a hint. Look at the velocity for Centerx/Xact/Midas and look at the velocity for Long Range.

They still offer lot tested cx direct from the factory. If you are not buying lot tested ammo, get new long range.

If you're a poor, just slum it with SK like the rest of us :ROFLMAO:

Here is a hint. Look at the velocity for Centerx/Xact/Midas and look at the velocity for Long Range.
You should plug one ear when he talks, or read around the general message.
As for the new long range ammo, I'd put money on most buyers of the first batch have not even tested it yet. Plus, it hasn't gotten the positive reviews needed yet to keep it in high demand. Of course we want new and better products, that prove themselves.

As for people “[not forgetting]” in the firearms industry? Please…. I have never seen such a case of Stockholm syndrome in my life.
Why the fuck are you singling me out here? LMAO
I do stick with known performers, and absolutely loathe over enthusiasm from producers and fanboys.
In my defense, I did buy a Zeiss LRP S5 last fall, I bypassed Stockholm and went straight to the fatherland.

• Haha
Reactions: Holliday and lash
Who gives a shit if people have tested it yet. Its Lapua, its going to be good. And for the type of application, Its going to be good enough to win a PRS22 match. There is not much else out there and its going to sell well reguardless.

Reactions: Sblzrd65
I do stick with known performers, and absolutely loathe over enthusiasm from producers and fanboys.
You can get CX from the testing centre or get LR from shops off the shelf. Those are your choices... So if you are not lot testing your ammo, they expect you to buy LR not CX, as they are not even offering LR for lot testing.

Reactions: Trung Si Ma
Totally new line?

New graphics, same cardboard box.
Same plastic cartridge tray.
Same assembly line in the same factory with the same technicians.
Same brass, same primer, same powder, same bullet weight/shape.
1106 vs 1070 fps....3% difference in muzzle velocity.
Higher price.

Nope, not a new line, just rebranding the same old, same old.
Chrony reports and results at 100 yards about the same as CenterX
Enough images posted to make that conclusion.

I boycotted Coke after their last woke bullshit, a week of Pepsi and I threw the towel.

Bro. Fuck that Coke shit. Go Barq's.....its the the King of Beers.
20230323_174705.jpg

Totally new line?

Higher price.

Again your ignorance is astounding. You should educate yourself on how match rimfire ammo is made before you keep making a fool of yourself.

I've tried D.....but ya see, you can only find out so much from the folks at Lapua, Eley and RWS.
They'll tell you about batch testing...test barrels...computer recording of results...which is best
second and third best...but when you ask about sample sizes and confidence levels applied
that comes back as "proprietary information", not to be revealed.
They'll tell you about computer imaging inspections to cull defective components,
but they won't tell you the metrics by which the batch labeling is established.
So I'm only as ignorant as those folks who have taken the time to talk with the folks at Eley, RWS and Lapua.
Yep, just another ignorant amateur here. :D

Last edited:
Disdain? :unsure:

Nope, not disdain, CP. :rolleyes:

Just a bit of reality applied to even out the rampant optimism posted previously. ;)

Check the lot numbers, they even indicate which Lapua line it was made on.
No change from existing lot designators for the CenterX, Midas+ or X-Act machines.

Don't forget, I have two bricks of the new Lapua LR and Super LR
I've had time to inspect them and compare to my current stash of CenterX. :sneaky:

Last edited:
Reactions: Geno C. and lash
You can get CX from the testing centre or get LR from shops off the shelf. Those are your choices... So if you are not lot testing your ammo, they expect you to buy LR not CX, as they are not even offering LR for lot testing.
Trust me, I have a lot of Center X.

Until the results on paper bare out the marketing, the serious Rimfire shooters will not be convinced. Consistent Rimfire ammunition is worth paying for. We will soon know whether or not Lapua has actually made headway in this regard.

Totally new line?

Higher price.

So, I should lot testing this stuff! if it is Midas+ and CX there is bunch out there still available.

Lee

Until the results on paper bare out the marketing, the serious Rimfire shooters will not be convinced. Consistent Rimfire ammunition is worth paying for. We will soon know whether or not Lapua has actually made headway in this regard.
Show me a bad lapua product.........I will wait.

This is designed for prs22 and nrl22x. They don't need the same level of accuracy as benchrest shooters. No "serious rimfire shooters" have a need for this ammo. They can keep on keeping on with stand velocity rws, eley, lapua, ect. This is a just a higher end version of SK long range.

You can win any prs22 or nrl22x with this ammo, the same as any other quality match ammo.

The fact we have to explain this means many of you need to read more, think more and post less.

This is designed for prs22 and nrl22x. They don't need the same level of accuracy as benchrest shooters. No "serious rimfire shooters" have a need for this ammo. They can keep on keeping on with stand velocity rws, eley, lapua, ect. This is a just a higher end version of SK long range.

You can win any prs22 or nrl22x with this ammo, the same as any other quality match ammo.

The fact we have to explain this means many of you need to read more, think more and post less.
Pardon me sir, but I have found that mid range Rimfire ammo gives me 15-20% high and low impacts, noticeable from field positions for me, and I’m not even nationally competitive. In fact, the Rimfire prs practice I did today reinforced that fact again. There is an reason many of the serious competitors up here in Canukistan use Eley match, vs lower tier ammo choices. The top end Lapua choices perform similarly. Until this new option performs at the same level of the expensive stuff, meh. Assuming I would drop 2/3 of the points anyway, top tier ammo may give me 5-6 points improvement in a match. That is huge in the top 5.

My SK Long Range does not shoot any better than my SKRM or SKS+, just 40 fps faster. Considering that SKS+ and SKRM struggle to break 1040 fps in all but summer heat for me, and Eley Tennex is a chrono’ed 1093 at the same 5*C when SK is 1013, I am not impressed.

I’m genuinely curious. Do you have inside information as to the production of European quality rimfire ammo or are you just speculating because you think you know?

You say it’s “designed” for PRS/NRL, do you have any solid info on that or are you believing the marketing? What’s different besides it being CX with a hair more powder?

I’m genuinely curious. Do you have inside information as to the production of European quality rimfire ammo or are you just speculating because you think you know?

You say it’s “designed” for PRS/NRL, do you have any solid info on that or are you believing the marketing? What’s different besides it being CX with a hair more powder?
Hrm, Lets slow down and think for a minute.

Why would Lapua come out with a new ammo in the same velocity range as SK Long range?

How many other disciplines shoot 22 LR out past 200 yards?

If you can't understand this, I don't know what to tell you.

What are people in here actually complaining about? Its similar to CX but with more power?

Dont like it, dont fucking buy it. Stop crying.

Reactions: RTH1800
Hrm, Lets slow down and think for a minute.

Why would Lapua come out with a new ammo in the same velocity range as SK Long range?

How many other disciplines shoot 22 LR out past 200 yards?

If you can't understand this, I don't know what to tell you.

What are people in here actually complaining about? Its similar to CX but with more power?

Dont like it, dont fucking buy it. Stop crying.

Ok got it. It’s all speculation from you.

Why would Lapu come out with something similar to SK LR? That’s simple business. Brand recognition is easy. Let’s say they’re exactly the same, the Lapua will sell for more just based off of name.

I think people are bitching at the fact that it’s center x rebranded. Most feel it’s a marketing exercise.

I’m not crying, but you’re making yourself look like a dumbass on something you don’t know about

@Hi-NV Shooter , Lee, when you finally get around to trying a couple boxes,
post what you think of the "new" products.
It'll be difficult to comparative lot test.
Not much inventory to choose from, eh?
Maybe the assembly line lottery will roll in y'er favor. ;)

Why would Lapu come out with something similar to SK LR? That’s simple business. Brand recognition is easy. Let’s say they’re exactly the same, the Lapua will sell for more just based off of name.

I think people are bitching at the fact that it’s center x rebranded. Most feel it’s a marketing exercise.

I’m not crying, but you’re making yourself look like a dumbass on something you don’t know about
Except its not center X. Its a different velocity which means a different run/lines. No one knows if they are using the same powder, but they are using a different charge which means a different run.

Most people who understand this, know that these runs are made, tested and sold depending on how they shoot in their test barrels/fixtures.

Again, for PRS22 and NRL22x, you don't need BR level accuracy to win. Its much more forgiving, the targets are bigger and at the higher levels, score is based on shooter ability and skill, not ammo. Guys win matches with Eley Club and SK Standard Plus all the time.

Its Lapua rimfire ammo designed for long range PRS style shooting. The demand for this type of ammo is through the roof.

This is all common sense and logic. Sorry thats hard.

Do you know this is fact? That it is rebranded CX

Lee

From the limited amount of testing we have done and testing from the group we shoot with, we have seen no gain in velocity. ULrifles, cz's, vudoo ect. It appears to be only a box change.
Note: this is very limited testing. Not normal testing when ammo is available.
Todd

Reactions: lash
@Hi-NV Shooter , Lee, when you finally get around to trying a couple boxes,
post what you think of the "new" products.
It'll be difficult to comparative lot test.
Not much inventory to choose from, eh?
Maybe the assembly line lottery will roll in y'er favor. ;)
I have before, my rifles seem to be able to shoot most any lot of Lapua. my best lot I didn't even test and has given me wins in ARA UL so finding a lot that will shoot is not the problem, it is finding available lots to buy!

You forget:
1- I don't shoot factory barreled rifles
2- I have them chambered for Lapua
3- I use tuners and not just any old Harrell I stick on the barrel. but I test them and match the weight to the barrel.
here is a clue to getting the most out of the ammo. you need a good quality barrel, with this all these defects you speak about is minimized. I have shot ammo that got smashed as I was closing the bolt and to my surprise it still shot the same.

Lee

From the limited amount of testing we have done and testing from the group we shoot with, we have seen no gain in velocity. ULrifles, cz's, vudoo ect. It appears to be only a box change.
Note: this is very limited testing. Not normal testing when ammo is available.
Todd
So, Todd you do think they just changed the box? perhaps I do need to get some and test. did you also check OAL? and if so, how consistent are they?

Lee

I have not checked OAL on any of the LR\SLR. I was hesitant on posting because it is very limited testing. So keep that in mind.
Todd

You forget:
3- I use tuners and not just any old Harrell I stick on the barrel. but I test them and match the weight to the barrel.
here is a clue to getting the most out of the ammo. you need a good quality barrel, with this all these defects you speak about is minimized. I have shot ammo that got smashed as I was closing the bolt and to my surprise it still shot the same.

Nope, not forgotten Lee.
I specifically watch for y'er posts.
I know y'er gear is well above my garage tweaked rigs. :(

Do you know this is fact? That it is rebranded CX

Lee
Nothing concrete, but we’ve tested it and looked at published numbers and real world numbers. It’s tracking almost identical to CX. That’s not just my experience either. We talk with lots of people every day who’ve said the same.

Reactions: todde and lash
Except its not center X. Its a different velocity which means a different run/lines. No one knows if they are using the same powder, but they are using a different charge which means a different run.

Most people who understand this, know that these runs are made, tested and sold depending on how they shoot in their test barrels/fixtures.

Again, for PRS22 and NRL22x, you don't need BR level accuracy to win. Its much more forgiving, the targets are bigger and at the higher levels, score is based on shooter ability and skill, not ammo. Guys win matches with Eley Club and SK Standard Plus all the time.

Its Lapua rimfire ammo designed for long range PRS style shooting. The demand for this type of ammo is through the roof.

This is all common sense and logic. Sorry thats hard.
Keep digging and thinking you’re the smartest in the room.

So your grading example. It’s a big run and then it’s downgraded throughout the QC process. It’s not a whole new production run.

I know what test barrels RWS and Lapua are using for a majority of the grading. I’m aware of the QC process to determine which line its branded as.

Reactions: lash and Milo 2.5
You forget:

Nope, not forgotten Lee.
I specifically watch for y'er posts.
I know y'er gear is well above my garage tweaked rigs. :(
Please understand I wasn't making comment on your gear. I apologize if you took it that way. my journey down that rabbit hole/trap started with 10/22's through Marlin 880SQ's to Falcon customs to now back to good old Anschutz's. FYI all of my rifles with exception of the barrel work, I do in my garage too. I built my first and only 1 piece rest using only a drill press. (The top is a GreenLaw)

I was pointing out there are ways and things that can be done to get the most out of the ammo we are forced to live with. oh, how I wish what I know now I knew back then. :( I sure would have saved a lot of frustration and money for sure.

Lee

Attachments

• 1613-& 1-piece rest.JPG
    1613-& 1-piece rest.JPG
    292.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Reactions: lash and todde
Nothing concrete, but we’ve tested it and looked at published numbers and real world numbers. It’s tracking almost identical to CX. That’s not just my experience either. We talk with lots of people every day who’ve said the same.
If I remember I thought, they changed the heel of the bullet to something of a boattail shape?

Lee

If I remember I thought, they changed the heel of the bullet to something of a boattail shape?

Lee
You should test it. I don't feel like it would be any difference in testing cx\midas.
I don't know about the heal of bullet change because we haven't pulled any of the LR\SLR ,but I will say that I have felt for a long time that Lapua advantage over Eley has been in consistency in heal. Impossible to test for and just observation of pulled bullets over the years.
Todd

• Haha
Reactions: lash and Turbo2
I didnt mean for this to be a poo poo thread on the new ammos just more confused why lapua would do this. I am just a simple country boy in podunk mississippi. I keep hearing about the demand from prs/nrl but out of the 10 billion rounds of 22 we shoot in the USA what % is "match" grade then out of that percent what % is "premium match"? Would this new ammo sell on par with all their biathlon type ammo? I have never heard any announcements that they where spending $Xmillions to build a new line to get into a new market segment (which they are usually proud to do) so it would seem that they are just using the same equipment with slightly different configurations to make this stuff. idk

Reactions: lash

Lee

I know RWS completely redesigned the bullet for their LR ammo coming out, but if Lapua changed it we haven’t noticed it or it wasn’t significant enough for us to note

I didnt mean for this to be a poo poo thread on the new ammos just more confused why lapua would do this. I am just a simple country boy in podunk mississippi. I keep hearing about the demand from prs/nrl but out of the 10 billion rounds of 22 we shoot in the USA what % is "match" grade then out of that percent what % is "premium match"? Would this new ammo sell on par with all their biathlon type ammo? I have never heard any announcements that they where spending $Xmillions to build a new line to get into a new market segment (which they are usually proud to do) so it would seem that they are just using the same equipment with slightly different configurations to make this stuff. idk
LOL, this is Snipers Hide, follow along.
Picking a chamber flag is a major undertaking:

So if a company makes a run of rimfire ammo and there is a velocity discrepancy what do you do?
Do you scrap it? Or do you market it as new and improved? Never been done before, right?