• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What is ligtest light weight hunting pistol that actually works on elk and deer?

NamibHunter

Desert hunter
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
Interested in doing a mountain hunt for elk and deer using a pistol

Found this link, with several options listed. What do you guys use?

I do have a spare Rem700 action that could become a donor for this project, but it looks to me that you do not save a lot weight if you go this route.

Is the Desert Eagle a viable option in 50AE? I am not particularly recoil sensitive, but would probably add a muzzle brake.

Advice would be much appreciated!

Namibian Kudu Hunter

I have carried the Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 magnum and the Ruger Security Six in 357 Magnum into the mountains after deer. Either one was accurate enough and powerful enough for deer out to 75 yards or so. Even out to 100 yards, the limting factor was the shooter not the gun. A lifelong friend has killed innumerable bear and hogs with his Ruger Blackhawk in 44 Magnum.

I have never carried a single shot handgun in the woods after big game, but had a Thompson Center Encore with 12" barrels in 30-30 winchester, 308 winchester, and 223 Remington. They were all accurate enough to take groundhogs from 200-300 yards.

I have carried the Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 magnum and the Ruger Security Six in 357 Magnum into the mountains after deer. Either one was accurate enough and powerful enough for deer out to 75 yards or so. Even out to 100 yards, the limting factor was the shooter not the gun. A lifelong friend has killed innumerable bear and hogs with his Ruger Blackhawk in 44 Magnum.

I have never carried a single shot handgun in the woods after big game, but had a Thompson Center Encore with 12" barrels in 30-30 winchester, 308 winchester, and 223 Remington. They were all accurate enough to take groundhogs from 200-300 yards.

Thank you sir, this is good info. Did you use a scope or open sights?
Any idea of approx total weight for the Ruger plus sight...

I guess the scope has to be small with very long eye relief. What works best?

Looks like 357 Magnum and 44 Magnum are the preferred calibers. Presume a 50AE is “overkill”.... and way heavy.

I only had the scope on the Redhawk once (Leupold 2.5x pistol scope) and I didn't like it. It worked just fine but just felt wrong.

I put the Leupy on the Encore though. It was perfect for how I was using it.

Reactions: hseII
Depends on whether you want a revolver or a single shot.

A TC Encore is hard to beat for its versatility.
Scoped, it can be as accurate as any rifle in practiced hands.

For a hunting revolver, the Ruger Bisley hunter is hard to beat.
Add a good scope, fill the cylinder with stout 45 LC, 454 Casull or 480 Ruger and kill that critter.
Unscoped revolver is a choose your weapon thing. It really depends on your budget, but if you can afford the FA, you won't regret buying it.

You also have custom options from many smiths that specialize in making some really beautiful, functional and accurate revolvers.

Here's a plain Jane 4-5/8 41 Mag Blackhawk that was once pitted, rusty and just plain ugly.

20170212_161851.jpg

I converted it to a Bisley grip frame, trigger and hammer.

Gary Reeder worked it over and now it looks like this.

20180307_135024.jpg

20180307_134856.jpg

I have taken a few whitetails with my 7.5" Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt, I carried it in Colorado elk hunting a few times but never had opportunity
to use it. I am shooting 345 grain hard cast @ 1200 fps, recoil is stout. I would go after any game in north america with that load. When I practiced a lot I was accurate to 150 yards with my 1.75 to 4 weaver scope, 50 yards open sighted. The blackhawks are about 2.75 lbs. Id say go with a 454 Casull and you can shoot 45 colt out of it also.

@Skookum

Hey I'm actually looking at the TC Encore Pro Hunter handgun with a 10-12" .308 barrel due to an upcoming shoulder surgery. How are you shooting/employing yours? I have only shot handguns in a traditional sense.

Pics? Hows the recoil with it? Sights/Optic and mounts? Any info would be appreciated. I am thinking about using a virgin pistol receiver and barrel from eabco.net if that matters.

Depends on whether you want a revolver or a single shot.

A TC Encore is hard to beat for its versatility.
Scoped, it can be as accurate as any rifle in practiced hands.

For a hunting revolver, the Ruger Bisley hunter is hard to beat.
Add a good scope, fill the cylinder with stout 45 LC, 454 Casull or 480 Ruger and kill that critter.
Unscoped revolver is a choose your weapon thing. It really depends on your budget, but if you can afford the FA, you won't regret buying it.

You also have custom options from many smiths that specialize in making some really beautiful, functional and accurate revolvers.

Here's a plain Jane 4-5/8 41 Mag Blackhawk that was once pitted, rusty and just plain ugly.

View attachment 7180406

I converted it to a Bisley grip frame, trigger and hammer.

Gary Reeder worked it over and now it looks like this.

View attachment 7180402

View attachment 7180405

Wow, lovely revolver, a real showpiece now!

Mr. Reeder does good work.

Namib

@Skookum

Hey I'm actually looking at the TC Encore Pro Hunter handgun with a 10-12" .308 barrel due to an upcoming shoulder surgery. How are you shooting/employing yours? I have only shot handguns in a traditional sense.

Pics? Hows the recoil with it? Sights/Optic and mounts? Any info would be appreciated. I am thinking about using a virgin pistol receiver and barrel from eabco.net if that matters.
I don't have it anymore. A co-worker wanted it more than I did, so I sold it to him. I just used the T/C rail and Weaver rings for the 2.5x Leupold pistol scope.

I can't remember my load exactly. I did a lot of experimenting back then with whatever components I had on hand. The 125 grain ballistic tip was a constant though. I used them in the 308 and the 30-30 both. Recoil wasn't bad, but then again, I never hot rodded a load either. I've never been a speed freak, especially with a handgun.

I carried it in my truck while driving around the mountain roads in NC. It rode on the seat next to me along with an old shot bag filled with sand.

As far as accuracy goes, I was always the limiting factor, not the gun. I did however manage to print quite a few 1moa groups at 100 yards with it and take a whole bunch of groundhogs.

Reactions: PBWalsh and hseII
If you go 30 caliber, that 125 ballistic tip is unbeatable.
Recoil is very manageable as long as you don't death grip the pistol. Let it recoil on its own and try to not let the butt come into contact with anything during the recoil phase.
They will shoot right along with the rifle.

Does anybody have experience with the $2500 model in that article from Field and Stream, and is it worth that kind of coin?

Freedom Arms Model 83

Smith and Wesson 5” 629 44 magnum with Speer 270 grain deep curl (gold dot) at 1200fps works very well on elk.
Years ago my dad killed many elk with a 4” 357 with 158gr Bullets, but it’s too light for me and we have way better gear now. A solid chest shot killed many for him, but I like more energy and we have way more grizzly bears now.

Does anybody have experience with the $2500 model in that article from Field and Stream, and is it worth that kind of coin?

Freedom Arms Model 83
That is highly subjective. They won't hit anything that a Ruger Blackhawk won't hit.

The difference is in the strength and the feel. They exude quality. I've only fired one a few times, an aquaintence at the gun club had one. The feel of it is like the tumblers on a bank vault; heavy, oily, buttery smooth clicks that talk to you. When you drop the hammer, it's like springing a bear trap.

Is it worth $2500? ...not to me, but I'm not the market they cater to. No really serious handgunner would blink an eye at forking over that kind of cash for one if they had it.

Freedom Arms Model 83

They are worth every penny. Can be had for significantly less than $2500 if you shop around.

if it’s going to be your primary gun for hunting I would get the 7 1/2 inch barrel.

Reactions: NamibHunter
They are true quality. Blackhawks are great wheel guns but the FA is stronger built and won't need any action work to be butter smooth. That said a tuned blackhawk is a good feeling gun. We got on a handgun kick for last year's meat does and killed one with a 9mm STI, 454 Casull Redhawk and a Smith 329PD 44 mag. For doe sized eastern whitetail all killed well. I have always like 45 long colt in a hunting round too. For your use I'd want a big bore 44 mag, 454 or 45 LC from a 7.5" wheel gun and choose the right range for energy transfer. A T/C would fit the bill but I guess I'm a purest when it comes to pistol hunting guns.

Last edited:
They are true quality. Blackhawks are great wheel guns but the FA is stronger built and won't need any action work to be butter smooth. That said a tuned blackhawk is a good feeling gun. We got on a handgun kick for last year's meat does and killed one with a 9mm STI, 454 Casull Redhawk and a Smith 329PD 44 mag. For doe sized eastern whitetail all killed well. I have always like 45 long colt in a hunting round too. For your use I'd want a big bore 44 mag, 454 or 45 LC from a 7.5" wheel gun and choose the right range for energy transfer. A T/C would fit the bill but I guess I'm a purest when it comes to pistol hunting guns.

Thanks guys, very helpful!

The S&W 329 pd is the lightest 44 by far, also available in 357 mag. It wouldn’t be my choice for hunting, but it will do the job.

The TC contender is a great choice for a single shot pistol. A bit lighter and smaller than the encore.

Really any pistol in an appropriate caliber is fine. What do you shoot best?

I like the Smith revolvers best. Like their triggers.

Pistol scope is a good idea?

Hard to go wrong with a smith revolver.

Scope vs open sights depends on your hunting style and ability. Scoped handguns May have special regulations for big game hunting in some areas.

Personally, I don’t like scopes on revolvers
But if my eyes go bad some day, I will probably change my tune...

Pistol scopes can be very hard to use if you have limited experience.
I would suggest a small reflex sight (Burris fastfire for example) on top as long as it's legal where you are hunting.
My eyes are getting to the point that some kind of optic will be needed in the next few years.

Have you considered 45-70?

O wow, those
are big revolvers.

Had no idea revolvers were made in 45-70 and even 50-70.

Must be a collector’s item if RIA is selling them at action.

Impressive! Thanks for posting Mr. Lee.

Pistol scopes can be very hard to use if you have limited experience.
I would suggest a small reflex sight (Burris fastfire for example) on top as long as it's legal where you are hunting.
My eyes are getting to the point that some kind of optic will be needed in the next few years.

Thanks the detail Mike. I have not shot a pistol or revolver with a scope, but very comfortable with a red dot/reflex sight on a hand gun. Probably the best option to go for initially.

Just curious: What is the Effective hunting range of a hand gun with a reflex sight?

I meant “in the hands of an amateur”... (new to pistol hunting).... and partly due to the limitations of the optics... assuming say a 44 Magnum revolver with a 6” barrel aiming at white tail deer?

Your practice sessions will determine your effective range.

For some people, the effective range of a pistol is right at the end of the muzzle. It might be 50 yards for the guy next to him.
Maybe 75 yards for the next guy.
Some can stretch that to 200yds.

It all depends on you...

It's not like the 44 Mag is a 300 yd cartridge anyway.