• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is Ramshot TAC good for?

Ishallbie O'Cullkillin

Central Coastranger
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2007
Oregon
First off, just know that I'm not too lazy to do the load development. I've had this 8# of TAC for almost 8 years, and tried it in .308, multiple bullet weights. Also in .223, and 6.5 Grendel. Tac was edged out, accuracy wise, in all my phases of testing, so before I condemn it to load blasting ammo with mixed head stamp brass and the worst quality pulled bullets I ever got suckered into buying, I thought I would ask around to see if anyone has a go-to, or a pet load using TAC, any caliber.

I've found it to work pretty well for light 223's (50 and 55 gr) and 204 ruger but nothing that I can't beat or replicate with H335 or other powders. So essentially, I'm in the same boat as far as tac goes, none of the calibers I shoot had it perform the best. 204 ruger it was really close but Xterminator outdid it there.

That's what I came closest to using it for, was 55gr FMJs, but used up the last of the 2230-c instead. The 2230-c load was more accurate. I get a lot of Muzzle flash with Xterminator in the carbines, so was looking at pushing the heavies in 18"-20" barrels.

I used it in 223/5.56 with a 55g HPFB Varmint Nightmare, 24.5g TAC. Had very good results with it, it's my go to bulk powder. I shoot it out of an M4 V5 DD 16" AR and my DD 11.5" SBR, both suppressed with a SAS M-455. Very consistent, excellent measuring powder.

I have had great results with it however my bolt gun shoots almost anything thru a ragged hole.

42.5grs with a 175gr bullet has always yielded good results.

OP, If you have most of the jug remaining, I'll pay shipping + Haz to me..........

Last edited:
I like Tac with surplus brass and bullets. Some LC and 147 pulls over 43.2 TAC at 2.800. Goes bang in pretty much any 308 rifle and good for just plinking steel, swap out with a 150 power point for some cheap deer ammo.

I used it with cheap 75s to shoot reduced course HP matches. If it wasn't an X or ten, I did something wrong.

One of my .223 loads is 23.6gr TAC pushing a 75gr hornady BTHP. Load to PMAG length and blast away.

It works very well in my 16" suppressed precision AR.

Tac is good behind heavy 223 rounds, I use it exclusively for 77gr precision loads. It meters very well in a progressive press and you can make 223 loads that perform well out to 800. It is a bit temp sensitive though in higher heats.

Heavy .223's 69 and up. Same with .308. It's popular for service rifle.

Tac is good behind heavy 223 rounds, I use it exclusively for 77gr precision loads. It meters very well in a progressive press and you can make 223 loads that perform well out to 800. It is a bit temp sensitive though in higher heats.

Same here. Got some of my best groups with TAC and heavy (69-77gr) match grade bullets.

First off, just know that I'm not too lazy to do the load development. I've had this 8# of TAC for almost 8 years, and tried it in .308, multiple bullet weights. Also in .223, and 6.5 Grendel. Tac was edged out, accuracy wise, in all my phases of testing, so before I condemn it to load blasting ammo with mixed head stamp brass and the worst quality pulled bullets I ever got suckered into buying, I thought I would ask around to see if anyone has a go-to, or a pet load using TAC, any caliber.

My grendel loves 28.2 grains of tac behind 120 grain berger.

I use it behind the 87-gr V-Max in a blown-out 6BR Remington case. The load I use will put 5 shots into 2 inches or less at 425 yards, and has proven itself past 550 yards against prairie dogs.

Richard

i use tac in the dillon 1050 to mass produce, 223, 6.5 grendel, 308 147 gr and 30-06 for the garand. It meters great and i haven't had any issues in 12 years of loading with it.
cheers.

Thanks guys. I've done my share of " just load 'em up and blast away" type of loading, and over time, keep stumbling on accuracy nodes. Some of my pet loads in .308 shoot very well in all my rifles, and those are the elusive OCW type loads that I'm looking for.