• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What is the best 5.56 scope?

Tigger

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2013
Hello gents, I put together a nice AR that shoots very well.

DPMS sportical upper
light contour 16" barrel 1-9 twist
dpms lower
TiN coated BCG, Hammer, safety selector, trigger
Daniel defense free float rail
magpul buttstock with friction lock
jp enterprises recoil eliminator
magpul mbus sights
Harris bipod w/ leaf springs

I'd like to get the most out of this rifle as my first five shot group could be covered with a quarter. It was only from 100 yards though. Any thoughts on a great scope would be appreciated. Attached is a picture before I put the recoil eliminator on.

Attachments

• bleh 3.jpg
    bleh 3.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 46
Get the most out of the rifle doing what with it? You have to let us know the use so we can recommend the proper tool for the job.

What are you going to use your AR for? The answer to your question depends on it. There are more optics for an AR than any other platform I can think of, and what's your budget?

I'd like to stay around $1500 for a scope.

I want to use it for precision shooting. I'd like to put an ace out at 300 yards and see how close I can get to the spade.

IMO, the best bang for your buck, will last the rest of your life with no questions asked lifetime warranty, great resale value if needed = 4-16x50 FFP vortex pst for about $900 bucks. Pick your mil or moa flavor. Slap on a $210 dollar QD larue LT158 10moa cant mount and you're golden.

pic with sunshade on:
IMG_5859_zps46c63256.jpg

IMG_5947_zpsffdaa926.jpg

also on my .223 varmint EOP:
IMG_5857_zpsfd140bc7.jpg

I want to use it for precision shooting. I'd like to put an ace out at 300 yards and see how close I can get to the spade.

Last edited:

There's a plethora of scopes to choose and I'm sure people will share their personal favorites. Will you consistently be using the same ammo (do you reload or purchase) and bullet size? How are you with adjusting to the weather?

So, you want to shoot ace holes? There are any number of 9x to 20x variables that will fit your budget. Also I'd recommend a mil dot or mil scale reticle instead of a duplex. The Nightforce 2.5-10x with a mil dot reticle would be a good choice.

PS Get a scope where the turret and reticle use the same units, for example, mil/mil or MOA/MOA.

Last edited:
There's a plethora of scopes to choose and I'm sure people will share their personal favorites. Will you consistently be using the same ammo (do you reload or purchase) and bullet size? How are you with adjusting to the weather?

I've been using 55 grain 5.56 rounds, I'll eventually start reloading. I currently only shoot at my ranch in norther CA when I'm home on leave. There isn't much wind, light conditions will be the most likely obstacle.

So, you want to shoot ace holes? There are any number of 9x to 20x variables that will fit your budget. Also I'd recommend a mil dot or mil scale reticle instead of a duplex. The Nightforce 2.5-10x with a mil dot reticle would be a good choice.

That scope seems like it would be good for what I've described, and shooting a little farther out as well.

I'm attracted to this Razor, but I may want to have more magnification.
Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6x24mm Rifle Scope w/ JM-1 BDC Reticle RZR-16003 FREE S&H RZR-16003. Vortex Rifle Scopes.

IMO, the best bang for your buck, will last the rest of your life with no questions asked lifetime warranty, great resale value if needed = 4-16x50 FFP vortex pst for about $900 bucks. Pick your mil or moa flavor. Slap on a $210 dollar QD larue LT158 10moa cant mount and you're golden.

I just watched the video about that scope, it seems like it may be what I'm looking for. My concern would be its size on a 16" barrel, but I don't think it will bother me too much. Thoughts?

That seems like a really nice scope, I wish they had a promo video like the vortex scopes have. What are your thoughts on this guy? I'm afraid it won't have the magnification power that I may want. I don't expect to shoot ace holes haha, I'd like to see how close I can get though. I have good marksmanship fundamentals.

I like the Trijicon 1-4 with either a red or green triangle post site. Check out the prices at SportOptics, last time I looked they were on sale.

I just put the night force 2.5 - 10 on one I just built , and I zeroed it today and I love it !

The Nightforce 2.5-10x with a mil dot reticle would be a good choice.

I have the NP-R2 reticle in mine and the only thing I am going to change is put the external knobs on it ($350 and a trip to/from NF) unless they will put an MOAR reticle in it. It cost me $1000 on EBay. You may find another there or here for about $1200-1500, but the 32mm version is out there also, and performs just as well. Before this, I had the Weaver 3-10x40 mil/mil from Midway (usually on sale for $299) and it was actually a pretty decent piece of glass.
2011-06-26_13-20-57_412.jpg

yeah, it might be too much for a 16", but then again..... I know a bunch of people that wouldn't think twice about putting this scope on a 16" LMT. I think when it boils down to it, it is all about your intended purposes... I think this scope would be great for shooting bug holes if that is what you're going for.... and with a QD mount you could easy move it to another rifle platform.

I just watched the video about that scope, it seems like it may be what I'm looking for. My concern would be its size on a 16" barrel, but I don't think it will bother me too much. Thoughts?

So, you want to shoot ace holes?

Hah! 1EJ you get the "So this seal walked into a club" sneaky joke award for the day :)

+1 on the triji accupoints. the german #4 reticle on the 1-4X is bad ass if you're doing any dark work. On 2-3 power, the glass is very very bright and the tritium dot is just right on critters needing killed with out being overpowering. I run four of them now, two 1-4's and 1 3-9x crosshair amber dot on each of my back door shooters/tractor gun and a 2-10 red triangle on my replacement 22-250.

No batteries to run out either. Something about that #4 reticle, kinda like tailor made for lowlight/night shooting The heavy side bars to a duplex type fine line green/amber dot and only a fine line at the top. It's just really easy to sweep & find, then bracket critter, verify dot placement on the boiler room and squeeze trigger. More so than with any of my other scopes. Not wanting to bash anyone elses gear, these are what work for me.

Cheers,
Breeze

Hey Elfster.....think it can shoot 1/2 MOA all day long? I'm so glad I only make minute of fox claims....phew!

Hah! 1EJ you get the "So this seal walked into a club" sneaky joke award for the day :)

+1 on the triji accupoints. the german #4 reticle on the 1-4X is bad ass if you're doing any dark work. On 2-3 power, the glass is very very bright and the tritium dot is just right on critters needing killed with out being overpowering. I run four of them now, two 1-4's and 1 3-9x crosshair amber dot on each of my back door shooters/tractor gun and a 2-10 red triangle on my replacement 22-250.

No batteries to run out either. Something about that #4 reticle, kinda like tailor made for lowlight/night shooting The heavy side bars to a duplex type fine line green/amber dot and only a fine line at the top. It's just really easy to sweep & find, then bracket critter, verify dot placement on the boiler room and squeeze trigger. More so than with any of my other scopes. Not wanting to bash anyone elses gear, these are what work for me.

Cheers,
Breeze

Hey Elfster.....think it can shoot 1/2 MOA all day long? I'm so glad I only make minute of fox claims....phew!
I've used ACOGs before, and I've had a problem with the red chevron being too bright and had to put tape on the fiber optic because it was taking in too much light and the reticle isn't adjustable. The edges of the chevron blur, and I'd rather not be putting electrical tape or the sticker from a buddy's copenhagen can on something I spend good money on. Have you had this problem with your Accupoint?

PS Get a scope where the turret and reticle use the same units, for example, mil/mil or MOA/MOA.

Since I'm logical, I would never expect the turret and reticle to be in different units. Thanks for highlighting this.

I've used ACOGs before, and I've had a problem with the red chevron being too bright and had to put tape on the fiber optic because it was taking in too much light and the reticle isn't adjustable. The edges of the chevron blur, and I'd rather not be putting electrical tape or the sticker from a buddy's copenhagen can on something I spend good money on. Have you had this problem with your Accupoint?

That's a negative Ghostrider. The accu-points have an adjustable collar over the widow for the fiber optic portion, just ahead of the power ring, that can opened or closed to fit the situation you're in. I tend to leave mine open and when needed, twist to fit the situation.

I mention it because I do a fair amount of reactive shooting....mostly cause I can't set a snare or trap worth a shit. I'm continually turning around and seeing 'yote trotting in or out and have to snap off a quick shot from some pretty retarded positions. You have to take the shot as it's presented to you, day or night. For those reasons, the triji accupoints have been replacing my nikons/leupy's/zeiss/meoptas on my snapshot guns. I've shot them from the roof of the barn when making repairs, you just don't know when one's going to trot up on you.

Last edited:
Hello gents, I put together a nice AR that shoots very well.

DPMS sportical upper
light contour 16" barrel 1-9 twist
dpms lower
TiN coated BCG, Hammer, safety selector, trigger
Daniel defense free float rail
magpul buttstock with friction lock
jp enterprises recoil eliminator
magpul mbus sights
Harris bipod w/ leaf springs

I'd like to get the most out of this rifle as my first five shot group could be covered with a quarter. It was only from 100 yards though. Any thoughts on a great scope would be appreciated. Attached is a picture before I put the recoil eliminator on.

If you can go to $1600 Midway is having a sale on Nightforce NXS scopes. For $1600 you can get the NXS 5.5-22X56 scope with high speed turrets and zero stop. That's what I would choose. I have that scope but with a 50mm objective lens on 3 AR's.

If you can go to $1600 Midway is having a sale on Nightforce NXS scopes. For $1600 you can get the NXS 5.5-22X56 scope with high speed turrets and zero stop. That's what I would choose. I have that scope but with a 50mm objective lens on 3 AR's.

I think this is a good scope, I like how the reticle size doesn't change when you zoom in.

That's a negative Ghostrider. The accu-points have an adjustable collar over the widow for the fiber optic portion, just ahead of the power ring, that can opened or closed to fit the situation you're in. I tend to leave mine open and when needed, twist to fit the situation.

That's really good to know. I want to be able to zoom up to 10 power for carbine. I think this would be perfect for my next AR. One time at the range the armory issued me a M16 with a broken ACOG and the reticle would wonder. I had to rezero the gun every day, and as soon as I changed positions it would be totally off again and I'd have to walk the shots into the center. It was not a fun range.

I have the NP-R2 reticle in mine and the only thing I am going to change is put the external knobs on it ($350 and a trip to/from NF) unless they will put an MOAR reticle in it. It cost me $1000 on EBay. You may find another there or here for about $1200-1500, but the 32mm version is out there also, and performs just as well. Before this, I had the Weaver 3-10x40 mil/mil from Midway (usually on sale for $299) and it was actually a pretty decent piece of glass.
2011-06-26_13-20-57_412.jpg

The NXS 2.5-10x24 is great scope, but hard to find at a reasonable price since NightForce stopped making them. Saw one listed for $1900 on this forum and it went immediately. If you have this amount of coin to spend you might want to looks at Leupold's Mk6 1-6, which has the daylight bright reddot.

Does anyone have experience with the Razor HD Gen II?

Just got one a couple weeks ago and went out the other day to zero it and do some shooting. I think it's an excellent optic. Built well with very good glass and a nice big eye box when it's down on 1x. I'd highly recommend it. If you wanted more power then Vortex is also offering a 2.5-10x32 scope now which is very nice and runs about $699 on the street.

photo29_zpse6fbf5a9.jpg

photo30_zpsc6c0522f.jpg

photo31_zps0d99f582.jpg

Those Vortex FF scopes sure are nice for shooting tiny groups. Leupold Mk4 and Nightforce are good options. The SWFA Super Sniper HD scopes are also good.

Just got one a couple weeks ago and went out the other day to zero it and do some shooting. I think it's an excellent optic. Built well with very good glass and a nice big eye box when it's down on 1x. I'd highly recommend it. If you wanted more power then Vortex is also offering a 2.5-10x32 scope now which is very nice and runs about $699 on the street.

photo29_zpse6fbf5a9.jpg

photo30_zpsc6c0522f.jpg

photo31_zps0d99f582.jpg

I think I'm going to go with the nightforce, but I'm stragely attracted to this Razor. Is that hornady hand rail setup heavy?

Here's a 3-9x40, see the yaller window on the eyepiece? That's your fiber window, that's a rotating sleeve that covers the window control brightness.
Triji3to9fiberoptic_zps0582c2a7.jpg

It now sits on this 17fireball and is a killing machine
RedFox_zpsba078491.jpg

The rifle is an 18" POF so it's a little heavier than a DI AR but not bad. I have a Seekins Precision SP3G upper coming soon for my Seekins lower and the Razor 1-6 will go on it and the rifle above will wear a Vortex PST 2.5-10x32.

Lots of good opinions on here. My vote is spend $350 on a Leupold Mark AR 3-9 Mod 1 with the mil-dot reticle and mil-dot turrets, and spend the remaining on a good scope base, reloading setup, and ammo. I personally think that with an AR you want to keep the weight down to the bear minimum. It is after all just a .223. Think less = more.

Leupold Mark AR 3-9X Mod 1 Rifle Scope - YouTube

For a 1:9 16 inch barrel shooting 55gr, I'd go with a Trijicon 1-4x24 with the German reticule. I know you said you were wanting 10x in your optic, but there is no 10x that I know of with a true 1x lower end that I see being more important with a carbine than longer range capability.

Reasoning here is utility.

It's a 16 inch carbine shooting the M193/55gr projectile, not a long range platform where you're looking to get out past 700 yards with. I had seen a mention of an ACOG but my issue with the ACOGS is that they are a fixed power and offer a smaller FOV at closer distances (the distances you normally use a carbine for); the 1-4 offers a true 1x and can be used just like a red dot site (but will have some slight parallax, but you train for CQB so the offset is probably negligible anyways).

4x will be enough to get you out on steel to 400-500. I know the .223 round can travel, but any further and I'd say you're bringing the wrong tool with you.

Interestng thread... I am not spring chicken anymore and as I age, like a fine wine, I find that the idea 1 X per 100 yards does not work as well for me. I guess the idea of the best scope is more related to how you intend to use your weapon.

Having said that my Eotech is fantastic upto 200 yards, with BZ, although I am not looking sub MOA. My Leupold mk6 1-6 is awesome in a variety of roles... Ultimately, if you just want to punch holes in paper the more power you have the better. Based on your price point I might suggest you look at Leupold AR series or US Optics.

Love my NF 2.5-10x32, picked it up used on another site and could not be happier.

Only gripe is that I wished it had Mil turrets to go along with the Gen2 Mil Dot reticle.

SPR_AMMO_2_SM.jpg[\img]

OP is shooting 3/4" 5 shot groups with crappy irons (MBUS) out of a basically stock crappy upper (DPMS Sportical) with ammo that is only spec'd to shoot 2 MOA (55 grn surplus) and he needs a scope to squeeze more out of this ??? Sounds umm ... unlikely.

If it were me, I would have spent some of the scope budget on a different build.

For a 1:9 16 inch barrel shooting 55gr, I'd go with a Trijicon 1-4x24 with the German reticule. I know you said you were wanting 10x in your optic, but there is no 10x that I know of with a true 1x lower end that I see being more important with a carbine than longer range capability.

It's a 16 inch carbine shooting the M193/55gr projectile, not a long range platform where you're looking to get out past 700 yards with. I had seen a mention of an ACOG but my issue with the ACOGS is that they are a fixed power and offer a smaller FOV at closer distances (the distances you normally use a carbine for); the 1-4 offers a true 1x and can be used just like a red dot site (but will have some slight parallax, but you train for CQB so the offset is probably negligible anyways).

4x will be enough to get you out on steel to 400-500. I know the .223 round can travel, but any further and I'd say you're bringing the wrong tool with you.
Here is a 1-10:

1-10 x 26 35mm SFP ELIMINATOR - LTS ILLUM MP-8 XTREME-X1 RETICLE
SKU# 1-10 x 26 L.T.S. 35mm

Be the first to review this product

Availability: In stock

$2,375.00
Add to Wishlist
| Add to Compare
Quick OverviewNew for 2012 is our lightweight tactical 1-10 x 26 L.T.S. The scope is a second focal plane scope with our super bright Hot Orange illuminated dot and our new MP-8 XTREME X1 reticule. HD style 35mm rings are included! .
More Views
DetailsOur new 1-10x26 ELIMINATOR - LTS (Light Tactical Scope) is a second focal plane, more basic, more affordable version of our feature packed ELIMINATOR. Super bright illuminated dot on our new MP-8 XTREME X1 reticule. Perfect compact scope for CQB aplications inside 25 yards and also long range engagements up to 1000 yards. NEW EXPOSED tactical knobs with "zero" reset feature. The new knobs have 0.1 MRAD clicks and a total of 35 MILS (120 MOA) of adjustment. Premium Tactical rings of your choice are included in the price. Use low rings on bolt action rifles, medium rings on AR 10's and FN-FAL's and high rings on AR flat tops. Our 1 piece QD Tactical mount is also available as an option for $75.Additional InformationIn Depth TECHNICAL FEATURES
MAGNIFICATION ..... 1-10x
OBJECTIVE SIZE .....26MM
FIELD OF VIEW (100 YDS.) .....128-12 FT.
EXIT PUPIL ..... 2.6- 26 mm
EYE RELIEF ..... 3.5 INCH
DIOPTRICAL ADJUSTMENT ..... -3 TO +3 DPT.
RETICLE-TOTAL ADJUSTMENT RANGE .....35 MRAD or 120 MOA@100yds
CLICK VALUE .....0.1 MRAD @ 100yds
TUBE DIAMETER .....35 MM
LENGTH .....11 INCH
WEIGHT .....25 OZ.

.Email to a Friend

Very good advice!

When I asked myself the same question to scope a 16" 1/7 my search lead me to the USO 1-8X day light red dot.

I'd like to get the most out of this rifle as my first five shot group could be covered with a quarter. It was only from 100 yards though.

????? With results like that, it sounds like you are getting the most out of it already. Sub 0.75 MOA with back-up sights. How much more potential could there be to wring out of this thing?

OP is shooting 3/4" 5 shot groups with crappy irons (MBUS) out of a basically stock crappy upper (DPMS Sportical) with ammo that is only spec'd to shoot 2 MOA (55 grn surplus) and he needs a scope to squeeze more out of this ??? Sounds umm ... unlikely.

If it were me, I would have spent some of the scope budget on a different build.

I built this about a year ago, the goal was to use mid range parts with many good reviews. Since I'd only shot M16s in the corps, that gun feels amazing to me, and in my opinion one of the best upgrades is a trigger assembly. The pull makes a big difference. I know that the bullet will go where I intend, so I want to get a nice scope because my scope experience is limited to zeroing an ACOG for 200 yards and then using Kentucky windage back to 500 yards. I don't need a red dot to do any CQB, I do CQB every week and regular iron sights are just fine. This scope isn't intended to stay with my AR permanently, I may put it on another rifle in the future. I do want to see how accurate my first AR is at 500 yards, and I'd like to see how far out I can hit a man silhoutte. If I change the bipod I may shoot tighter, the leaf springs allow for you to cant the rifle left or right.

????? With results like that, it sounds like you are getting the most out of it already. Sub 0.75 MOA with back-up sights. How much more potential could there be to wring out of this thing?

I'll probably start loading my own rounds, and with the zoom without the reticle growning I should be able to put the shot where I want it at 500 yards. I currently just aim center mass with iron sights and hit black on the man silhouette at 500 every time. I want to aim at the head at 500 and hit it every time.

I'll probably start loading my own rounds, and with the zoom without the reticle growning I should be able to put the shot where I want it at 500 yards. I currently just aim center mass with iron sights and hit black on the man silhouette at 500 every time. I want to aim at the head at 500 and hit it every time.

FYI the button to the right of reply with quote is multi quote, so you don't have to make separate posts...

I do CQB for work, this is my gun for personal use. Fun, carrying around my ranch, outshooting my family members... and who knows when I'm a civilian again maybe getting into some sort of shooting competitions. When I built it I planned on putting an Eotech on it but eventually decided I wanted something more.

FYI the button to the right of reply with quote is multi quote, so you don't have to make separate posts...

You're an angel.

Here's a pic of my buddy shooting it with the JP recoil eliminator on it. The eliminator works great, but it's kind of... obnoxious. Really loud and the gas blasts anything on the sides. If I took that to a civilian range the gas would blast the shooter on both sides of me, it would be a dick move. I may take that off and use it when I built an AR with a 22" barrel in the future.

Attachments

• bleh 2.jpg
    bleh 2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 41
For your budget, I'd look at NightForce 5.5-22x56 on a Larue QD mount. This set-up can easily be swapped between all your rifles.

My vote is a Leupold Mark AR 3-9 with the mil-dot reticle and speed yardage turret