• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is the best powder scale

Outback

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2009
Texas
I want to buy a good quality powder scale without a thrower to double check my loads . Any ideas?

Re: What is the best powder scale

Geordie,

The Acculab 123 is a great way to check/fine tune your powder charge. It's accurate to .02 grains, instead of the common .1 grains. It runs about $240. Most other scales are only good to .1 grains. I like mine a lot.

Chad

RCBS beam scale works for me. I have an older version of this one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=415607

I got it along with a powder thrower and some reloading dies at a local yard sale for 50$
smile.gif

The Acculab 123 is a great scale, but I have to let mine warm up before I use it, Ive seen on here where some shooters leave theres on 24/7 which probably addresses that issue. If I just turn it on and go to loading it wont hold zero well, and dont plug it in the same power strip with a flourescent light, that will mess with it too. Theres a guy on 6mmbr.com somewhere that will give the RCBS "balance beam" scales a work over and it supposedly tunes them up a bit. I think he sells them already tweaked as well. Whatever you get you need a set of check weights so you can periodically check your calibration cause scales of any flavor are touchy and can get out of whack.

I use the RCBS 10-10 beam balance to set my Redding BR2 measure. Never worry about batteries, easy to use, accurate,and lasts forever. I previously had bad luck with RCBS/Lyman electronic so got rid of it.

"What is the best powder scale"

If there were a clear answer to that it would dominate the market. As you can see above, no scale does that. They are all good, mostly it boils down to what seems best to us and how we like to work.

I worked a long time as an electronix instruments calibration and repairman. No digital anything gets on my bench unless it's given to me, I won't pay for that quirky stuff.

My powder scale is a '65 year old version of the RCBS (Ohaus made) 1010 and it's still as perfectly dependable and accurate today as it was when new. But, to be honest, any current beam scale from Redding, Lyman or RCBS would be just as good.

If you do get a beam, set it up on a shelf or box where it's about chin high so it's easy to read, not down on the damp bench top please!

(With all due respect, the RCBS 1500 is a digital dumpster, not a simple scale. And, IMHO, it's vastly over priced for a Chinese made tool with a two year warranty.)

I use the Dillon electronic scale. Sometimes bounces in between 1/10th grains, but works great.

How about suggestions on the best electronic and the best beam.

Go with the RCBS so you can hook it up to the thrower if you ever want one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"What is the best powder scale"

If there were a clear answer to that it would dominate the market. As you can see above, no scale does that. They are all good, mostly it boils down to what seems best to us and how we like to work.

I worked a long time as an electronix instruments calibration and repairman. No digital anything gets on my bench unless it's given to me, I won't pay for that quirky stuff.

My powder scale is a '65 year old version of the RCBS (Ohaus made) 1010 and it's still as perfectly dependable and accurate today as it was when new. But, to be honest, any current beam scale from Redding, Lyman or RCBS would be just as good.

If you do get a beam, set it up on a shelf or box where it's about chin high so it's easy to read, not down on the damp bench top please!

(With all due respect, the RCBS 1500 is a digital dumpster, not a simple scale. And, IMHO, it's vastly over priced for a Chinese made tool with a two year warranty.)</div></div>

What makes you say that? Have problems with it?

"(With all due respect, the RCBS 1500 is a digital dumpster, not a simple scale. And, IMHO, it's vastly over priced for a Chinese made tool with a two year warranty.) -- What makes you say that? Have problems with it?"

No. But please note I gave clear facts of what a 1500 is, gave my qualifictions and then stated my humble opinion of it, don't feel any need to justify it. Your opinion may vary but that's okay by me.

But, I would ask if you expect a digital anything to last 45 years, as is my old 1010 scale has so far and still going strong? I sure don't!
smile.gif

I have a Dillon balance beam. The only reason I have that instead of my old RCBS is because I dropped the green one down a flight of steps. I ordered the Dillon and after it arrived, I decided to check the RCBS against it. Guess what- the RCBS was still accurate(even checked it with weights).

Good advice on getting a set of check weights. They cost a pittance compared to the peace of mind you will have.

david

I, too, favor a Rock Chucker Bullet Swage "vintage" balance beam (closest modern equivalent is the 505) for measuring powder charges. I find that digitals are generally no more accurate, they require warm-up time, and they can be more susceptible to air currents and vibrations than mechanical scales.

On the flip side, I do have a digital for sorting components by weight. I simply zero it with a bullet, for example, and then I can sort the rest of the batch based on the +/- variation from that bullet. With a balance beam, I would have to weigh each and every one by moving my tenth-grain adjustment, which would be tedious and time-consuming. I do have to plug in my digital an hour or so before I need to use it and make sure I work on a cool day or night, so I don't need a fan or AC, but it has its place on my bench. My digital is an RCBS 750.