• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what is the best scale for the money?

Re: what is the best scale for the money?

in part it depends upon where you are going to use it.

I had so many problems in my garage that using an electronic scale was not possible. I have and use a Ohaus 10-10 (RCBS - by another name) that I picked up used on Ebay for $100.00. Then had Scott Parker tune it. It is stunningly accurate and repeatable. I throw and trickle every round. and the scale shows every kernel of powder that hits the pan.

JeffVN

Ohaus make the 10-10 and 505 scales I'd guess the 502 also. I don't know about the RC130. I've used the 505 since I started reloading, about 13 years. I'd say either the 505 or 10-10 would do well for you.

Where can I get more info on the scale tuning?

I found scott on the accurate shooter.com site. Do a search for scale tuning on that site. Scott is good people. he responded quickly to emails, and his fee was nominal. If I can find his email I'll post it here.

Used to be he had a steady supply of Ohaus 10-10s on hand and would sell you a tuned one for less than a new one.

Jeffvn

I recently picked up a Dillon Eliminator scale, very happy with it! Its made by Ohaus, the same people who make the RCBS scale, but is cheaper from Dillon.

Lee's little "Safety Scale" is very sensitive and very accurate so a lot of guys use it. But it's sorta a PITA to use because it's so light it bumps around easily unless we are very careful.

Dillon's verson of the Ohaus 505 is probably the best deal.

I congradulate anyone with a digital scale that works well for very long but that's not the norm.

I've had an older RCBS for a long time and just picked up a Dillon as part of a package deal. pretty much have switched over to using the dillon for the most part. the pan is a little bigger, the scale stops motion a little quicker and just seems to be easier to use. I still keep the RCBS around for when i'm confirming a load or the dillon just seemed a bit off, but it was always spot on..

keep thinking I need to get an electronic scale but with the 550 and dillon scale I have most of my bases covered I think.

Cigarcop - sorry to hear about your experience. I know he fixed mine, as it is now repeatable and accurate to single grains of powder. I can see where he sharpened the balance wedge gizmo.

JeffVN

I have a RCBS 505 that came in the kit. I have been happy with it. It is accurate and easy to use. I can trickle powder in and tell when each grain hits the pan and I never had to pay someone to "tune" it.

Based upon the $ you paid for the press, the least expensive scale would be a Lee balance beam. Probably, could find one on Ebay.

To the OP, please take this for what it is, life experiance:
If you are like me, the cheepest or least expensive as it should be called "reloading tool" wheather it be a scale or something else is always going to be the best quality one out there (not always the most expensive) for what you are doing. By this I mean match the gear to the game: I am into precision and in my quest for that I have owned way too many scales and have settled on a Redding #2. I have been able to find fault in all of them but the Redding it is very repeatiable and sensitive enough to register 1 kernal of stick/extruded powder. Its not the cheepest or the most expensive but ultimately has cost me several hunderd dollars in getting to it. I have to try everything, the cheep ones and the expensive ones. So my point is dont buy good enough inless you are the type of guy that good enough is good enough.

i too am a broke reloader. i chose to buy a cheap scale that had semi good reviews, but only after the 50th measure did i realize it was not worth the hassle at all..
i have this one on the way http://www.brianenos.com/store/be.scale_be.html
from what i hear it is a really good one, and only less than $100
hope someone else here can +1 this scale
smile.gif

If your scale is not sensitive to a single kernel of powder, please ship it to me and I will make sure that it is. Please realize that I have established a rigid testing protocol. No scale leaves the shop without passing it. Also, I am in the business of scale tuning not cleaning. So if you ship me a dust covered scale, please do not assume that I am going make it dustless. If I have extra time to spend with your scale, I will. I will and do clean the bearings. That said, all the scales I supply are clean to start with.

Scott Parker
428 Holtby Rd.
Bakersfield, CA 93304

Kieth has sold his scale. If you might be the one who bought it, you are welcome to send it to me and have it checked and calibrated at no cost.

Scott Parker
428 Holtby Rd.
Bakersfield CA 93304

661 364 1199
[email protected]

Kieth, please send me your address so I can issue you a refund.

Scott Parker

Keith, please put me in contact with the person you sold the scale to. I do not want any scale I have worked on to not perform perfectly.

Thanks.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott Parker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kieth, please send me your address so I can issue you a refund.

Scott Parker </div></div> I appreciate your offer but not necessary I've deleted my post...thanks for a stand up offer.